1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you still gain any inspiration from Armstrong or Pistorius?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Caltex2, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Granted, there still needs to be an investigation on Oscar Pistorius' tragedy but if guilty of cold blooded murder, do you still gain anything from what they did in their sports given so much adversity despite what has happened to tarnish their legacy?

For example, sure Lance Armstrong lied and was a cheat but so was nearly every other cycle rider. I'm not saying that to justify what he did and tried to cover up more so than saying he was a former cancer stricken patient who rose up to the top of a sport and did so on an even playing field with most of the rest of his competition.

Pistorius may go to prison but what he did this summer is still inspiring imo.

What do you think?

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

never did to begin with so these news events have no impact in my life at all.

3. bongman

bongman Member

This is a difficult one. The way I look at it, he would not have been able to raise $500M for cancer research if he did not cheat.

4. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Cycling is a joke, the % of cheaters is so high that I do not really think any less of Armstrong the cyclist.... I never liked him as a person, he and my brother were in the same social circles and Armstrong was a dick.

I have no opinion of Pistorius, he was never an inspiration to me. I attempt to seperate the art from the artist.

I usually admire an athletes dedication or drive or talent ONLY.

1 person likes this.
  5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

armstrong may go down as a nefarious character, but i kinda think what he did was brave, especially after lying for so long.

on some level i respect him for coming clean.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He only admitted what was already proven anyway - and keeps on lying about everything else. That is NOT "coming clean".

And Pistorius - I admire how he overcame his handicap, but obviously, if he is a murderer, then all that goes out the window.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

man that pistorius guy is going to get bullied in jail so much

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I think what lance did to taint his image, as far as inspiring people, was much worse. Pistorious seems like a bad dude no doubt but he didn't lie about his achievements. In the end, I think the people still can draw inspiritation from these people's lives. You can look how people treated and adored them before them allegations and be inspired by that.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Neil Armstrong