1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do We Let Phoenix Win Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Mar 13, 2011.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Important game tomorrow. The chances of making the playoffs vanish if the Rockets lose. If they win, the Rockets hurt their chances of getting Suns' draft pick which should be 6-8 picks higher than the Magic's draft pick.

[​IMG]

What should the Rockets do? I don't like to talk about tanking as much as the next Rockets fan, but a player like Brandon Roy isn't gonna slip to the mid 20s.

Other important games to consider tomorrow:
    1. Memphis vs. LAC
    2. New Orleans vs. Denver (Denver could be 1 game behind the Magic if Orlando loses to the Lakers tomorrow)
    3. Utah vs. Philadelphia

2. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Let Phoenix win?

I hate loser basketball.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's probably best not to think about what the Rockets should do and just find comfort in the fact that should they lose, there is a hidden benefit.

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

Blow them out.

Remember, the Rockets want Memphis to make the playoffs also. If Memphis doesn't make the playoffs twice in the next few years, the Memphis 1st the Rockets owns will drop 30 spots.

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

It's a win win situation

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You mean lose-lose, The best scenario for the picks is that all three of us makes playoffs

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I guess it's win-win...unless Utah makes the playoffs. With the Rockets luck it could happen.

I hadn't considered that. Morey really hedged his chances of landing a good pick out of the trades.

Other things to consider:
    • Is there anyone that sticks out in the draft? I think there are a couple that could fall to the Rockets.
    • The Rockets can buy a late first rounder. The same can't be said about earlier picks.
    • Do the Rockets need to two more prospects? Is there such a thing as too many? The possibility of trading up a few spots is greatly increased with Phonenix's draft pick.

8. FR0497

FR0497 Member

You lost me on #2. Denver behind Orlando???

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

• Assuming that prospects declare despite the lockout, this will be a forward draft. Assuming that C-Bud and Miller cost Adelman his job (which is looking increasingly likely), we can potentially get a couple of good two-way replacements.
    • Buying late first rounders is always hard.
    • Trading up in the draft is always hard.

10. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I say no. Play to make the playoffs. There's too little in terms of talent in this upcoming draft class for the Rockets to get out of anyways IMO.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is sort of a win-win though, especially if say PHX makes it in by one game...I don't think some of you are realizing how much value those two picks can be, especially packaged together AND with a player or two...;)

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The Lakers play Orlando tomorrow. Denver is two games behind Orlando. If Denver beats the Hornets, and the Lakers win against the Magic, the Nuggets will only be one game behind Orlando. They are the only team that has a chance of passing them in my opinion.

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

The problem is that if Phoenix makes it by one game, it is very likely that it will be by one game...over Memphis. Go Rockets, by blowout!

14. Grigori

Grigori Member

I think what he is saying is that, if Phoenix doesn't make the playoffs, we get Orlando's 1st instead, so Denver overtaking Orlando will improve that pick by one spot.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Phoenix plays Orlando today. I want Phoenix to lose, but that's a double loss in terms of the draft.

Memphis losing is most important.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Injuries aside, a player with Brandon Roy's talent won't slip to #2 and might struggle to slip to #1...

17. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

It doesn't really matter what "we" think...

Kyle Lowry after Spurs game: “It might sound impossible but if we get on a good run we can win nine or ten in a row. We just have to go out there and play as hard as we can.”

So there you have it. Rockets won't play like losers no matter what anyone else wants.

18. Rock3tsfanDro

Rock3tsfanDro Member

Never underestimate the heart of a champion!
    - Rudy T
    Rockets will never back down from a challenge.

Vince Carter and Hakim W. Will not combine for 60 + points

If Rockets win the next 4 out 5 games they should be in great shape

19. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

20. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Well put.

I don't think the Rockets will purposely tank either...but it's it's at least nice to know that there's a consolation prize if they don't win and make the playoffs like we hope.