1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree with the Rox FO's No Extensions policy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roslolian, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
?

Is the No extensions policy worth keeping?

1. Yes, its a policy which makes sense

53 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. No, its stupid and should be stopped

58 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Its a good thing no one wants to be stuck with a hedo turkaglu type of contract .

2. Durrby

Durrby Contributing Member

It's really a moot point because if a player, such as Dragic, has good or great market value they are going to test the free agent waters to get the max amount of leverage and money. And you definitely don't want to give an extension ahead of free agency if a player has questionable market value.

The worst thing you can do as a GM is to over pay a player on a contract extension because it ends up haunting your salary cap for 4 or 5 years and diminishes the player's trade value, especially under the new CBA. There is an opportunity cost either way and the Rockets must feel more comfortable dealing with the risk of losing one of their players to FA vs. the risk of overpaying.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Durvasa, CH is right, i don't think DM would turn down a DH extension request lol. Anyway IMHO the "100% no extensions" rule only applies to non-Max FAs, not extending your max player is kinda' stupid and serves no purpose, because as I said the whole purpose of having no extensions is to see what the market value is, and the market value of max players like DH or Yao or Lebron is already known to everyone.

Honestly I'm against this policy, because having no extensions is like hedging in stocks. Sure you want some insurance in case you don't know what you're doing, but if you know in your heart of hearts that Facebook will blow up why put money on Myspace? Just mortgage your house and borrow everything you own and buy tons of FB shares. Its just a question of balls, and how confident are you in your analytical abilities.

Same thing here, why wait for the market to decide his value, why not determine his own price, offer a bit lower and then have him choose whether to take the guaranteed mill or test FA. If you think Lee is gonna get more in FA then offer him a 5 year mid-level the moment he suits up. He might turn it down regardless, but at least he knows you want him on the team. Just to be clear though, the no extensions policy isn't just limited to "cheap" owners like the Rox, Cuban for example does it as well. He told Nash to test the FA waters and get back to him with a price, and when Nash came back with the 12M offer of the Suns Cuban passed. If he had offered Nash a 9-10M a year deal I think Nash would still be a Maverick to this day.

To be fair though, Morey tried that kind of tactic of "offering an extension" to Landry but gave him a deal so low he got insulted and his agent started b****ing (something like 2M a year lol). If DM had offered the 3M, 3 year deal the Bobcats offered in the first place I think Landry would have signed and we would have avoided the start of the A$$ets stigma. I don't really agree with the purpose of lowballing players like that, no way a player that low balled will give his heart out on the court.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think every case should be treated differently. What if parson explodes and put up 16ppg,7rebs,4asst. Then the next yr he's 20-7-5. Then the yr after 22-7%. What do the team do?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

This gets tossed around a lot, but is there actual proof that Rockets players perform worse for us than for other teams who supposedly treat them fairly?

If anything, don't the Rockets overachieve in respect to their talent than other teams? I mean, there have been countless threads about how players are playing hard, gritty, clutch basketball. That doesn't seem like a team that's playing pissed at its management.

If anything, the "con" here should be that the Rockets are giving more incentives for players to play well so they can make more dough in the FA market.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Nothing should be set in stone -ya gotta move when the opportunity exists... It would be foolish not to try to wrap up Goran for an extended contract at this time... a restricted upcoming free agent on the otherhand, is another matter...

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

If Parsons truly blew up like that, there is precariously little the Rockets could do without cap space. The CBA would limit them to giving him a raise of 7.5% on his 4th year salary, that is, a starting salary of a little over $1M. If they have capspace in the summer of 2014, they can renegotiate his contract up and then sign him to an extension using the new, larger number.

Chase Budinger, on the other hand, actually has a team option on his contract for next year, so the Rockets could theoretically decline that option to make him a restricted free agent. He could then be signed to a new contract up to the maximum salary, and the Rockets would retain the right of first refusal. I highly doubt that locking him up for a much larger salary than the minimum is really much of a concern for the Rockets, however.

I think everyone is making way, way too big a deal over the Rockets not giving any extensions to players; it's simply not a very common thing to do for non-max guys. Here's a list of the players who have been eligible for an extension since Daryl Morey has taken over as GM since 2007. How many of them would you have given an extension to with the benefit of hindsight?

Juwan Howard
    Luther Head
    Kirk Snyder
    Tracy McGrady (post-microfracture)
    Yao Ming (post-foot surgery)
    Ron Artest
    Aaron Brooks
    Kyle Lowry
    Jared Jeffries
    Shane Battier
    Courtney Lee

Additionally, Goran Dragic and Chuck Hayes would have both been eligible for extensions starting at around $2.5M; no way they'd ever accept that.

As far as I can tell, Morey hasn't been wrong on a single case thus far, and while Courtney Lee is a really good player, I can't see him getting more than the mid-level, and when you compare it to what it would have probably taken to get him to agree to an extension (Jared Dudley money: 5yr/$22M), the Rockets only lose out about $1M per year, in exchange for not guaranteeing all that money without seeing what Lee could do as a starter. Morey has already proven that he can sign restricted free agents to deals without having to match offer sheets; he did just that for Chuck Hayes and Luis Scola, while matching Kyle Lowry and Carl Landry. I don't know how a rate of 50% suddenly becomes "100% no extensions or offers to restricted free agents"?

Matt Maloney, Kelvin Cato, Moochie Norris. Under-the-table deals with Mo Taylor and Shandon Anderson. The late 90s Rockets were unquestionably loyal to their role players, and it not only led to years of lottery hell and unwatchable iso-ball, but those salary albatrosses also prevented the Rockets from building a core of competent role players around Yao and Tracy. And for what? So Cuttino turned down more money from Toronto to re-sign?

Honestly, if you're voting against the no-extension policy, you've either got the memory of a goldfish, or started following the Rockets after Yao Ming was drafted.

1 person likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good post. I think you have to look at the circumstances and make decision on each case. If you want cap space flexibility in the offseason, you may not want to extend. But if you see a guy on the verge of exploding, you want to lock him up before he bolts. Letting the market set the price has its pros and its cons.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes because if the player didn't choose to sign an extension, there would probably be some pissed of fans and maybe some chemistry loss.

10. conquistador#11

it's a good mauryball policy until one of your assets turns out to be a holy phenom and triggers a holy war between other gms. $$$ should win though.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Does this policy mean Cato, Maloney and Mo Taylor can return their money?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Extensions only work for max players where there value is higher than their salary. It becomes a no brainer. If we landed Dwight Howard, there would be no doubt that we would try to extend him the moment he arrived here.

13. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I don't like it because there are very few ways for the Rockets to come out ahead. You're basically settling for one of two outcomes:

1. Lose your talents that have made big strides for nothing (Dragic)

OR

2. Match whatever the dumbest, most desperate team in the league is willing to pay

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

leebigez,

If he blew up like that, we would sign him just like SA signed Ginobili (cap space or an exception). This is because extensions for 2nd rounders suck. For a 1st rounder, the extension raise at the end of your rookie scale contract is limited only by the player's maximum salary.

As a 2nd rounder, Parsons, just like Ginobili and Dragic, would not sign an extension, because the maximum would be for only 110.5% above previous salary...something like $2m. Obviously, that is quickly becoming a bad rule as the draft gets deeper.

They have to give Parsons his payday as a Larry Bird exception.

Also, he will not be Restricted, because his current contract is beyond 3yrs.

He is signed for four years, structured as if he was a 1st rounder. The 5th year he has Larry Bird rights. We can sign him with an exception then.

So, we don't need cap space.

#34 heypartner, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Extensions eat up your cap space and flexibility. It's generally risky to tie up cap space with early extensions when you are still trying to clear space for a franchise player to join via FA or trade.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What good is cap space and flexibility when there are no players to use that cap space and flexibility on?

Well, I guess it saves Les some money, but it doesn't help the team get to contender status anytime soon.

And you NEED contracts to be able to trade for other players, that is why people like Keith Van Horn and Christian Laettner and Antwan Jamison and their large contracts can be traded for players....you have to have something to match.

For instance, without Kwame Brown and his large contract at the time the Lakers would never have been able to put a package together for Pau Gasol.

DD

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Superstar contracts and rookie deals are the best deals in the NBA. If your team has a superstar and you need to keep talent around him then sure, pay more but if you don't have any stars it's stupid to sign role players to big deals.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

For what it is worth, the Rockets used the cap space to sign Dalembert to a favorable contract, after using it to pursue Nene and Marc Gasol. There are things to use cap space for in 2011.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I understand and I was against getting Dalembert because it does not make us any closer to being a contender, and by making the playoffs we lose our draft pick this year to NJ, and it keeps us in medicority land longer.

But I understand your point.

DD

20. passdarock

passdarock Member

Interesting perspective on the matter, the rockets have always been the scrappy overachieving team in the league. I wonder if this is truly why.

Couldnt we also trade players for future draft picks if the case where expectations are not met. In the current system, arent the rockets essentially losing on potential star players?