1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Do you collect anything?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Nah, he's a Lego, Star Wars, Star Trek, fantasy book dork...but he don't give a s**t about no zombies

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1. Physical Video games
    2. Watches
    3. Coins
    4. Magic the Gathering cards
    5. Comics (just a few number 1s)

DD

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Antique desktop-sized globes. They are hard to find in my price range but I have four altogether and one that sort of looks like this, though mine is older with a late 1800's map.
    [​IMG]

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Keep an eye on ShopGoodWill.com, Goodwill’s auction site. You can set up a ‘personal shopper’ to email you when certain keywords pop up. The only caveat is that it expires monthly and you have to manually reset it.

rimrocker likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

isn’t nature wonderful? hey hey, yeah yeah yeah yeah

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now this is a collection ... got. dang.

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Waxing angry dork here- this guy shouldn’t even be touching these books and should have had anything casually valued at over $1k couriered to CGC for grading. SMH

He’s ****ing holding it by the spine.

https://www.cgccomics.com/

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. There are 2 kinds of comic collectors - ones that love comics just for the nostalgia and comics themselves and there are those who are slab freaks. :D There are a lot of people that don't care about the value or grades of the books as much as just owning them and being able to turn the pages on history/touch them. Putting them in a slab kills that. A lot of collectors crack the CGC/CBCS slabs to get at the comic. Some of the ones in the collection were apparently slabbed at one point, and the collector took them out of the slab once he bought them.

I chat with a lot of old school Golden Age collectors that bought a lot of their collections in the 1960's through 1980's for pennies or at least really cheap by today's prices, and now a lot of those comics are worth thousands. They couldn't care less about whether they're slabbed or not. Most of them think slabbing is killing the hobby. Actually, I guess there are 3 kinds of collectors - the 3rd being ones who really don't care if they're slabbed or not. Apparently this collection is going to take a couple of years to get sold off in multiple auctions. The best comics will get slabbed before they're sold. Man, I'd love to hear the backstory behind this collection. It might just be some rich guy that bought up millions in comic books for the hell of it.

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Korok seeds!

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

What kinds of physical video games? I have an original Space Invaders cabinet that’s been refurbished inside with a 60 in 1 Raspberry PI. Donkey Kong(s), PacMan(s), Asteroids, Space Invaders (obviously), Dig Dug, Burgertime, Galaxian. Frogger, Galaga and a whole crapload of other games - most of which I don’t car about.

I love the cabinet though. Even when it’s off it looks cool. Was last registered in SC in 1985. Has quite a few cigarette burns that add to the patina.

[​IMG]

#172 ArtV, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Blake, FrontRunner and Xerobull like this.
  13. Xerobull

I've got a Breakout cabinet with the same 60-in-1. Kids love it. Also have a sit-down Crusin' USA as well as several of those 3/4 size Arcade1up replications (which are surprisingly good). Also have a Street Fighter II sit-down cocktail table.

ArtV likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So apparently this is the Ian Levine (dj, producer, Pet Shop Boys/Erasure stuff, etc.) collection that Sotheby's has been trying to sell as an entire set for about 3 years now. From Googling, the original ask price was around $10 million. I guess it's being busted up and sold in multiple auctions now. This video about the collection was put out by DC comics 3 years ago :

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Nice! I was wondering about how good the 3/4ers are. My friend poopoos them but that just because he’s a “classic” guy.

He goes to auctions and repairs/sells games as a side hustle hobby. I talked him into getting Crusin’ USA but said I wanted a linked pair so you race each other. He did it but spent way more because to link he had to get the exact same boards (software versions) before they could communicate. Now he wants to keep them (plus I don’t have room). Also has 3 Waverunners linked. He does have a Target: Terror that he’s willing to “loan” me because every time I come over, I play that one the most (and he needs the space)

16. Xerobull

I like the Arcade1up cabs because of the smaller footprint, especially depth-wise. As you know, old school arcade machines are big and heavy and deep. I have both Tron and Star Wars and they play perfectly.

ArtV likes this.
  17. Xerobull

That cab is gorgeous.

ArtV likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Prez of my company showed off his latest addition today to his collection (he has every Silver age Marvel comic all the way up to 2012). It's fun to live vicariously, at least.

upload_2023-7-18_13-15-56.png

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

yeah, sure . . . but does he have a helicopter?

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club