1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you Remember...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dreamshake, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

The old school of this forum.

Though I show as only registering in 99, I changed my name that year, and lost my status. I believe I had been on the boards since almost the beginning in 97 at least 98.

But do any of you remember any of the old school?

Azim the Dream
    Almu
    Space City (I think I saw a post of his recently)
    TodtheBod
    I RockIT
    Popeye
    rockfan
    Pole
    grummert

Do you guys still post here...are you there, leave a post here.

Do you remember the contraversial Jazz/Rockets fan, Jenna?

Do you remember THE REAL LHutz, not the sham fake one who I still believe was a moderator here.

Ah reminicing old school clutchcity....its like remember 80s stuff, brings a tear to my eye.

#1 Dreamshake, Jul 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was reading the front page during the 98-99 season. Had just signed up for the board when the whole thing was moved and didn't bother to reregister for a while. I remember how excited everyone was about the draft picks every single year. Even the Jason Collier hype lead by The Cat himself. I remember the priceless exchanges between Jenna and fromobile. Hell there are even some of us who have grown up on clutchcity. Like Iron McFist is he even 18 yet?

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing as they still post (fairly) frequently, I am sure many "remember" them.

I remember his nick is grummett and he posted a few months ago so he is around, too.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I registered in 2002 an think I've seen them all post some what recently except for TodtheBod.

5. droxford

droxford Member

popeye is dead.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Started here at 15, going on 23 next month. :eek:

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

started here @ 16 or 17, going on 24 in 2 months.

f'ing crazy.

i remember both Jenna and fromobile, but TodtheBod doesn't ring a bell.

who were some of the bigger lakers fans on here back in the day? for some reason i remember disliking one in particular.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Started here at 15, will be 18 on the 11th.8)

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I seem to remember Tod as having a somewhat abrasive personality..

I remember alot of memorable folks that arent around anymore...I spent a long time lurking from back inthe day...I dont remember the exact date/year....but IIRC the url was clutchity.com when I first came here....

the board wasnt very active back then...I could check in once a week and still catch up on most posts in a short time.

for those that weere registered on the old board and didnt keep their old names, do you remember what they were?

10. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

i've been around since 96 or 97, too, and finally had to create this account when yao ming arrived (clutchcity blew up and required log-ins). i still remember when the front page splash was 'mario has left the building.'

speaking of old school posters.. yall remember 'hey partner?'

whatever happened to him? he posted A LOT.

11. Asian Sensation

What happened to Caucasian Sensation? I got the idea of my name after his.

12. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I was 15 and a freshman in high school when I first stumbled on Clutch City '97 ( back when it was on a school server). I'm 24 now, graduated college and am now married, but I still lurk everyday.

Anybody know what happened to Vega?

If I remember correctly, the original LHutz was a poster named abovedarim.

-Turbo

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's still alive.

14. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I do wonder what happened to rockfan.

Anti, remember when we used to exchange emails about our old Rockets sites? Or something. Can't believe it was so long ago. I was 15-16 when I first came to the site, 22 now.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I remember them all, mainly because I haven't gone senile yet.

The operative word is yet.

Tod the Bod hangs out at AstrosConnection.net more than here because he is a much bigger baseball fan than he is a basketball fan.

He and I had it out when he first got here several years ago, but after I got to know him (in a purely cyberspace/bbs manner) he turned out to be a very nice and sports-smart guy.

16. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I remember when RocketMan Tex used to be RocketMan West.

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Awww shucks! :D

That would be pre-October 1998.....

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I have to admit I forgot about the Rocketman West name - but yep, came flooding back when you mentioned it.

I saw this thread last night and went through some of my old archived stuff. It's amazing how much things have changed. When I first started doing the site, I spent so much damn time on it ... I mean sick amounts. At college on some nights, I would spend all night in the computer lab ... literally all night. If I left, I couldn't get back in so I just stayed trying to do a transparent GIF of Clyde Drexler or something :). The internet was so new and exciting then -- I didn't have access at home, so I had to go to computer labs on various campuses to maintain the site.

You guy's remember Marvin's Rockets Page? Before I started Clutch City '97, that was the site everyone knew about. It was like an all-links site and had some fun stuff. When I told him about CC97, he added a link to it and that's how the first traffic came about. The "Launch Pad" was the best site for news, etc.... "Deuce" of the BBS ran that site.

Back then you rarely could find a fan account of what happened in the game. You had to rely on ESPN's game page, which updated scores every 5 or 10 minutes. If there was a photo available from the game you were lucky. Now, you've got game threads, flash apps with live play-by-play, ability to download full games, etc.

Keeley, Kagy and I did a lot of crazy stuff... I mean just wild, fun stuff. Damn, the things we did to fans of other teams... the Spurs Report still probably has nightmares.

I know I sound like I'm telling an "uphill both ways in the snow" story, but still fun to look back.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm not nearly as much of an ass as I used to be.

Or......I've just learned to repress it better. Those were good times back then. I felt like I was part of something special. The site itself has improved by leaps and bounds (Thanks Clutch and crew), but sometimes I miss that "small town" feel......probably a cop-out on my part for not contributing more. I guess it's just easier to be a big fish when you're in a small pond.

20. droxford

droxford Member

Don't give up on that feeling. Ponds dry up. The Rockets are on a rise right now as T-Mac and Yao have awakened a lot of fans. But many of those fans will be lost years from now when the Rockets begin to slump again. It's cyclicle.