1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like the move to the AL?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbandit, Sep 2, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

This is deffinately old news, but this still bugs me. The Astros were in the NL for 50 years, have pretty much established themselves in the league's history and now instead of moving something like the Brewers back to the AL they're moving a historical NL team to the AL. Not only that, it also completely prevents an all-Texas world series, the only type of rivalry I'd want between the Rangers and Astros. Even if we beat them in the ALCS, and lose the World Series, what would be the point? Overall, when this season ends, and the move to the AL is finalized, I will officially stop following the Astros and put my focus on the Rockets and Texans. What do you guys think?

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Do you really even have to ask this question? Any true fan hates this.

3. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

I know, but there are actually some people that like it!

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

They should move back to Dallas :p

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I don't really like it, but I also don't hate it the way most fans seem to. In the end, the Astros are still my team and I'm going to be a fan regardless of their league affiliation.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Like RKREBORN said, there's no reason for a true fan to like the move. The only positive I can think of is seeing the 'popular kids' aka Yankees and Red Sox more often and their wider national TV exposure. But that's only if you're a casual fan.

Otherwise we're facing later start times, a more difficult road to playoffs (cushy NL central vs Rangers/Angels dominated AL west), loss of pitchers batting, and many long developed rivalries (Cards/Braves/Cubs).

#6 xcrunner51, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  7. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Deffinately going to miss the rivalries with Cards and Braves, I just wish there was anything somebody could do to cancel the move. But one thing I never understood (I'm not big on Baseball... At all) is why the AL and NL are completely different leagues, and it's not like the NBA or NFL that have conferences, under 1 league and 1 set of rules.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its not going to hit me until next year. Ask me then.

9. msn

msn Member

I don't agree with this sentiment. All of us are wired differently and have different perspectives and experiences that form our tastes and preferences. If someone is excited about the AL move, it doesn't mean he is less a lover or supporter of the Astros.

That, and the whole concept of "true fan" is simply ludicrous to me.

That said: the AL sucks, this is an NL town, and McLane, Selig, Crane, and anyone else who had anything to do with this atrocity (Mr. Ryan included) can kiss my blue-and-orange ass.

**** the AL. **** the DH. **** Bud Selig.

That is all.

10. Grape_Swisha281

a "true fan" would follow there team no matter what... and idk y all animosity against the Dh.. more offense makes the game more entertaining per say. With the leagues being split at 15 and 15 next season and a balanced schedule, NL teams were gonna have to play a lil AL ball througout the season.. IMO i think eventually both leagues will have the Dh to generate more casual fans with all the runs (as i stated earlier)

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

:p

1 person likes this.
  12. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

There's nothing about this move I like:
    -Selig continues to make us his b*tch.
    -Rangers gain everything from this move on top of getting Round Rock and Corpus Christi plus FSN's footprint.
    -We lose our NL rivalries which were fun to watch.
    -***** the AL and especially the DH*, Yankees, and Red Sox (and ******* I am so sick of how good a move this is because we get to see more Yanks/Sox. :mad:)

*And to be fair, the best move would be to have both leagues adopt the same rules. Either have the DH for both or none for both (the latter my preference of course).

13. msn

msn Member

soooo, everyone else is a "false fan"? whatever.

because it sucks. because baseball was *great* and captivated a nation for 100 years without it. because it is a cheap gimmick. because it allows for players to play only half the game.

First of all, it's per se. Secondly, I find *baseball* entertaining, not softball or batting practice.

yes, there will be even less *baseball* being played next season.

sadly, I think you're right. disgusting.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There's too much radicalism/fanaticism in life already, don't add sports to the list. Yes, a 'true' fan(atic) would follow their team no matter what. A true fanatic would also drink the cyanide-laced potion and blow himself up for a cause. In short, a 'true' fan by your definition is a moron. See Cubs fans for an example.

By blinding supporting the team for so long, they haven't put pressure on the management to make legitimate improvements. Thus the Cubs have been mediocre for over a century now.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

To be fair, it isn't like they don't try. They just suck ass at it.

16. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Cubs are the most useless team. Why don't they move them to the AL instead of us? I don't care if Chicago would have 2 AL teams, it's not like the White Sox won't ever be overtaken by the Cubs, it's like the Clippers taking over the Lakers. Could you imagine? Nope.

17. msn

msn Member

Moving the Cubs would have been even more stupid than moving the Astros. Should have moved the Brewers, Rockies, or Dbacks.

1 person likes this.
  18. Grape_Swisha281

1. didnt mean it that way but take it how you want
    2. pitchers are paid goooood money to go out there and pitch not hit homeruns or produce offense..( i guess your against the punters and kickers of the world)

19. msn

msn Member

...but yes, the Cubs are useless. Completely Useless By September, in fact. :)

20. msn

msn Member

just taking your point to its logical end.
    pitchers are paid to play baseball. swinging the bat 3 or 4 times a game never hurt Satchel Paige, Bob Gibson, Cy Young, Dizzy Dean, Bob Feller, Don Drysdale, etc; guys who by the way generally pitched on three days' rest rather than four, routinely pitched complete games, and didn't live on "pitch counts".

modern MLB is a wussy gimmicky game.

1 person likes this.