1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Do you collect anything?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Google says yes

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think I have about 30 of the first 50-55 issues of ROM. :D
    BTW, IDW had a 2nd series of ROM back around 2016, if you're interested in that run.

subtomic and Entropy like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I collect rockets and astros bobbleheads. Also Jordan shoes and hou oiler memorabilia. I love trades!

BigM and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Damn Aerogarden couldn't do tomatoes for ****.

5. Buck Turgidson

That's a cool one I've never thought about.

6. Buck Turgidson

Those are fun, low maintenance.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think Aerogardens are a waste unless you want to grow some herbs inside your house during the winter and don't have a window with enough light coming through or have a bunch of animals outside you can't stop from eating your plants ... just put a tomato plant in some dirt and keep it watered with some tomato fertilizer. Then pray birds and hornworms don't get at them. They shouldn't be that difficult to grow.

I've seen Aerogardens work great, but you can get some dirt in a pot and do it outside for less money.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  8. Roscoe Arbuckle

For the time being, only have a small concrete patio. Although I guess I could try a large clay pot.

9. Buck Turgidson

I'm getting ready to fire up my rock tumbler again, just need to order the grit, and the 2nd grit, and the polish grit. I have all the rocks. I have cardboard boxes and boxes of rocks.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There's a guy at the antique mall near Spring off 2920 that always reloads boxes of $1 comics that I like digging through. There are always ROM comics.

subtomic likes this.
  11. Supermac34

Do you have that set of playing cards that they handed out to the soldiers in Iraq with all the "most wanted" terrorists?

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, ROMs of that era aren't too hard to find, depending on what condition you're willing to accept. If you can accept a grade of 5-7, you can get them for around $4-$10 apiece. I remember getting free comics just a few years ago from stores that are probably worth something now. lol. It's been a crazy ride the past few years.

I don't even remember how I got so many of them, tbh, since I liked the character's look (except for the scanner), but wasn't really all that into him when I was younger. I've had them since the 80's or 90's, though.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes! I got so excited when I heard they were producing that.

This thread is making me want to rehabilitate my collection and start growing it again. But my problem has always been, where the heck do I put all these things.

I have another collection ticking time bomb. My father is an artist and has been painting for over 60 years now. He has sold plenty and the houses of friends and family hang many, but when my parents die, I'll probably have something like 300+ paintings in storage to figure out what to do with. Can't hang them all, can't throw them away, and the market for good-but-not-famous art isn't very liquid. And, paintings aren't as compact or rugged as playing cards, so storage in the interim will cost money. I'll probably pay to store them, and occasionally rotate through my big collection to decorate my house. Maybe my kids will do so as well when they grow up. But if I have grandkids, they're going to wonder why we're keeping around these old paintings from the 20th century by an ancestor they never met.

14. Xerobull

You could get some hanging planter boxes and face them inward so you don’t run afoul of your apt’s rules.

15. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Bad memories and debt

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

On an apocalyptic note, I have this whole shelf in my pantry closet dedicated to canned foods I never got around to eating. I mean...this stuff is two to three decades old. I've also got some of that pouch tuna fish I never ate sitting in there. I mean...unless I see a can bubbling up at the top or leaking...it's still edible right. Mostly, I've only had problems with old canned food where it's fruit and it has those flip top lids where those have come open on me before in the pantry. I have this mindset that, if an apocalyptic event occurred and I needed emergency food...then I would resort to this really old canned food to keep me going when all fresher goods have been consumed. So, I collect really old canned food that I believe would still be perfectly edible. We've all seen the YouTube videos of dudes opening really old canned food and eating it. And, that food is like way back. My stuff only goes back to the 90s. lol

Does anyone else have really old cans of food that they want to throw out but can't or don't that they collect for those emergency reasons? You never know what can happen. Best to be prepared. I'm not really one to go to Academy and buy those MRE type meals.

Honestly, I hate looking at those old cans. They kind of make me nauseous thinking about them. But, they're there. Rarely, I'll throw something away from up there. Responses I'm looking for are..."we all do it" or "you're f-ing crazy, dude".

#116 Surfguy, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

I recently threw out two cans of collectible Nintendo branded energy drink that were 20 years old. The seals on the top decided to give out and it was oozing black tar.

My buddy back in the day drank an old old can of bud he found in an outdoor closet. It had one of those pop tops that peel off so it was at least 20 years old at the time in 2003 when he drank it. Instant projectile vomit.

I don’t start tossing **** until the space gets so low I go defcon on the entire pantry. I did recently toss some four year old cans of tuna.

So we all do it.

Surfguy likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The latter.

However... if you go on to the wonder that is YouTube, there are people that open decades/century-old canned foods and sometimes taste test them. They keep finding thousands-year old bog butter in Ireland and one or two people have tasted it from what I recall. lol.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think canned tuna probably lasts years beyond the "best by" date. After about 6 or 7 years, you could probably throw it back in the ocean and watch it swim free again.

20. Supermac34

There is actually a pretty good market for non-decorator art on eBay if you set up a little eBay shop and want to sell it for reasonable prices.