1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

update with more data. The god-like days are long gone. I've predicted Rockets would be a mediocre team under Morey. They have always been and still are.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Several folks around here vastly overrate him. They still think this fat number crunching geek is a top 3 or top 5 GM

3. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Absolutely Yes.

The guy is pretty good at managing cap spaces and roster flexibility, but that's it.

Completely sucks at evaluating players and building a cohesive team.

4. SJQ

SJQ Member

Morey is a boss at sniffing out good/undervalued players. Problem is that his coaching staffs never use those players correctly. Lowry, Dragic, Lin all turned into very useful players after leaving. Yes, even Lin - just watch the Hornets this season and postseason. Rox just got trashed by Livingston, who once played here. If we can actually use all these players Morey gets, we should be perennial title contenders. I don't get how Morey can be so smart but be unable to hire a good coach.

1 person likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Because he thinks coaching does not matter too much.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have never overrated him. He is better at acquiring FA's than drafting. Lawson didn't work
    out but hardly anything was given up for him. His messing around with the coaching and his
    3, D mantra has failed. If he can't install a proper basketball culture in the off season and get some solid team players with talent, he needs to go.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

3 and D is not wrong, just watch the Warriors play, the problem is you need coach and players to execute that plan, and Houston does not have the coach or the players for that.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Some people do.

DD

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No we do not. People overreact to any sort of failure and scream FIRE MURRAY! In reality he is a top 5 GM, he isn't perfect but none are.

What ever narrative you guys want to create it's fine but the facts are the facts.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, the facts are he built this team, he hired this coach, and under him we have gone from quality coaching with JVG and Adelman to inept coaching with an enabling culture in McHale and JBB.

This is 100% on him, he is the guy in charge he has to be held accountable.

We no longer have a team filled with hardworking guys - we now have a team led by a guy who won't ride to the game with his own teamates, and will club the night before a big game.

Where is the accountability in the franchise? WHERE ARE THE WINNERS, the CHARACTER guys that you build around or with?

I mean we brought in Jason Terry to be our veteran leader...JASON MOTHER****ING TERRY - that guy can't lead a group of fat men to a table of girlscout cookies.

Morey can analyze a spreadsheet, but he fails MISERABLY at understanding the human equation.

Meanwhile just down I-10 they have had 19 years of building and retooling witch character guys and 5 championships and every year have a .600 or better win percentage, maybe, JUST MAYBE, we should be looking at what they are doing?

DD

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

According to Nook, Les Alexander makes final coaching decisions. He claims that Morey sought out Carlisle and Kerr but the timing was not right. You and I will never know the real truth, but I agree hiring McHale was a blunder, despite our success throughout his tenure. This time we need to make sure to hire an Xs and Os guy and not a Play Harder coach. Morey hasn't been perfect but getting Harden and Howard without ever being a bottom dweller is a hard thing to do. Les wouldn't allow us to tank and Les is the final decision maker by all accounts.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

We can't fire Le$, and yeah, I think Les Alexander is a crappy owner.

DD

1 person likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Regular season swag champs! ;)

From Feb. 1

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You and the SA Spurs need to get a room and consummate your love denied.

I'm just saying.

1 person likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am pissed that our hated enemies have the blue print just 180 miles away, and we are too dense or buried in numbers to look at what they are doing.

You can admire and learn if you are not too dense to respect what your opponent is doing right.

DD

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Can't disagree with that.

17. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

can't acquire a single all star talent, let alone another superstar, for two straight years. pathetic.

18. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

This. Finally you say something smart for once.

We need to give Dwight some help for once.

I heard the Bulls are slandering Jimmy Butler, I'd do a 1 for 1.

What's your take?

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

No he's underrated actually in general.

20. Sanity2disChaos

He needs a good Assistant GM that has an eye for talent and has actually dribbles a ball successfully!!He can focus on the numbers and let someone else focus on actual basketball.

Its just like a sorts commentator who has never done anything athletic other than run a water bottle to the bench and talking about how a player can and should be doing this and that....Never understood it,SMH.