1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Do you believe in Creation or Evolution?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by 3814, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
?

Do you believe in Creation or Evolution?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2011.
  1. Creation

37 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Evolution

93 vote(s)
    71.5%
  1. LScolaDominates

Regardless of what a "day" means in the scripture, the Genesis time line is still incompatible with evolution. Land animals, "created" on day 6, evolved before (and into) birds, "created" on day 5.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dei

Dei Member

Maybe it's talking about mammals? Birds are an offshoot of dinosaurs.

3. SunsRocketsfan

I think this explains everything

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p2QO3c9JL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

But that's not what bible says. God created day and night on the first day. God created man and woman on the 5th day.

That seemed to be pulled out of imagination according to known geological and archeological evidences.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

The timeline is completely messed up, but the bible is still a great book, if the fables are removed.

6. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

so are you saying that your faith saves you? I control whether or not I have faith, so then I can control whether I am saved or not?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Why not? Extraordinary people can cure addictions with their mind.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

My belief is that God new how man would turn out and planned to send Jesus all along. I mean he can see the future. Man and woman do have free will and will be judged for their choices when he/she dies. God did not change between the Old and New Testaments. The difference is that when Jesus died for our sins and rose from the grave on the third day, the Holy Spirit was released into world. When a person accepts Jesus as their Lord and Savior, they are anointed the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is in every person who believes in Jesus.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

evolution is so powerful that a species evolved with the capability to debunk evolution and replace it with something called creation. Which is when a supernatural undetectable being creates everything in the universe including the universe itself. Evolution, showing more of it's power, was able to evolve beings that would create multiple versions and variations of this thing called creation.

10. LScolaDominates

Even so, Genesis 1:20-22 specifically qualifies all life created on Day 5 as either bound to the sea or as flying with wings (כָּנָף). There is no mention of land-dwelling animals before Day 6.

11. mclawson

mclawson Member

That seems like a cop-out. If god can see the future and knows everything we will do and has it all planned out ("it's god's plan" is something I hear all the damned time) then why do things like prayers even matter? How is it free will if he already knows (sees the future - your words) everything that will happen?

And you're telling me that there's no difference at all in the tone of the old and new testaments? Really? Really? Huh.

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

God knows what he will determine.
    God gave man independent choice which is slightly different than free will.
    God does not know what independent choices humans make.

Having all knowledge is more quantitative than predictive.

God knows what is going to happen according to His plan, and He intervenes in choices also which makes it harder to understand.

So many choices are predictive and many are effects of various causes. Independent choices typically are moral choices and always morally motivated.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you acknowledge the belief that God is all knowing and all powerful, then no man can imagine what it would be like to be God. Humans are bound to time. We are forced to think in a linear line of the past, the present and the future. Our minds are only limited to what we have discovered. In the grand scheme of the universe,whether you believe in creationism or evolution, we are not even a speck of sand on a beach. Its challenging enough to imagine what you could do with those powers, much less reason with God.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I would like to know who are those 49 people.

15. LScolaDominates

But God created us as reasoning creatures, right? Because we are bound to time, as you say, and our perspective is thereby limited, it is only natural for us to conceive of God within the bounds of (human) logic. In fact, we are incapable of perceiving Her in any other way. If God exists, we know about Her inasmuch as we know about ourselves, the same way we know about an artist by examining her art. So reasoning with (about?) God is absolutely something we can do, if She exists. It's the other things, like the transcendental properties of Her existence, that are beyond the scope of human knowledge.

God is not a scientific concept, at least not as a premise of any creation "theory." Science deals with what we can understand. The theory of evolution is not concerned with any divine creator, and you don't see educated people running around claiming that Darwin killed God; all the more puzzling that so many educated creationists burn so much brain fuel trying to knock down The Origin of Species.

16. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I find some of these creationists, religious people are dillusional and a hypocrite. If something happen to you please don't go to the doctor or the hospital. Just wait for your God to come and save you.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

God is a spiritual being.
    Which precludes reason and logic- those are by products of spiritual attributes. (though we certainly were created with the capacity to reason)
    I have to disagree with you because human logic is not a constant at all and varies in every single person.
    The only way to perceive God is spiritually.
    The spiritual nature of man would consist of the conscience, imagination and intrinsic value or heart motivation.

The conscience is the moral center.
    The imagination is the creative center.
    The intrinsic value is the motivation center.

From the thought process man can believe, reason and choose basically in that order.

The moral center, creative center and value center of the spirit can be damaged to varying degrees or inoperative. It is at those points that it can be impossible to know God.

You can know alot about yourself without knowing God at all because you can operate through human thought processes without any spiritual knowledge whatsoever.

If you do not know God spiritually you cannot know God.

If your conscience, imagination, and value basis are not tuned in to God as a spirit it is impossible for you to have any way of detecting Him, knowing Him or understanding.

18. LScolaDominates

How can an all-powerful being be precluded from reason and logic?

This is simply false. Almost everybody has the capacity to answer an arithmetical problem they have never seen before, and they will all give the same answer. If I ask 100 people what the sum of 7 and 5 is, almost all of them will give the same answer, 12.

[/quote]The only way to perceive God is spiritually.
    The spiritual nature of man would consist of the conscience, imagination and intrinsic value or heart motivation.

The conscience is the moral center.
    The imagination is the creative center.
    The intrinsic value is the motivation center.

From the thought process man can believe, reason and choose basically in that order.

The moral center, creative center and value center of the spirit can be damaged to varying degrees or inoperative. It is at those points that it can be impossible to know God.

You can know alot about yourself without knowing God at all because you can operate through human thought processes without any spiritual knowledge whatsoever.

If you do not know God spiritually you cannot know God.

If your conscience, imagination, and value basis are not tuned in to God as a spirit it is impossible for you to have any way of detecting Him, knowing Him or understanding.[/QUOTE]
    If God is the creator of everything in the universe, any knowledge of the universe, physical or spiritual (whatever that means), is necessarily knowledge of God. You are basically saying that there is one way to know God, or at least a stable formula for knowing Her. That is an argument that relies on the same "human thought processes" (which I call "logic") that you decry as an inadequate basis for knowledge of the divine. If the human soul is limited in ways that God is not, our knowledge of God must also be limited to our human perspective.

You can't have it both ways: either our knowledge of God stems from knowledge of ourselves or we cannot have knowledge of God at all. Even if God can somehow bestow knowledge of Herself on us, we can still only access that received knowledge via our limited human interface. If we are able to know something that transcends human limitations, we are effectively God, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to say that.

19. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I don't think he is saying that God does not have reason and logic: I think he was saying you cannot find God through reason and logic. I guess Descartes is an exception.

20. LScolaDominates

The mind-body problem is as problematic for rhester as it was for Descartes. If we cannot find God through reason and logic, how do we gain knowledge of Her? Even designating the name "God" is an act of logic, as is attributing a "spiritual" essence to Her. God gave us logic, and we may know God through our knowledge of that gift. It is a limited knowledge, just as logic is a limited gift, but I don't see how "spirituality" is any less limited.