1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do We Overvalue Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Illmatic, Jul 30, 2008.

?

Do we overvalue Battier

1. Yes, we overvalue him

50 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. No, we undervalue him

59 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. He is valued correctly

136 vote(s)
    55.5%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

To answer you question, if you claim his offense is "non existent", then you are undervaluing it. And if you think being easy to work with, being completely team-oriented, being durable and dependable, and being a positive locker-room presence has little or no value -- then I think you undervalue that as well.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dude, that's exhibit A to prove he's overvalued

3. Precision340

Precision340 Member

his presence :D

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

...Even if you didn't beleive in intangibles, fact is the Batman is good for 1.5+ threes/1+ steals/1+blocks per game all on just one turnover per game...that is what it is...pretty damn efficient.

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

What was the shooting percentage? Shot attempts versus made?

6. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

thats efficient but efficient at best. The way certain fan wanna take up arms when trade talks about battier comes up is just disturbing. I even saw one that said the only way he would let Battier go is for Lebron :rolleyes:

7. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Of course not...for a lot of teams....Battier would fill the missing piece of shutdown defender/hustle/dirty work player.

A team, like the Lakers, Cavs, or Trailblazers or even the Suns. I think all of those teams would certain be slightly better with a player, like Battier. On the teams, I mentioned he would certainly take the defensive load off of superstars. He can hit 3 consistently here and there.

He's probably not close to being an all star, like forwards Odom and Lewis, but at point in time it is not neccesary to have all-star players in certain position for the fact that you need role players who are not going to be score first, but doing other things.

9. Northside Storm

Lebron James
    FG%-48.4%
    FG% vs Rockets-46.3%

Kobe Bryant
    FG%-45.9%
    FG% vs Rockets-39.8%

Joe Johnson
    FG%-43.2%
    FG% vs Rockets-32.4%

Rudy Gay
    FG%-46.2%
    FG% vs Rockets-36.7%

Kevin Durant
    FG%-43%
    FG% vs Rockets-36.8%

Manu
    FG%-46.1%
    FG% vs Rockets-42.3%

Rip
    FG%-48.2%
    FG% vs Rockets-45.2%

Melo
    FG%-49.2%
    FG% vs Rockets-37.3%

...Huh. I'm not saying there's a trend...but there is a trend.

10. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

and im sure since the Rox are a team like Denver where the defensive load is only on one player, we can assume that good ol Battier is responsible. Atta boy. How many DOF's has he ever won or even been a runner up or even first team NBA defensive teams

11. Northside Storm

True, Battier does get great help defense, BUT...you can't just shrug away the fact that he was the one primarily responsible for guarding these star SG/SFs and that thier FG% were all consistently lower as a result. Plus, if you watched the games, you'd know that Battier keeps his feet on the move all the time, demonstrates great positional awareness, very rarely gives stupid fouls and restricts movement without having to resort to handchecking (then throwing up hands to make an ill-advised jumpshot even harder)...so it's not like he's just rerouting everyone into Chuck Hayes or Deke.

And if you're gonna base defensive prowess on the DOTY awards...good luck with that. :/ Although it should be noted that Shane came third in DOTY voting this year, and only lost out of the First-All-NBA Defensive team because the media is r****ded and put Kobe :)confused:) in... ;)

12. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

I feel you on that, i was actually mad that he didn't make defensive team but again i think a lot of people overvalue e.g. the crazed fan willing to only trade Battier for Lebron. Although now that Artest is here, he totally beats Battier in every category except for off the court issues. And when Battier wins sportsmanship award, then we can have that discussion. Until now, i'm sticking with what artest does on court and crossing my fingers for what he does off court. Plus we can only hope Deke and Adelman can reign him in

13. bucket

bucket Member

Coaches and respected media analysts seem to value Battier much more than fans around here. That should be a hint. Also, 40% 3-point shooting from a guy who can defend three positions is actually very valuable, especially on a team with Tmac and Yao.

14. tone-weezy

tone-weezy Member

of course he's overvalued. The people who run to his defense never acknowledge the rockets being a top 5 defensive team before Shane's arrival. Or, that he was james posey's backup in Memphis. But above everything else its his lack of offensive skill they dont wanna acknowledge.

In this very thread you have people claiming his offensive game isn't showcase because of Mac n Yao's presence...this is laughable. Even if we pretend that McGrady and Yao alone make the Rox a top 10 offensive team(which they dont)... they barely play half the season together. He's had plenty of chances to step up offensively and hasn't. Why? cause he can't. He's a poor offensive player. Cant pass, cant dribble, cant create, below average finisher and draws ZERO defensive attention. 90% of the shots he takes are open and half of those are wide open

How can a team whose had all kinds of trouble scoring make a guy this limited offensively untouchable???

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

doesn't it blow your mind that so few people understand this?

i mean to the point where you almost feel sorry for them?

16. longhornchampno

You know Battier is overvalued when you hear guys say "I want Lebron but I still wouldn't give up Battier because...".

17. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Are you serious? I don't know if you know a guy whose name is Kobe scored 81 in ONE game just because he was single-covered whole night long!!

18. rocketchu

rocketchu Member

hey guys im new hows everyone im writing this while eating a frito pie lol so yeah im so excited about this trade that houston did it shocked me i didnt expect that to be a minor trade lol well i c that we basicly are saying now that artest is here we should trade battier i say no seems like we forgot about barry yeah he might be old but could still contribute minutes at the 1 spot n i think him and battier coming in off the bench would be rock solid i think we are way better then lakers they lost turriaf and we gained a banger in dorsey i hate to say bye to green but it had to happen lol and for all them rockets hardcore fans that bleed rocket red THIS IS THE YEAR for a a ring or bust

19. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

It looks like Battier is not strong enough to stop Lebron or fast enough to cover Rip. Probably, Artest can defend Lebron better than Battier does. Not sure about Rip.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's tough because he is a visible prescence on defense and you just can't be sure how much of our consistency of effort is attributable to his example and his locker room prescence

I just have this fear that our defensive mindset (not just defensive ability) might drop off if he is not there. I mean it's not like Adelman's teams have been known for good D, there has to be something more to it.