1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Like New Age Music?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AXG, Jul 15, 2009.

?

Do You Like New Age Music?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. No Opinion

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. AXG

AXG Member

My parents used to play this all the time when I was a kid and in school my teachers played it during a test or assignment. It gets stuck in your head and I'm humming it throughout the day.

It's very relaxing, meditative music and uses a blend of world and western instruments.

Some of the more well-known New Age artists:
    Enigma
    Enya
    John Tesh
    Mike Oldfield
    Yanni
    Manheim Steamroller

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I only had Pure Moods when I was young... when I was young... :eek:

"Michael Bolton, Kenny G, George Michael and Yanni, the four horsemen of queer... I listened to them for one minute and I got my period... " - :p
    Name that comedian ^ (difficulty: moderate)

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

With the exception of Enya, NO.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

absolutely do not at all

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I only dislike two types of music: Country & Western ;)

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Enigma was sweet "getting it on in the back seat of my crummy car" music in High School, but no. Can't stand it now.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I do like some New Age, but none of those you listed.

Sigur Rös, a bit of Deep Forest and few others maybe.

Not my favorite genre, but I do enjoy some.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

9. Nero

Nero Member

You really need to separate Yanni and John Tesh from the rest of this group. I don't know that you can really lump all those together. Oh and stick Ray Lynch in with those two as well. Yanni is far better than either though.

But if you are thinking of the ever-changing style of Enigma, then you would probably also like B-Tribe. Start down that path and it is not long before you are at places like Soma Sonic, Dead Can Dance, Jocelyn Pook, Jocelyn Montgomery, VAS... go the other way, there's Loreena McKinnet, Trans-Siberian Orchestra (not only Christmas stuff), Hevia, Blue Man Group ....

There's plenty to like within that wide category, when you can go from something like Hildegaard Von Bingen and then wind up listening to Juno Reactor, and still feel relatively comfortable.. LOL

Oh and a thread like this should never be left without a special mention for the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ... which is simply one of the very best, most sublime things ever recorded. Forget the movie, listen to the soundtrack. Peter Gabriel is truly an artist.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like Enigman and Mannheim Steamroller but not the others

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My teacher used to turn out the lights in my freshman theater class and we would all lay on the floor and listen to this type of music. Years later the guy was fired for banging one of his students.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He banged her during class when all the lights were off?

Wow.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Haha, no I don't think so but that would have been a pretty epic way to go out.

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Is it odd that I don't know a single one of those bands/people?

15. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I only know one of the artists you listed, John Tesh... only because of this song

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-WA4xEal2s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-WA4xEal2s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Sigur Ros isn't new age, lol - they are post rock.

Agree with Nero on Peter Gabriel's Passion (they wouldn't let him name the album "The Last Temptation of Christ" for some reason but the music goes to that movie).

I like Enya and Enigma and some Yanni but not a fan of John Tesh. Enigma's first album still holds up pretty decently. Mike Oldfield is an artist that I enjoy a lot. My recommendation is to get the first 2 volumes of the Pure Moods series and if you like individual songs, to get the albums by those artists like Enya, Enigma, Clannad, Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre, Delerium, etc.

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i listen to it all the time when i'm cleaning my weapons or sharpening my knives.

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I find that Hungarian Polka puts me in that special mood.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Enigma - still love their stuff even after their initial album. They're one of only a handful of groups I heard for the first time and immediately said "wow". It was simply because they were so different from the mainstream and sounded good.
    Enya - I won't deny her voice is great, but if I ever need to go into a coma, I'll pass on drugs and listen to her instead. I can listen to her, though.
    John Tesh - eh
    Mike Oldfield - who?
    Yanni - Some of his stuff actually sounds good, but he just looks annoying.
    Manheim Steamroller - great for Christmas, but I'm not sure I've listened to their stuff outside of the holidays. Maybe I should look into it.

I like listening to all kinds of music and can listen to New Age stuff (whatever that really is... :D)

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've been to a YANNI! concert. Tickets were like 50 bucks or something. It was good though.

I remember back in the day this Houston sports radio host (I think Dan Patrick) said Yanni looked like the white Warren Moon. I never understood that resemblance though.