1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we expect a move during draft day?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Jun 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

While there is no question we have quite abit of talent, I am not sure that we have the right mix of guys. Our team was meant to be guard oriented before our incredible luck in the draft of '02.

We had a dirty work guy in Cato - who showed this year that he can be quite effective if not asked to do too much

A low post scorer in MoT - Say what you want but towards the end of the season he had several games where he looked awesome with his baby hook. It clearly took him a little while to get comfortable with his injured ankle.

A SF that compensated for MoT's weaknesses in EG - shot blocking and rebounding

A guard tandem that could score with any one.

Now, we have a center who should be our main guy on offense, which calls for consistent outside shooting and ball movement to create space for him to work under the basket. Our team this season was caught in a state of flux. At times the guards obviously dominated the ball, and at other times Yao was clearly fatigue from his 458 straight days of B-ball.

I think that we will end up moving in a slightly different direction this season, if not by the start then some what by the mid-point. We need a PF to do the dirty work and some consistent outside shooting. I am not sure that we need a true pass first PG as most of the offense should be run through Yao. Additionally, SF isn't that bad at distributing the ball, and I can guarantee that his assist numbers would have been better with more consistent shooting. Although I will add that if we could obtain a PG via the draft or trade that might be what is best overall for the team. SF could be awesome if his sole focus is on scoring. I think we could end up with a Shaq and Kobesque type combo.

Therefore I do believe that we will make some changes to our current mix of guys, but I don't know if it is going to be through the draft or via a trade for veterans. I do think that Les DEFINITELY wants to make a big splash to draw people to the new stadium, and I think that may be the biggest motivating factor of them all.

2. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

The only player that I want to see gone is Moochie Norris. I REALLY hate Mooch.

You can say what you will about Taylor's suspect defense, and sub-par rebounding, But he does bring something to the table; scoring.

However, you cant say that about Mooch, he brings NOTHING to the Rockets but 24 second violations!

If someone from the inside of the Rockets ever reads this board PLEASE do us all a huge favor and let Moochie return to his home planet!

3. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Mo Taylor came off a massive Achilles Heal injury last year. I think he will be noticeably more effective this year because it normally takes a year to recover from this kind of injury.

4. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

If MoT improves over last year, then he could become downright dominant as a low post scorer! He definitely took over quite a few games at the tail end of last season.

I would weclome any trade that would improve the outside shooting of our team, but I might keep Cato and MoT for at least another year as a very solid bench brigade. Use MoT as your 2nd units primary scorer with Cato for the dirty work, and try to bring a beast PF to play with Yao to be his dirty work guy. I personally wouldn't mind trading Mobes, Rice, EG, or Mooch, but I would mind keeping some of those guys either. I just think we need some tweaking personally.

My gut tells me to epect something big though. I really think Les wants to do something that will create a BIG stir in the city.

5. Olajumus Prime

I think we need to bring in some type of POWER FORWARD POWER FORWARD , a guy who can come in and get rough, get rebounds, help take the pressure off of Yao, I disagree with some of the earlier post about us not needing a pg, (Steve Francis is a 2 Guard) , but I do agree that we really dont need to get any younger....so back to my main topic, we need some established power forward, to help take some of the slack off our big man

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I bet you are related to Omega Supreme in some way!

7. Olajumus Prime

I bet you are related to Omega Supreme in some way![/QUOTE] ,nah Taco Bell stopped making those

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

okay.... okay... only fattyfatbastard is allowed to associate my name with taco bell. :mad: :D :mad: :D

just remember who the first transformer on clutchbbs was.

#28 OmegaSupreme, Jun 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

wheres doc rocket?

10. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

when is the draft?

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Thursday