1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree with the Rox FO's No Extensions policy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roslolian, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
?

Is the No extensions policy worth keeping?

1. Yes, its a policy which makes sense

53 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. No, its stupid and should be stopped

58 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But what good does being scrappy get you in the long run, because those scrappy players ultimately might leave for more $$$ and all that happened was you were stuck on the mediocity treadmill and refilled with more scrappy players.

Think about it, Hayes was scrappy, he left for the $$$, and now Goran is scrappy and he can leave for the $$$$.....so we reload with more of the same and continue to be scrappy....

Which is sort of like 3 card Monty with the fans, find the bean.....we are just spinning our wheels.

DD

2. Mashing

Mashing Member

I voted against it, but after reading this (and I do not fall into either two categories at the end of your post), I'd have to change my vote. I did not consider the history of the team, but was thinking more short term (another words I'm going to be really pissed if we lost Dragic because of this policy for isntance, but your post has pointed out it's more good than bad).

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

well said.

4. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I agree, this isn't a great FA offseason anymore. But you need _good_ contracts for trades. If the contract is excessive you end up having to pay other people to take them.

As well as Goran has played, I basically think we should take a cold approach to contracts until we have our franchise player. It's not as good for morale as extensions, but our team is going to continue to have a lot of turnover until we get our main building block.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the Spurs have not offered a Contract Extension to anyone other than Parker, Ginobli, or Duncan.

If your gonna copy any front office, I'm glad Morey is copying them.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

As others have said, the "no extensions policy" is a CF myth. Just like the "Leslie Alexander forced me to sign Dalembert and not tank" is a CF myth.

1 person likes this.
  7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Morey doesn't do extensions for role players. If we had a superstar (Howard, Dwill), Morey would extend them in a heart beat

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, even though I would have agreed with this comment 24 hours ago, this isn't true. The Rockets do not have a "no extensions policy", even for role players. Read this:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6769434&postcount=126

9. choujie

choujie Member

Yao would have been extended without question if he was healthy. Nobody in NBA would risk losing a superstar for nothing.

10. davidio840

Oh wow! I had no idea about that (I am sure hardly anybody did lol). I cannot be upset about not extending Dragic because we did need a Center BADLY. However, they should extend him before the season is over. To bad Goran will likely want to see how much he can get elsewhere.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

By league rules, the most the Rockets (who have since spent all their cap room on Dalembert) can offer Dragic on an extension is ~$3 million per year. Since there is no way Dragic would accept such an offer, this approach simply is not feasible.

12. davidio840

So basically we would have to wait until the season is over to give him a legitimate offer that he would give the time of day to think about?

13. DaDakota

Well discussing it does not actually mean they don't have a policy, come on now......

DD

14. DaDakota

Richard Jefferson got one.....

DD

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Morey: "Hey guys. I'm bored today. Everyone come into my office. I want to discuss doing something that is against my own policy."

The only way to interpret BimaThug's info is either there is no policy or they are discussing changing the policy for Dragic. Any other interpretation would mean they are wasting Les's money talking about something that Morey won't do.

1 person likes this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

No. In the offseason, Richard Jefferson opted out of his deal to become a free agent, and then resigned with Spurs at a cheaper deal for more years. It was not an extension signed added to a contract he was currently on.

17. intergalactic

Awesome info, Bima. Even if we take a cold approach to extensions for role players, Morey would not be doing his job if he didn't evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. Good to see he's not ignoring his duties.

18. intergalactic

From a negotiating perspective, a "no-extensions" policy makes a lot of sense for RFAs. You force the player to show his hand first in a market where other teams are discouraged from bidding, and yet you can ensure you keep him.

For UFAs, negotiating positions are roughly even. So extensions with UFAs should be handled differently. They should certainly be explored, though that doesn't mean a deal will work out .

1 person likes this.
  19. DaDakota

Exactly, I am sure they discuss them, probably run them up the food chain and across Les' desk and see.

But until they offer an extension, it seems they are clearly on a "No extensions" policy.

DD

20. DaDakota

And not to disparage Bima's info, as I believe he is telling the truth, but we all know that is hearsay, and not permissable in a court of BBS.

;)

DD