1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you still have your Netflix DVD plan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

In theory, if you want to see new, first run movies when released to home...and you watch a lot of them, the Netflix plan CAN make sense over Redbox or paying 5.99 for the streaming rental. Its not CRAZY to think people still have the Bluray/DVD plan. That being said I gave mine up 8 years ago. Just don't watch enough first run rentals to justify.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Came to mock but there are some good arguments for keeping a disk plan.

TheFreak likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Physical DVDs and blue-rays make no sense with everything available through streaming. They're just a waste of time, energy, space and material IMO. I think people that like to have physical copies of music and movies over digital also have hoarder tendencies.

Nook likes this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I still get Bluray's in the mail. $10/mo, 2 blurays a week with the one day mail in Houston. I don't have premium cable, if I did then I would cancel the service but this is cheaper and I see movies earlier. Many of you may have forgotten about "bonus material" on DVD's. Netflix used to primarily mail "rental" DVDs but not anymore. You get the DVD with all the bonus material.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except everything is NOT available through streaming. If you read that article it states that there are 100,000 different options on DVD available but only like 6,000 streaming options at any given time.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Only time I watch DVD is when the blu-rays for a movie on Redbox are out...for a movie I don't want to wait to come out on Netflix or HBO/Starz/etc.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

My Sports Walkman has auto reverse.

K mf G likes this.
  8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Stop reminding me of good times now gone.

Favorite Lyric from this hugely underrated album:

Tell me 'bout the greatest show or the greatest movie you know
    or the greatest song that you taped from off the radio.
    Play it again and again it cuts off at the ending though.

K mf G likes this.
  9. body slam

body slam Member

I was thinking about reactivating my DVD plan. There are several series that are not available to steam. I do use Red Box every now and then.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

There is plenty to watch via streaming. Anything I want to see will eventually be on some streaming service. But I also go to the theatre a lot with my amc pass so, absolutely no reason for me to need Netflix discs

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I do still buy LPs and rip them to flac though ... Hahah, that's only because the record execs **** post processing/loudness wars. Streaming is great but unfortunately streaming services **** that up too/streaming the overproduced version.

Obviously I'll still stream too but certain releases I like to get the best version possible.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Don't get me wrong streaming in 4k is great, but it's not 4k blu ray great.... I'll still get select titles on 4k blu ray but mainly stream content unless it's something that deserves true 4k. I only subscribe to Netflix streaming though ..

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Except they aren't. I have Netflix streaming, YouTube Premium, Popcorn Time and I used to have HBO NOW. None of them even have the next four movies in my DVD queue. (A Perfect World, Wild Tales, Glass, and Foxcatcher.)

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why are people attacking Redbox? I still get Blu-Ray discs from there and play them on my Xbox.

Infinity War immediately only $2 @ redbox...it took forever to get put on Netflix, and it wasn’t $2 to stream

#34 Reeko, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  15. theimpossibles1

Redbox is cool but have yall heard about black box?

Apparently they're hard to find.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

4k content is still best found on Blu Ray.

But if you're paying sucker money for DVDs better off splurging for 4k Netflix

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I was paying for Blu-ray. 4k Neftflix doesn't have the latest releases (most of the time) and doesn't have the Blu-ray library that DVD Netflix has. I used the term "DVD" because that what Netflix calls it (even when u are getting Blu-ray Disc).

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's not 4k ultra Blu ray.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The mail subscription makes sense if you’re a movie buff that doesn’t pirate. Most people would rather watch whatever Netflix recommends then rewatch an older classic or research better films that aren’t available to stream. That’s mostly how I operate, though I’ll rent the new films on Redbox and own some harder to find films (Criterion mostly).

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

I pirate. Some movies aren't on there, either. (Or I don't know how to find them.)