1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you accept homosexuals?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
?

Answer the question I proposed in the original post.

1. Yes, I accept them at the moment.

80 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. I'm not sure how I feel about them at the moment.

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. No, I do not accept them at the moment.

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Yes, I am fine with the increasing normalization of homosexuality.

116 vote(s)
    65.2%
  5. I'm not sure how I feel about the increasing normalization of homosexuality.

18 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. No, I am no fine with the increasing normalization of homosexuality.

21 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Every time threads like this come up the "black persecution analogy police" go bonkers arguing against statements nobody made. In the process, they reveal themselves to be simultaneously bereft of logic and quite bigoted.

Sad and boring. The combination is wholly not worth anyone's time to debate anymore - the result is predictable.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also, since you can't expect Clutch to be aware of every single post in every single thread, you should use the 'report' button to mark an offensive post.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree it is terrible what happened to Black/African people as a whole. There is no excuse for it.

And since you know how terrible racism/discrimination can be I'm sure you are appalled by any racism or discrimination. So logically you are also upset about how the Homosexual community are discriminated against. Right?

One of the most funny/sad things I heard about this subject was on the daily show. There was a black woman who said that it was terrible that here ancestors did not have the same rights as other people. And that is was great how she finally had the same rights as other humans. (and she used the rights to vote against gay marriage). John Oliver made the comment that it was amazing that the woman did not see the irony in this statement.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

For the people who voted "I accept them for now". What does that mean? You accept them now because the society accepts them, but if that changes you will also change your opinion?

Or does it mean something else?

5. uolj

uolj Member

If the writer doesn't imply, and the reader doesn't infer, an equivalence in the treatment and discrimination of the groups throughout our history, then the comparison is actually a good one. Many of the same arguments that occurred when inter-racial marriage was being fought for are being used in the debate over gay marriage. Whether to allow gays in the military has many similarities with the debate on integrating the military as well.

Also, the struggle for equal rights for blacks in America is known within our society much more than other equal rights struggles and when making analogies, it often makes the most sense to refer to a well known example. Finally, bigotry and discrimination against blacks is considered much more taboo in modern society than any other type of discrimination, so if you're trying to make the point that certain comments about gays are offensive, making the comparison to blacks is the strongest and most effective one you can make.

So really, nobody is comparing the struggles themselves, you are just inferring it. If you don't want to be insulted, then don't do that.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the black persecution analogy police are bothered by the condescension of the analogy being brought up every time someone discusses discrimination. its as if people imply that black have some unfair special protection.

1 person likes this.
  7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Thanks for proving my (and uolj's) point.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Just re- read your posts and Madmax posts ( I know him he is an outstanding man and Christian)- looked for other Christian responses. I wasn't trying to go off on the posters. But that's exactly how I sounded and posted. (I am trying to get a free lunch from Madmax right now)

Please forgive me, that was wrong.

Apologies to JeopardE, Madmax

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think the problem here is two-fold.

1) People often struggle to accept comparisons as similarity rather than as identical references.
    2) Certain groups with the black community like to lay sovereign claim to "human rights" struggles in this country. It's like they fear that if other groups get compared to them they will somehow lose prominence or power.

10. Landlord Landry

do you understand how the term 'f-a-g' came to be what it is today?

WIKI link

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not what you meant :confused:

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The most intelligent post in this thread.

Instead of reading word-for-word and considering the actual substance of what was ridden, those such as RR have chosen to instead focus on this "What discrimination was worse" element instead of staying focused on the topic at hand. Neither form of discrimination is okay! Nitpick all you want but the main point doesn't change.

My take is simple: it's a genetic issue. People are born this way. To me, challenging that notion is like saying a short person chooses to be short. Homosexuals deserve every right that any other human or straight couple is entitled to.

1 person likes this.