1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like Mole?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Oct 25, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread is inpired by kidcave9's post about going to Mexico City

I love Mole, but have only been to two restaurants in my live that I'd recommend, one in Mexico City. The other in Aspen, CO.

I love Mole, because Rick Bayless is one of my heroes in life. I make one of his Mole's for Xmas gifts and to can for the year. It cans very well.

Yet I went to Topolobampo in Chicago and wasn't as excited as I wanted to be.

I just now last month found a Mole in a restaurant in the US that floored me. Please tell me there are other places than going to Aspen, CO.

Do not underestimate the power of money at ski resorts to attract great chefs?

http://www.zocalito.com/

2. heypartner

Forgot to add, the place in Mexico City probably is the best in the world. Here's the link

They say they never stop simmering the clay pot. It's 24/7. They just keep adding more to it. I'm sure that's what the Aztec Kings demanded.

http://www.pujol.com.mx/

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You didn't specify which kind of mole. Oaxacan is the best.

4. heypartner

I have to go to Oaxaca?

Yes, I know I can fall in love with many different types of Mexican woman. But I need to know where the best are, specifically in the US.

uh...I mean Mole...Mole is a euphemism for life, no?

5. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i had good mole in mexico city, but oaxaca is the epicenter of mole. it is serious stuff there...multiple different and distinct styles that are tied to different regions. similar to how german sausages are all 'linked' to specific areas of germany. and the chocolate there too...i remember a street that reeked of chocolate and cinammon...all chocolate stores. one of my top 5 mexican cities for shizzle. food, easy walkable city with cool colonial architecture, university town so lots of young people and an international student body, cool nightlife, awesome museums, monte alban, tons of cool indigenous arts and crafts which is great for souvenir shopping.

curras in austin does a pretty good mole. and there is a mexican restaurant on s. congress and william cannon called jaliscos - their mole with chicken is legit.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

N'ah he's a ball hog...:p

1 person likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are 7 types of mole in Oaxaca alone. Then there is the mole poblano which is probably what you are talking about. Mole Verde, pipian, etc.

If I want serious mole, I want Oaxacan mole negro.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep absolutely. I didn't like it until my aunt made it. I've had it in Oaxaca. It's crazy all the colors they have

Houston has some places for it too. Hugo's for one

11. heypartner

One of my favorite things in clutchcity.net experience is to witness rimbaud explaining history. It's right up there with aelliott explaining the CBA.

Cheers.

In this case, I was somewhat joking about my lack of knowledge. Mole is one of my five hobbies. I think Rick Bayless has 7 recipes in one book alone that don't have pablano in it, that I've studied.

anyhoot, part of this thread is that I'd really like a US recommendation. What's the best mole you've had at a restaurant in the US?

12. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

Thought this thread was going to be about Avogadro's number, what with October 23rd just recently passing...

1 person likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would rep if possible.

in response to HP, i love mole......don't get it much here in europe, but recently had it an authentic mexican restaurant in italy. i especially like when it dries up on a tortilla like fine butter icing on a cake

i'm a fan of rick bayless' guacamole mix.....hard to believe he's skip bayless' brother though

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

15. Buck Turgidson

It's so easy to screw up. I thought I hated it for so long because I had terrible mole once, then I had it done proper and was converted. As mentioned, Oaxaca is the place. Hugo's in htown and Fonda San Miguel in Austin are solid. If anyone wants to dabble at home, Rick Bayless has good recipes on his website.

16. heypartner

omg ... my new hero is El Toro.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Mole is one of my favorite authentic Mexican dishes. I'm really picky about it because I love the one my mother makes but I was just in Salt Lake City a few weeks ago and this place was legit.

[​IMG]

They have an awesome mole sampler....

[​IMG]

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this the Mexican hipster version of Tapas?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/csH2jWGyzrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Peanut butter or no peanut butter?

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Guaca mole is my favorite.

[​IMG]