1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we need another PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Jul 31, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We have :

Scola
    Hayes
    Butler
    Reed
    Landry
    Novak (kinda)

That is enough...

DD

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

I say sign Keith Van Horn for the vet's min. He can cover the 3, 4 and 5. He is also capable of doing what the Rockets are hoping what Novak might able to do in the NBA.It also does help to have a solid and proven backup SF backup which neither Snyder, Reed, and Harris are.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Jeff Foster would be perfect for this team. He seems to be a popular choice on these boards. If the Rockets acquire him for say Alston and Kirk Snyder...Hayes should start at the 4. Hayes compliments Yao very well, and Foster would do the same for Scola.

Yao/Foster/Butler
    Hayes/Scola/Foster(*Landry)
    Battier/Novak/Reed
    McGrady/Wells/Head
    Francis/James/Brooks

If that second unit plays together at the same time, they compliment each other very well on the offensive end. But the defensive side of the ball would look VERY vulnerable. Foster should be the next big.

Are there any indications that the Rockets are targeting him? I've seen his name a lot on this bbs.

4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I would rather have Mike Harris, than Reed

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't know if the Rockets are targeting Foster.I think it will be hard to get him because Rafer is a poor outside shooter like Tinsley and not as good a passer like him either.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I think we're fine at all positions, really. We just have some extra assets we need to liquidate.

7. rocketsmetalspd

Yes time to liquidate the Guard positions. I hope the Pacers do take Rafer for Foster and that Lucas finds a new home.

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

I don't think that's enough. Reed won't play (belive me) and Novak (for me) is more SF than PF. I am pinning my hopes in Landry but I think that's not enought. I don't think Landry, Scola or Hayes are the best option for startin' PF. We need a guy who can score, rebound and who is athletic.

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

All of our PF's can score rebound and are athletic.

10. Barkley

Barkley Member

I don't think Hayes is athletic enough and I don't think he can score. Last season his points were from pretty easy positions.

Landry and Scola haven't already played in NBA so they can be scared.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Uh, Scola?

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I am ok with Hayes as the Starter and Scola coming in off the bench with Landry backup in case of injury. That's actually not too bad and still makes us more formidable than last year with the upgrades we've had at the guard position. Scola and Hayes can compete for minutes and eventually I see Scola taking over the starting position if not immediately.

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

Well I just can't see Hayes as a starter again. And don't think that I'm Hayes hater, cause I like him so much.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This team absolutely needs a solid, proven, well rounded veteran. PJ Brown Kurt Thomas (if bought out) or even Chris Webber would be fine. As many of you know I can't put my confidence into a rookie PF starting against Boozer, Duncan, Stoudemire, etc... If Scola struggles it will hurt. We need someone with experience next to Yao.

We do have the luxury of waiting to pull the trigger on a deal until during the season. When teams get desperate for Alston or think Head may have some real potential. I do expect Head to look better in this offense.

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

I'm thinkin' the same way. Rookies aren't the best option. We need a player who know how to play the game = veteran

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

there's NO pf who can guard those 2... if there is, we can't afford him or he aint available, so just be content with who we have already.

17. redhova

redhova Member

Good call someone who can help but is also a realistic player we can get. I wonder about Alexander Johnson as well who played well when I seem him play against good teams too. Not sure if he has off the court issues. The Grizzlies and Hornets have PF to spare that are good for us Cedric Simmons and believe or not Swift come to mind as much as I did not like him under Adelman you may see a better performer and at the cost of Rafer or Sura and a filler I take it. Jeff hated Stro Swift, hated Steve Francis but loved Ryan Bowan think about that one, before you talk about how much you hate Stro. Frankly I hated Jeff more because he made two players quit on the team because of his stubborness, which is why Bonzi is now playing and I think Stro, Hakim Warwick and especially Collison because of his rebounding could be the best and realistic players we can acquire. :cool:

18. mister pc

mister pc Member

The Rockets could use another PF, but we dont need one. Scola and Hayes will hold it down just fine. It hink the Rockets should probably look at trying to get a SF for Rafer, but PF would be god too. I want a SF because I think the starting lineup should be

PG- Francis (or James)
    SG- TMac
    SF- Battier
    PF- Scola
    C- Yao

If we have TMac and Battier in the game at the same time, who is the backup SF? Either Bonzi or Snyder. Bonzi can do it, but he's really more of a guard, and Snyder isnt someone who should be seeing much PT on this roster. The Scola/Hayes combo will be solid for us this year.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Do I think we need another PF? Yes. But Kevin can't be traded for another 90 days so...

I think they are going with:

Yao, Butler
    Hayes, Scola, Novak
    Battier, Wells, Reed
    McGrady, Snyder, Head
    James, Francis, Brooks

Sura retires/cut

Lucus cut or traded

Rafer may be number 15 until he can be traded.

We may not have the best starting 5 (though it could be the same as last years 51 win team) but we have a deeper bench.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Realistically I think Scola will be the starter and get the lion share of the PF minutes with Hayes and Landry backing him up. Adelman will probably want to start to develop chemistry right out of the gate with Scola playing along side Yao and Battier. I don't think Adelman will be as starved to win every single game in the beginning of the season like JVG was, instead he looks like a coach who will keep his eye on the big picture, which is the playoffs.