1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

Who are you and why are you so wrong?

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How can everyone have loved this team before the season...then turn on them right now and say screw morey and his stats?

If so then just get rid of half of the team, Brooks, Lowry, Scola, Ish, Hill...if Morey is sooo bad get rid of all these guys.

It's Morey's fault the team had such high expectations any ways.

3. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Yao is not our superstar. He has been injured almost half of his NBA career. You can't build a team around him.

4. MD_in_Training

Wait wait wait... Kmart for Landry was a terrible trade? You guys DO realize that Landry was good, but not THAT good. He's a 15/5 guy who plays so-so defense. He wouldn't have been the savior for this team.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

He is still a good GM, but this year's team has shown him to be overrated in his player decisions.

Morey's saving grace will be his ability to get us a Two way superstar in the draft. (Yes draft, with either our pick this year or NY's pick)

The best player on your team has to be one of your team's best defenders to win a championship:

Kobe Bryant
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Chanucy Billups
    Dwayne Wade (3x All Defensive 2nd team)
    Micheal Jordan
    Hakeem Olajuwon

Teams follow the best player's (the leader's) influence on defense, heart and practice work ethic.

6. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Landry wont let his team go 1:6 if he is get paid by $10M.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Yes, especially because this board was in love with the Battriza combo throughout all of last year and we currently suffer a lack of big guys. What a terrible trade.

8. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I voted yes, but I assumed the "we" was in reference to the majority of the board. I myself do not feel I overrate him.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Morey is overrated because many on here think he is a god.

That being said, he does the best he can. The only thing I question would be the Ariza trade only because I see Battier on the tail end of his career and his defense but I do get why it was done because Battier is a leader, Ariza isn't that mature and probably no team would want Battier since as I said his defense has slide within the last season and a half to the point you can't call him a defensive asset worth trading for outside of his contract.

Probably the best deal we could hope to land this season might be to land rentals on Steve Nash or Gilbert Arenas. It is that bad.

1 person likes this.
  10. Badrose

Badrose Member

If you consider that Scola is our only great player, yes, something is wrong with Daryl. But hey, you can still get excited during the pre-season and then cry at the end. As always.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly.

I remember how everyone loved the Landry trade. funny thing is, some of these are the same people calling for RA to play Jordan Hill.

12. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

He lost me when he traded Ariza for a bench player, all in the name of saving $$$.

13. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I said no, because I think he's great but I think I rate him about right. I could have said yes, because some people here on clutchfans overrate him ridiculously, and you did say "we."

14. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

We need a playmaker.

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The nature of a fan site is to overrate everybody. If you criticize, people call you names. But since this is the nature of the beast, that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone nor should people let the name calling get under their skin.

16. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I haven't been in GARM for some time, but my view toward DM remains the same. In the past, I've had heated discussions about him. Now? Available data series is longer, so people see better.

You are what your record says you are.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

FINALLY. SOMEBODY WITH A BRAIN.

I love Landry and he was good but KMart on a different level. AND WE GOT THE PICKS AND WE GOT HILL (a lottery pick).

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think Morey is hesitant to give up too much in a trade for a superstar. He values his "assets" a little too much. I think we'll really find out how good a GM he is once Yao is gone. Then he'll be able to trade anyone on the roster at any time and won't have a crutch like Les wanting to keep Yao for non-basketball reasons. I just hope Yao's gone soon because I'm getting too old for this same ole crap every season.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey is a good GM. I think he was dealt a tough hand when he got the job, and he's been given certain constraints that he has to work with as far as keeping the team salary low and maintaining a competitive team. I respect his ability to manage the cap while building up the talent level of the roster.

I think the baseball hitting analogy is appropriate. Morey is a high-percentage hitter, but its mostly singles and doubles. To build a championship team you have to hit some home runs, and it doesn't look like he's done that.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

When Morey took over and began building this team, he was not a major injury concern. Unfortunate turn of events later and here we are with a team built around him and him barely here.