1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Do you really care about making playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TriCkz, Mar 1, 2010.

?

Do you really care about making playoffs?

1. Yes

324 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No

336 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Also Posted this on a more dead thread, but it has to do with us making the playoffs. I obviously voted to make the playoffs, the experience and excitement it brings is well worth it, but how do we get there? We have 23 remaining games and here's what we're up against...

I was considering making a thread for this, but I think it is best it just goes in here so I don't get flamed as much. I was a little bored so I started looking into the schedule up ahead. I Charted out the remaining 23 games and this is what I found:

Opponents +/- .500 Wins Realistic Playoff Chance
    Sac - 20 No
    Min - 14 No
    Det - 21 No
    Was - 21 No
    NJ - 6 No
    Den + 39 Yes
    Mem .500 30 Yes
    Bos + 37 Yes
    NY - 20 No
    Chi + 31 Yes
    OKC + 36 Yes
    LAC - 25 No
    LAL + 45 Yes
    Was - 21 No
    SA + 34 Yes
    Bos + 37 Yes
    Indiana - 20 No
    Mem .500 30 Yes
    Uta + 38 Yes
    Cha - 28 Yes
    Phx + 38 Yes
    Sac - 20 No
    NO + 31 Yes

Hope that comes out right, made the table in Excel, but not sure how to put that in a post. This is our last 23 games.

10 of the last 23 games are against teams ABOVE .500
    13 of which are then of course against teams BELOW .500

Of the last 23 games only 13 of them have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

If we get Lowry back soon, and Ariza and Battier healthy, we have a legitimate shot of winning 9-10 of those teams below .500. Of the remaining 13 games only a few stand out as probable losses, Denver, Boston (twice) and LA. However, we have proven that we can beat LA and Boston has only 37 wins thus far. I would say those three are our hardest games. We do still have other 50/50 games.

We play OKC, Phx, NO, Mem (twice), Chi, Uta, SA - We all know we are fully capable of beating and even DESTROYING these teams. Our next 5 games are against teams below .500, we need/must win 4 at the very least, but playoffs could come down to one game, so 5 is really better. After that we have 13 teams who will possibly be playing for playoff berths. That means of our last 18 games, only 5 of those are "gimmies" so it again it is important to take those games and fight for the others.

This may not have helped, or possibly been obvious and unnecessary, just thought I'd show yall our playoff picture...keep this in mind:

11. Mem 30-30 16 of their remaining games to teams above .500
    10. NO 31-30 14 of their remaining games to teams above .500
    9. Hou 30-29
    8. Por 36-27 Only 9 of their remaining games to teams above .500
    7. SA 34-24 16 of their remaining games to teams above .500
    6. OKC 38-24 14 of their remaining games to teams above .500

Mem, and NO are hot on our trail. As for those saying if anyone we'll replace Por, no so sure guys. Gonna be a tough battle.

2. Rockets Tehk

Rockets Tehk Member

The playoffs are proven to be more intense than regular season basketball. I think going to the playoffs would be great extra experience for our newly shaped team. Never count out a team for not being able to win a championship. Their game is brought to a new level during the playoffs. Also I heard Yao would be back in during playoffs. I don't know if that is still the case today. I think I read about it when the season was just starting.

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The Nets are not tanking (they just suck and cant win), why the rockets would do it?

If the rockets make the playoffs they would have the picks 17 - 19th picks.
    that is not bad, considering we will have Yao back, and Morey would make some good trades in the offseason.

4. LifeisButaDream

Still waiting for that easy schedule. :rolleyes:

5. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

No. We would get swept by the Lakers anyway.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

I'm fine with the team playing hard and not making the playoffs..it'll help us in the long run.. It sure looked like the rockets were tanking tonight though..I didn't see much effort...

7. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

if we coulld make it, it is a bouns,,,,if not,,i am cool with it. right now tanking for a good pick is not a bad idea at all

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It is easy, we just suck. :mad: