1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we trade away Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aznoob, May 12, 2008.

?

Should Batman be traded?

1. Yes! All he does is stand there, making our offense stagnant!

31 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No! He is a vital part of the Rockets' team!!

105 vote(s)
    73.4%
  3. We should neither sign him nor trade him. Have him be in a mascot suit at home games, V.S Clutch!

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Ok, there's been a LOT of verbal spats going back and forth between members of the BBS.

This is a simple poll/thread question.

Do we trade away Shane Battier?

Personally, I would say no UNLESS an offer is TOO good to pass up. Such as Battier for Calderon + money straight up, or Battier for S&T Artest + a pick straight up.

Battier is very, very good defensively, but he struggles on offense, as he just stands and waits in the corner for a pass.

No matter how much you look at the situation, us trading Battier while getting a Miller/Artest/Calderon back, Houston will have a bad taste in its mouth. Sure we could get shooting/all-around game/great PG, respectively, but we lose amazing defense, and superb basketball IQ.

So, BBS, I pose a simple question to you.

Do we trade Mr. Batman? If yes, why? If no, why?

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Battier is a huge defensive asset for us, he keeps those offensive SF, SG in check. If he is gone, who is gonna defend KB24?

On the other hand, he is a hot commodity in this market. I would assume many team wants him. Unless we can get some Artest/Calderon back, I wouldn't add him in any trade deal.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

next to Novak he's our most consistent 3point shooter and our best defender.

4. akiracy

akiracy Member

i like how you make a poll with 2 real choices, but your opinion is that of a 3rd choice

obviously we keep him, unless theres an offer too good to pass up

calderon wouldn't be it, hes too much of a pure pg that we wouldn't be able to utilize him to his strengths

artest is more of a lateral move, sure he's better offensively, but hes injury prone and a headcase. would you rather have 100% of a player for 60% of a season or 80% of a player for 100% of the season. incoming a barrage of posts talking about toughness, vernon maxwell blah blah blah

i'd personally go after a 6th man like mike miller, he'll gets his minutes when the opposing teams best perimeter player is resting or if tmac is resting

5. sook

sook Rookie

Artest is just as good on defense as battier...and he has pluses

6. akiracy

akiracy Member

battier is just as good on defense as artest...and he has pluses

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Battier pros = Great team defender, involves everyone on D, talks to other players about their assignments on the court, very vocal leader, low maintainance, blue collar worker, knows his role, maxes out his ability, good community person, generally healthy and reliable.

Battier cons = limited offensively, lacks the ability to take over games when needed, not athletically gifted. He will never be our Ginobili, more like Bowen without the dirtiness. Can't win it all with him as our 3rd offensive option.

Artest pros = great individual defender, aggressive, excellent 3rd scoring option, tough, great on court ability, enforcer, can take over a game at times. Can be our Vernon Maxwell and the impact of Ginobili on this team.

Artest cons = crazy looney, not so good team defender, implodes on and off court, chemistry killer, prima donna attitude without the prima donna skills, can be a ball-hog, will put extreme pressure on coaches, not likable, off court issues, a bit injury prone.

================

I personally think we need both. So, no, I probably wouldn't trade Shane for him although I would absolutely love to have him on our team along with Shane. Artest would be an asset if he can hold it together. Problem is, he can't be relied upon long term.

If we can keep Shane and pick help along the way like Artest, then we are true contenders. With just Artest and no Shane I'm not sure we are better off. We would have a great 3rd scoring option though and not lose much defensively.

On the fence about this one, it truly would be a gamble.

8. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

but artest like more explosive offense then shane, artest can create his own shot while shane stand there wait for the pass and shoot.

Shane is a good player and play an important role in this team but if an good offer come by i would trade him but if not i rather had him stay.

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

honestly...

shanes salary is only 6 mil per year

what kind of player thats better than shane can you get back who has a 6 mil salary?

I'd say the only guys I will trade shane for is a top PG Calderon. noone else

sacramento is rebuilding why would they want shane
    memphis is too
    la is rebuilding too after brand and maggette opt out

so maggette, miller, artest is a lot more likely to be acquired via trade picks and our young players like Aaron Brooks.

and trading shane to a contender isn't wise either

btw: bowen in first d team over shane??!!! I don't get it

10. JamesC

JamesC Member

You dont just trade him away for the hell of it. Now if theres a legit upgrade available over him and the price is right then you take it.

11. bjshot

bjshot Member

But Ron is not as stable as Batman. Ron is much more risky commodity and more expansive. So if ron and batman trade traight up, I don't think houston get big lift. But if Houston get Ron with expired contracts and picks, then it's a big lift to another level.

12. ibm

ibm Member

depends. (this option is not in the poll.)

13. Bassem

Bassem Member

Keep Shane. Trading him is out of the question and he's an essential part to this team's core. Rockets this season were defined by team chemistry and great defense, and let me tell you, Shane was a huge part of these team qualities. He may not be so efficient offensively, but what he contributes to the team really is tremendous.

And never ever ever ever ever ever get Artest. Ever.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think battier on kobe defines the defense...who else is going to hold up like him??

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

If he shoots threes like he did in the playoffs, and if we can upgrade our offense in other areas, Shane is going to get plenty of open looks and might be able to put up some decent offsensive numbers.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That's another thing, how can we get rid of someone that came up so big in the playoffs, while injured no less.

17. blender

blender Member

In most cases, you need to trade something of value to get value in return. If we're looking for a significant upgrade in, say, the PG or PF/C position, it's going to be difficult to get much by trading Head or the expiring contracts of Jackson or Francis.

I'm afraid Battier will be part of the asking price for any major player.

18. rocketsfaninsa

no, he is everything that's right in the nba. hard worker, upstanding citizen,nice guy...if any pro athlete has a chance to be a mayor or even governor one of these days, it's gonna be shane. and lets not forget he's a good basketball player as well

19. zack15432

zack15432 Member

i picked yes but the reason above is retarted and wrong. we need to trade him for someone who plays good team defense, can creat his own shot, and can penetrate. not because he just stands there and makes the team stagnant

20. rocketsfaninsa

A.)you can't spell r****ded wrong and call someone "retarted"....
    B.) Post your opinion w/o calling mine wrong...last time i checked you're not the end-all on debates....
    C.) Shane plays good team defense, and we can get someone who can penetrate and create(not creat) their own shot w/o giving up battier
    D.)other than tmac our whole starting line up is pretty stagnant, more than just a battier problem.
    E.) you don't trade someone like battier away, and you can reference this post in the future as me guaranteeing morey won't trade battier anytime soon. guaranteed, so you gotta find better ways to vent your anger