1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we have to get rid of Asik and Lin's contracts in order to get a 3rd star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WallStreetWolf, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Actually I believe you can

2. deshen

deshen Member

Money talks. He will go if he gets a fat contract there.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

We'll probably have to send the pick with Lin- although its a buyers market for picks since several teams are shopping picks.

Asik should be movable- hopefully to an eastern team.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The whole premise is that Parson wants to be in Houston and that Houston wants him to get paid a year earlier so they are cooperating. I seriously doubt that Houston makes this move unless they already know the Parsons wants to remain a Rocket and that they are on board with his asking price.

There's a good chance that Parson's doesn't even negotiate with other teams. Making him a RFA is a favor to Parsons and if they've already negotiated a salary then there's really no reason for him to entertain offers from other teams.

The Rockets are showing their trust in Parsons but sure he could back out of the agreement ala Carlos Boozer and the Cavs but I don't think that's likely.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If we can rid ourselves of Royce White, we can rid ourselves of anybody.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure, if they remain Rockets. Other teams have not been accruing for their expense in case they were traded for. It'd be all fine if the Rockets can just send them the difference, but they can't. They can only do $3m max between the two.

I think you can, but not if that RFA signs an offer sheet with another team. And, to include him in an S&T would mean he has to approve the destination and the contract, etc. Seems like a longshot. And, I think Love can fetch something better anyway.

I think the likeliest scenario is that Parsons signs the fattest offer sheet he can find, and the Rockets decide whether they'll match.

No, they can't send him where they want. Not before Dec 15. By then, the current opportunities are likely gone.

I seriously doubt they'll have any under-the-table understanding with Parsons. He wants as big a contract as possible. He might like the Rockets and all but I don't expect he'll do any favors.

Eh, I don't think so. That's why they have the moratorium. All this stuff can be worked out before the first day of free agency. Of course, never say never.

You wouldn't do this for Melo. You could do it for Love or someone else under contract. But the BYC status is a good point. That might be surmountable though.

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Except, what if a team offers him way more than the Rockets are willing to? What if the Rockets miss out on Melo and other big FAs and don't want to give Chandler $12M and lock themselves into him as their #3 player for the rest of the Howard/Harden era?

It has really, really big backfire potential.

8. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Melo will not be worked out before July 1. Essentially the Rockets are taking the risk that no one signs Parsons to an offer sheet before Melo decides or not more than 3 days before Melo decides. And even then, they have to have everything set up at that moment to get it done with him or another top FA before matching for Parsons.

If you don't think they will have an under the table understanding with Parsons, how do you think free agency and all possible trades with other FA targets will be figured out before FA?

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Not a chance. Neither one is the type of players PJ wants for his system.

10. verysimplejason

If Rodman fitted, Asik will also fit. Harper fitted, so will also Lin. I think Lin can be a better defensive player once he's not too concerned of defending the other player guarded by one of his teammates. In the triangle, as long as you're a willing passer and is willing to execute what has been told, you will fit. Heck, it's taylor-made for Lin because he'll not be prone to error with that system. All plays are almost controlled in the high post. The PG in this system is only tasked to bring the ball half court. Even Odom, a PF can be tasked to do it. ISO plays are very much different from triangle.