1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you really think we actually offered anyone the mle?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jerryclark, Jul 8, 2019.

?

Did we offer the mle this year

1. Yes. Nobody wants to play here

25.8%
  2. No. More savings and "flexibility"

74.2%
  1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Very simple question. Someone might have the quote of my guy triple chin saying "We plan to bring back our starters and add a star or midlevel player".
    Does anyone truly believe we tried to sign anyone? You think literally not a single free agent this offseason was good enough or wanted to take up our offer? Dan House and Green do not count. Keep in mind the only people we were reported to meet with were hillbillies looby and mcgee and they signed elsewhere for chump change.

Der Rabbi, BaselineFade and BallaDoc like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I was optimistic about it at the start of free agency that we have the MLE (or part of it) to use and improve the team. Now....not so much.

OtisHerrera likes this.
  3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Probably did to some garbage player like JaMychal Green.

GS just got Alec Burks. Their scouting is so good. He is a really good defender and finisher. He will fill that Igoudala void a bit.

4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I voted yes because maybe I want to believe, but I honestly have no idea. I’m still in a slight bit of basketball shock that we didn’t add some sort of piece with one our exceptions.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

No, probably saving it for the buyout market later in the season.

6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think he looked to see if anyone would take the TPMLE didn’t find anyone to play ball.

Then made the decision to not hard cap the team and take anyone who would sign for NTMLE.

Once house indicated he’d sign long term for less than mLE I think Morey decided to leave the FA pool to remain flexible.

Now if we don’t sign Shumpert or beg nene to take free money then it’s clear he didn’t sign anyone because of finances and cheapness

FrontRunner, Relativist and Ramo$e like this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

A player choosing another team is not equivalent to he didn’t want to play here or that we were the only team a player turned down.

And I’m going to guess that yes, it was offered to someone.

dmoneybangbang, HP3 and BigMaloe like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We basically have 8 playable guys under contract. Some moves will happen. I wonder why they haven't yet. What are we waiting for?

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know, maybe no one wants to play here, maybe not...what i know is that basically every ****ing playoff team in the West made some addition, while we're literally the same exact team as last season, and we are by far the oldest/injury prone one...and yeah, we have no depth too so, yeah, this is not good.

I really wonder wtf are the Rockets doing, maybe they're working on some big deals, i really hope that's true and something happens cause otherwise this season is already smelling like a bad one, and likely the last one with this core.

OtisHerrera, Little Bit and Reeko like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets were happy to sign anybody at a discount. That’s it. If they don’t re-sign Shumpert with bird rights, then that’s embarrassing.

I guess this is what we’re in store for going forward.

11. MC31B

MC31B Member

Trey Lyles and Dante Cunningham should both be offered the min right now with prayers that one of them will sign it.

True Rocket likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Shumpert needs to leave. Guy isn't good period and MDA will play him to the end

LorneMalvo likes this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Lord have mercy.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, they went after Butler.
    After Butler said no, they kept their own. (Rivers & Green on the minimum & gave part of the MLE to House)
    I don't believe they offered the full $9.2 or $5.7 to anyone.

5:24pm on June 30th

On Dan Patrick

We have our five that were the best team in the league down the stretch. We'll add a mid level that will get us to six. That's worst case. We're chasing one of these top free agents right now.

On Golic & Wingo

Q: Reaction when the news is out there that AD will be headed to the Lakers?

Another contender forms. Somehow we've been lost in the shuffle. We were the best team from the all-star break on. We're gonna either add a third star or top mid level player to our core & be better next year. For me, the story is how wide open the West is, we're right there in the mix & probably the favorite going into next year.

Q: Looking at your team & any kind of moves, how much of that changes with the Davis trade & injuries to Golden State?

Doesn't change much. We're all in. There's a lot of stars available, one in particular we're hoping will choose the Rockets. If they do, we're hoping to add them to James & Chris. If not, we'll spend whatever it takes(mid level). Most teams are struggling to keep their starting five. We're bringing back the starting five that was 29-4 or something down the stretch & add a sixth rotation player. We're excited about where we're at right now.

Q: Is everyone available?

We're pretty aggressive. We have a history of that. It creates tension because we are aggressive in trades. If we see a trade that'll upgrade the team, we'll do it. We feel like we should be the favorite in the West. That'll create tension when we do that. End of the day, we'll have at least our starting five back, which most teams are scrambling to keep. We'll spend MLE, into the tax, be one of the most expensive rosters like we were last year & this year and we'll be right there.

Q: Tilman someone you've had to adjust for? Is he all in on Mike since he didn't hire him?

He didn't hire anybody. He recognized he has a great thing here. He's worked to lock us all up into the future. Sometimes they've not gone as quickly. Tilman wants to win. He's spending whatever it takes. He's authorized me to go into the tax for multiple years going forward. We'll spend whatever it takes going forward. We have a new plane, new practice facility. Notion we're not spending is a weird one too. It's been frustrating the narratives around the team. It should & will shift soon to 'Look at what the Rockets did, they added this player, they're now the favorites in the West.'

#14 J.R., Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  15. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Your guy triple chin got found out. People called his bluff.

16. MC31B

MC31B Member

As a ninth man off the bench the Rockets could do worse. Do you really want Gary Clark over those two guys?

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

No, I don’t. I actually agree with you. The market for forwards is pretty slim right now. I just had bigger dreams.......

MC31B likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You have to keep him for trade purposes. They wasted a first rounder on him. Can't just let him walk for nothing.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

And now there's

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is not new, nor is the reaction.

It's not like we signed Austin Rivers or Faired on day one.

If anything, those midseason bench moves are more significant without an ungodly warriors super team breaking the league and forcing other teams to rely on their 6 best players for 35 minutes each.

The lies and hot air from the FO is causing more PR damage and cynicism than the usual disappointment...

Very interesting how Morty built a rep not unlike a single performer before FA and the trade deadline. Prob why other GMs seem likely to do more petty things to spite him. He def places his name over his team in these situations.