1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we need another PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Jul 31, 2007.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't know if we need another pf because i don't know how good scola is. it wouldn't be a bad idea to have insurance though.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't know about that. TMac, Battier and Bonzi (in a pinch) sounds like some pretty solid fire power at the three. Throw in Justin Reed and Mike Harris for good measure and it looks like we have quite a bit at the small forward position.

3. AMD

AMD Member

Do we really need anything else at any position? I think all we need to do is get rid of some guys. The main spot where we were weak was PF. We trade for a capable PF and we drafted a capable PF. We need to lose Alston, Sura, JLIII, and Novak.

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

if landry doesnt work out maybe we could sign Alexander Johnson, the grizzlies released him recently which angered many of their fans

hes 6'9" 240lbs with a 40 inch vertical and is a decent rebounder

and he can do this
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QU_nRALn_no"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QU_nRALn_no" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. mister pc

mister pc Member

If TMac and Bonzi are fire power at the 3, who is playing in the 2 spot? Only Luther Head? The way I see it, Bonzi is on the bench as a backup at 2 and 3, with TMac and Battier starting. If (when) TMac misses a game, Bonzi will probably start in his place at 2, which means the only player left to back up Battier is Kirk Snyder (who we dont want to see on the court for any significant period of time). At PF we already have: Scola, Hayes, Landry, Novak, Reed, and maybe even Butler.

P.S. For those of you out there who keep doubting Scola, here is a good link to check out on the spurs forum.
    http://www.spursreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71836&highlight=scola

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO the starting lineup and rotation should look like this:

James / Francis / Brookes
    Francis / Bonzi / Head / Snyder
    TMac / Battier / Bonzi / Snyder
    Scola / Hayes / Butler
    Yao / Butler

I start James and Francis because we get great outside shooting with James and a great penitrating guard in Francis. I think that gives us great balance in the back court. We could also start Bonzi or even Snyder IMO at the 2 and still be very balanced and effective. The only way I would start Francis at the point guard is if TMac or Head start at the 2. Personally I want to see TMac moved back to the 3 spot almost exclusively as I think he performs better there.

If TMac gets hurt you put Battier in the starting line up at the 3 and Bonzi still backs him up. Even if you want to start Bonzi at the 2 in the event of a TMac injury, when Battier comes out of the game for a breather you move Bonzi to the 3 and insert another shooting guard.

James, Francis, Bonzi, Head and Snyder all can log quality minutes at the 2. Our shooting guard position is probably the deepest in the league especialy when you consider that TMac played almost exclusively at the 2 spot last year.

Our small forward IMO is also deep when you consider that we have 3 players that can log quality minutes there. We can go 2 or 3 deep at the 1,2 and 3 spots with quality proven talent.

While I believe in Scola and have high hopes for Butler we only have 1 proven NBA player at the 4 and 5 spots, Hayes and Yao. Another player such as Jeff Foster or Tim Thomas would provide some nice insurance for those positions.

7. BBall Scientist

I say re-sign Mutombo and move out guys like Sura, Lucas III, Reed and this team has enough right now. Send Landry to the D-League or something, because he has potential.

PG Alston/James/Brooks
    SG McGrady/Francis/Head
    SF Battier/Wells/Snyder
    PF Scola/Hayes/Novak
    C Yao/Mutombo/Butler

If Adelman can't win it with that, there's not much hope for this Yao/T-Mac experiment.

That being said, being able to land a good PF for Alston would be much better obviously. But I don't think another PF is actually needed. Just re-sign Mutombo and this team is at least the 2nd best team already, but it's got a lot younger cast than the Spurs and a lot more fire power.

8. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Scola + Hayes looks good to me.

Other than a Deke at backup center and a pass first PG there isn't anything else I would like to see us add.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Another vet PF and thinning out our roster.

-I would like to trade Alston + JL3 + Landry + Novak for Marshall or SAR + a 2nd rounder

OR

-Head + JL3 + Landry (rights) for Ike Diogu

Something like that. Then I would quit for now.

10. xuel

xuel Member

yes, need kg

11. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I am with you on this but I am leaning with crash on the starting lineup more now:

Francis / Alston / Brooks
    James / Bonzi / Head
    TMac / Battier / ??
    Scola / Hayes / Novak
    Yao / Butler / Deke

On the ?? I say let Reed, Snyder and Harris fight it out in camp for the last spot to see who wins it outright. Snyder would be my call to win it, though. Sign Deke if for nothing more than the playoffs, but sign him.

That is a deep, quick, and potent offensive lineup. You can run a lot of teams into the ground with this lineup.

12. Shanghai_noon

Shanghai_noon Member

Wang zhizhi for vet min then get rid of JLIII.
    He is still much better than Yi.

13. d.wang

d.wang Member

You're joking right? Where's the D?