1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

At what point do these men in Ohio (and elsewhere) need to take responsibility for their own lives? And, what they consume.

2. dmoneybangbang

The result of conservative drug prohibition policies. Sad.

3. dmoneybangbang

And Protestants burned witches just a few hundred years ago.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We should also look back at the barbaric and bloodthirsty practices of our European forebears. The violent culture goes back thousands of years on that continent as well.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

LOL, not on the same scale. It's not even close.

6. dmoneybangbang

Cartels do cross the border... they have networks of tunnels and logistic companies to move their product.

7. dmoneybangbang

And? Before they burned witches they fought a religious war against Catholics.

But the greater point remains that just because the Mayans and Aztecs did something hundreds of years ago, that shouldn’t reflect on the current society... who I may add is a mix of Spanish European and Aztec or Mayan.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Everyday.

BruceAndre likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

Maybe you missed the bigger picture here, which is that you said something dumb and racist. You're suggesting -- and correct me if I'm inferring the wrong thing -- that because Aztecs did things like human sacrifice centuries ago (or thousands of years ago, if you want to insist on your understanding of the timeline), that the violence of that culture has been preserved all this time, either through some gene in their bodies or some meme passed through the culture, to the present day. So that the present manifestation of violence in the drug war is because Mexicans are intrinsically more prone to violence than people in other cultures. Never mind that you can find acts of barbarism in every society. Never mind that our own American history is filled with terrible stuff like colonialism, slavery, and genocide. Also never mind that the other half of Mexico's ancestry -- Europeans from Spain -- defeated, murdered, and exploited the native peoples in an even more underhanded and bloodthirsty ways. So, am I getting you right? You think Mexicans are naturally more violent than say Americans because they've inherited a culture of violence passed down from a civilization defeated 500 years ago?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. Cohete Rojo

You are a perfect example of a nihilistic pettifogger: the cancer that will bring down the United States. @JuanValdez has the nihilism down, let’s see if he goes full pettifogger.

11. dmoneybangbang

Loose conservative labor laws, conservative push for low minimum wage, and the complete inability to meaningfully prevent employers from hiring illegal immigrants enable illegal immigration.

Conservative drug prohibition creates a black market, the cartels control the black market out of Mexico. Sucks you can't see it, but you can't answer why the GOP can't go after employers in any meaningful way.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think we should increase border security in case someone in the president's inner circle makes a break for it.

13. Cohete Rojo

Stunning revelation:

Mexican Drug Cartels Fueling Chicago Violence

Chicago’s connection to Mexican drug cartels was magnified with the recent arrest of El Chapo, head of the Sinaloa cartel.

El Chapo led one of the most prominent drug cartels in Mexico–known to supply drugs sold on Chicago’s streets.

There is no doubt that street violence in the city is tied to drug sales.

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Three things:

a) the amount of "witches" burned at the stake/killed in the English/American colonies was nowhere close to the killings that the Aztecs and Mayans did of their own people. Besides disease that the Spaniards brought, I believe that this violence left (what would become) Mexican society disunited, and ripe for conquest by the Spaniards. And, do we not see violence and disunity in Mexico today?

b) the past absolutely matters -- and the track record of the Aztecs and Mayans I think indicates a violent disposition that has remained in the culture and DNA of what would become modern day Mexico. The people of modern day Mexico are descendants of the Mayans/Aztecs, in many cases, and carry their culture and DNA.

c) despite b) I'm generally pro-Mexico/Mexican, and I enjoy traveling to Mexico, and interacting with its people. They're not all crazy violent people; most are very warm and friendly. Some of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met. But you cannot deny the impact and importance of history, evolution, culture, and DNA on any society. And there is a minority (maybe a large minority) of Mexicans who are regularly violent. I believe this tendency can be traced to their ancestors, and culture. The same is true, in general, in any country.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is silly.

a) The amount of violence Aztecs and Mayans did of their own people was nowhere close to the wars and violence Europeans did to their own people. The Vikings were constantly raiding and killing. Look at the Picts.There was the war of roses, the thirty-years war, dozens of revolutions, etc. That is not counting the human sacrifices and violence

b) If the violent behavior of the past matters do we see that Scandinavians are living in a brutal violent society today?

c) despite b) I'm generally pro-European/Scandinavian, and I enjoy traveling there and interacting with the people. Despite their culture, DNA etc. Somehow it is less violent with less murder than what goes on in places where the Mayans and Aztecs lived.

Your belief falls flat.

16. conquistador#11

U.S, stop consuming so much cocaine! Can you believe it? 1/10 people use an illegal drug.Michie, get the ye-yo
    [​IMG]

17. dmoneybangbang

Yep. Conservative policies inaction. Toss in conservative patchwork gun laws... viola Chicago.

18. dmoneybangbang

Well then Protestant and Catholic Europeans take the evil murderous prize for their ancestors.

19. Cohete Rojo

I can’t think of too many other first world countries that have such a large unsecured border with a third world shitstain, as the US does with Mexico.

Democracy is being threatened by these criminals.

Mexico violence: Newly elected Congresswoman kidnapped

[​IMG]

A newly elected Mexican Congresswoman, Norma Azucena Rodríguez Zamora, has been kidnapped at gunpoint on a highway in central Hidalgo state.

Two men shot at Ms Rodríguez's car, injur
    ing an assistant and the driver and causing the vehicle to flip over.

The gunmen pulled Ms Rodríguez from the car and forced her into their vehicle.

20. JuanValdez

Good word. I admit I had to look it up.