1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we want Julius Peppers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jopatmc, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes or no?

If yes, what would he be worth paying? 30 years old. Probably hitting the downside.

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I said no, I mean Peppers its good, but he is hitting the downside, and he would be asking for a lot of money, also the defense is great, get someone for the OL like Vince Wilfork of the Patriots, there are rumors that he wants to leave NE.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I don't think our defense is great. We have leaky coverage and too many downs with no pressure on the QB.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do it. Better pull out all the stops next year since there is no cap. If they don't get to the playoffs everyone must go.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd love to take him.

IF IT WAS 200****ing2

6. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Defense is not great. Texans offense is, but the defense has the most holes.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well the secondary is bad, but with Mario Williams, Cushing, and Ryans, that line its good.
    Peppers doesnt give always all his potential.
    He was a beast before, but not anymore.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wilfork plays DT.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Man, 2nd time Ive had to quote you in this thread alone...

Peppers had a great year, not sure what you have been following...double digit sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions...He had a better year than Mario. And the season prior, Peppers had 14.5 sacks. I would still call him one of the better DE in football.

10. RocketMania1991

Peppers is good no doubt, but once again at the age of 30 do you really want to commit that much money to him. Reminds me of last years Albert Haynesworth free agent situation.

I'm not sure if the Texans are willing to commit that much money to Peppers or if he will be able to keep up his current level of play for a few more years guess we'll wait and see.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sure we want him but not at the money he's going to demand.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I say go for it. I want opposing QB's to FEAR our D-line; you can't double team Mario AND Peppers...

We have so many great pieces but pretty much no credibility with the rest of the NFL. A move like this would put us in the national spotlight, for sure.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't decide. Signing Peppers could take the Texans to another level but he's old enough that giving him a gigantic signing bonus scares me

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I doubt he's anywhere on our radar, nor are we on his.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would love to have Peppers, but do you really want the would be 3rd highest paid player not even starting (antonio smith)?

And as much as I would like Peppers, I think I would rather throw a ton of money at Vince Wilfork to plug the middle.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Nah, he would absolutely take us to the next level, and 30 isn't that old for a DE. We just need more penetration from the DL...other than Mario.

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Exactly. How different might this team look like if we had taken Peppers over Carr? I was screaming for that at the time...

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we're spending any big money in free agency, it needs to be on a DT. And maybe a safety, if one is available that is better than what we have.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I've heard on the local sports channels that the Texans would be open to moving him to DT if they could find a DE, and McClain even speculated that they could have him at DT next season with Barwin at DE.

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Even at his age, he's a physical freak. Pass rushing will be a premium, especially considering Houston's inability to hold on to leads against teams late in games, particularly, the Colts.