1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like the Chuck Hayes signing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation97, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Do you like the Chuck Hayes signing?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2015.
  1. YES

85.5%
  2. NO

14.5%
  1. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

"Rockets have agreed to terms with free agent center Chuck Hayes on a one-year veteran's minimum deal, sources told Yahoo Sports."

At 6'6 and 240lb, Hayes is obviously an undersized Center but has proved to be somewhat valuable in stages of his career. However, his vet's minimum contract means the Rockets paid virtually nothing for him.

Do you like this signing?

2. Ns575

Ns575 Member

How deep can we get?!

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Locker room leader, situational defensive stopper, proven NBA player who can fill in when asked.

Exactly what a win now contender needs on the end of the bench.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Needs a 3rd option. "Meh" would be appropriate IMO.

5. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Humble and can count on him to do the small role we ask. I love it. Sometimes it's these signings that fly under the radar come end of season.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I tend to say yes but he is not going to help us much in the regular season or at all on the court

His values should be off the court and mentoring younger players

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Seconded

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Hayes is one of my all time favorite Rockets. Do I like him to an irrational extent. Of course -- always have, I always will. But, I do really think he could be a positive asset in certain situations where a defensive stopper is needed.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

In the 12-15 range on our roster so I have no problem and he seems like a good guy to have around.

Would be disappointed if this meant no jet tho

10. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Hopefully he can infuse this team with some of the spirit of our 2009 run with Artest and Yao

11. Rocket_Man_2.0

Nope. We passed on better players.:rolleyes:

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean, if we are relying on Hayes for big minutes we are in huge trouble, but I think this is a smart bet on a 3rd string center who can fill in spot minutes in case one of DMO or Dwight get the injury bug again. It sounds like Houston is stocking up at the big spots since those tend to be our most injured players - smart bet if you ask me.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Chuck Hayes. He was huge and played with great heart playing beyond his size and skills because of effort.

He's aged since then, and surely there's been some degradation in his game.

But he's also learned since his time with the Rockets, there are going to be things that he's better at than he was before. His effort can absolutely still be there.

I welcome him back. He's not going to be 6th man of the year or anything, but he can be a good influence on the team, and maybe give some valuable minutes.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Agreed. Not a Hayes fan

15. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Loved Hayes in his first stretch in Houston. I'm afraid with Dwight, Motiejunas, and Jones's health concerns he may be asked to play significant minutes. I don't think his one dimensional skill set will bode well in that case.

16. AFS

AFS Member

I'd say he's a pretty good passer too, so maybe two-dimensional.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

I like the Chuckwagon but I think he is too close to the end of his career to make a difference. I hope to be wrong.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Better than Joey Dorsey.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm OK with it but signing Hayes doesn't move the needle .... He shouldn't get many minutes unless someone else goes down with an injury.

I did want another big .... but one who might allow for Jones to be traded down the line. I don't believe this signing accomplishes that. You don't want Hayes playing 20 minutes or more a night. Then again , you probably don't sign a guy who can give you significant quality minutes for the vet min.

He's better than Dorsey ....

20. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

A huge upgrade if you look at it that way!