1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you really care about making playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TriCkz, Mar 1, 2010.

?

Do you really care about making playoffs?

1. Yes

324 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No

336 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

BTW where is Brandon "second round virgin" Roy now? Do you seriously think the Blazers have a legit chance at an NBA championship?

2. Codman

Codman Member

It's the subtle things you begin to notice about posters.

"Lifeisbutadream"...day dreaming through rationality since 2009/2010 :)

3. LifeisButaDream

Look up where the rockets were when we got Horry.Now look up what happen the next year.Now look at where were at now.Now do you get it.

4. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

....for most rookies, they're gonna take time to develop, especially outside of the guards because the power positions need time to grow into their body and get attributed to the physical levels of the NBA. what your saying is, let's get a high draft pick because they'll be able to be instantly valuable as soon as they step into the NBA.

Also, the more you lose, the less money the owner has/or is willing to spend. Quite often you see teams trading those high picks for some money and veterans because the owner can't afford to wait for this miracle rookie to turn everything around.

5. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

playoffs are too much fun to miss out on!

what is the sense in being a fan of your ball club if you don't want them to succeed anyways? :confused:

6. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

What's the point of the question?

Not to see my favorite team win just because of "chance of getting better players".
    What?
    You play to win. Simple as that.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

Thats why I say you tank for franchise players, not for role players. Franchise players come in and do a lot for your team right away. Increase interest and help your team win more games.

So no reason to tank now, yes a Greg Monroe could help this team but I'm not for tanking to get him.

8. LifeisButaDream

Who are these people that are saying we should tank :confused:

9. LifeisButaDream

Check this out http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2010/mockdraft We don't have to tank to get him.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, and how do you know not any of those teams ahead of us will take him?

That's why the draft is a crapshoot, Rockets wanted Roy, but Portland jumps ahead and takes him.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We were an average team (42-40) we wern't tanking, we were trying to win then, and we are (i hope) trying to win now. we were never floundering. i dont see your point

12. LifeisButaDream

Yes you play to win.But if win because you overachieve then making the playoffs. IS FOOLS GOLD.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

BTW we lost in the first round about 5 times before, further supporting my case.

14. Codman

Codman Member

This is becoming mildly r****ded. Let's rely on ESPN's Mock Draft... for the future :rolleyes:

Thank God for players, coaches and fans who value hard work and the desire to succeed.

15. LifeisButaDream

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You have a point, Monroe WOULD help this team MORE than getting swept by the Lakers.

The thing is, Monroe COULD be drafted right before us.

Also, I believe it is more important to sustain a reputation that this is a franchise that wants to win no matter what.

17. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

It seems to me that our best chance at landing Chris Bosh is if we make the playoffs.

I'm all about next year, but early in this season we were the Cinderella team for the league and everyone (players and writers) found us compelling. If we stay around .500 then it will be hard to capture anyones imagination in the offseason.

I say, make the playoffs! Then after Chris Bosh gets bounced from the first round by either Cleveland, Boston, or Atlanta he can watch our scrappy band of underachievers take the Lakers to 7 in the first or second round and know, "if I go to Houston (pause for effect, camera pushes in) we will be champions!"

Music up: We are the champions!

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thats the same thing I said.

Look at Ariza, he chose us over Portland supposedly...look at who we beat in the first round...Portland.

FAs will look at this team and say "I'm the missing piece, EVEN WITHOUT Yao I could take that team far."

This team was built around Yao, this team has a lot of depth still, they just lack a superstar.

19. MONON

MONON Member

We drafted Horry with the 11th pick. All the experts said we should have drafted Harold "THE NEXT MJ" Minor. My brother & I were at the Summit when that pick was announced. The booing was deafening. At the moment, we have the 12th pick. The teams below us are: Miami, LAC, Philly, Washington, Detroit, NY, Sac, Indy, GS, Minn & NJ in that order.

My question to you is this. Who was the talent to pass us up? My feeling is that everyone of those teams except Maimi are tanking for a shot at John Wall just like you want us to do.

20. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

Not really, We will probably get blown out without Yao