1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we expect a move during draft day?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Jun 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

We're all very excited now that JVG took the reigns of the rockets. I'm just curious if we could expect some moves by the management during draft day.What do ya think guys? I want to see how JVG, Les and Dawson would remold our roster.... :)

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Why doesn't anyone understand? We do not need to be getting any younger! I can't stress that enough! We've had a good core together for a few seasons now and they have gotten good at playing with each other. We are already the second youngest team in the league and we don't need another rookie. WE ARE NOT REBUILDING! The team and the fans doesn't want/need to wait 2-3 more years while an inexperienced rook tries to handle the reigns (I'm assuming you want us to draft a PG-which we don't need) The Rockets were misguided last season by a coach - who is a good one - was just not suited for our type of team anymore. The Rockets respected Rudy, but they didn't listen to him. JVG won't take their crap and he'll enforce some stuff that will get them to play smarter.

Also, moT is a great offensive player, we don't need to be trading him and Cato (who is a great at what he does - don't insert joke here - I'm talkin bout rebounding and being a sparkplug) and Cat who is a top tier guard all for J. O'neal or other crap like that. I don't care what people say, the Rockets have a ton of depth. We don't need to deplete it with a boneheaded trade like that. The only trade that makes sense is Cat/Griff for Brand.

If JVG brings Houston or Sprewell to the Rockets, I will hate and boycott him, those 2 SUCK! They would ruin our chemistry. All they do is demand the ball for more and more shots. Same thing with Rice for Glenn Robinson - I'd rather have Rice since he doesn't demand the ball. Big Dog would just jack up shot after endless shot while taking shots away from players that are better than him (Franchise, Dynasty).

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JVG's history is towards established players and away from rookies.

4. jshabang

jshabang Member

You can bet your bottom dollar that he's gonna do something

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I agree with you guys...But that could also be a way in order for us to trade away fat contracts..

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Rumors say Les wants to make a big splash, but like others say, I can't see that associated with the draft. We're young enough, we need a system tailored to our talent, not another infusion of talent.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If Taylor is such a great offensive weapon, why he's never avg more than 17ppg ? I would ever used the word great and Taylor in the same sentence. I thing good or adequate is more deserving.

8. TIburon

TIburon Member

I will agree with rockets-#1 early post...

We do not need to move up in the draft for a underclassman that will need at least 2 years to get NBA ready...

I disagree with the part about Rudy T. not doing the things necessary for this team to win...

Last season, no one knew what Yao would give us... He comes to the NBA about 5 games into the season, has to learn the offense-that is not set up for a pure post player, has a good run of games and we all expect them to start putting the ball in Yao's hands like we did Dream... No one thinks about Yao being tired the entire 2nd half(played in China and then NBA for about 10 months straight-oh and guess what he's doing now playing in China and then back here in the NBA)... I just don't think Rudy could make drastic changes in the offense to get Yao more touches(yeah he should have gotten more touches but remember the guy is only 21 and a rookie in a totally different league)... I think Rudy T. had to just play out this season, which started well and ended badly... I don't think many other coaches could have done anything better with the situation... Now if your asking about the other players, then I do agree, they just aren't getting it done EG, Cat, Rice and Norris(all underachieved this past season)...

I'm not too big on trading for a All-star like O'Neal... Good but not what we really need... Or any other big move especially in the draft...

I'd rather keep Cato unless there is someone else in the draft that we think will be a good backup center... Cato maybe getting a big salary right now but when his contract is up, I don't think Houston will have to give him that much for him to stay(he'll never be a starting big man again-just my opinion)...

I'd probably just play out some trade scenarios with teams and see if any stick... The O'Neal one and any others for players just don't seem they will stick...

The one reason I'd like to have O'Neal is for his length... He be a guy we could use against Duncan(we have no one that can really defend him)... Yao is our Shaq defender and so is Cato... Have to keep in mind these 2 guys are who you have to go through to win a title right now... Shaq ans Duncan, a championship goes through them...

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

He doesn't average a lot - but look at last season - when we needed someone scorin down the stretch, a lot of times he was takin over.

10. iball

iball Contributing Member

I remember JVG calling MoT a highly skilled offensive player last season on some TNT broadcasts of Rockets games. I mean he was raving about MoT's offense.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree with rockets #1. We are NOT rebuilding. At some point we have to stop thinking about the future and think about the present. This team won more games than they lost last year and finished 1 game away from the playoffs on the way to being one of the most improved teams from the year before. Why do we need to trade everyone away and start over?

We've seen what this team can do under Rudy, now let's see what it can do under JVG. Rudy was a great coach for the teams in the mid 90's ie. HOF center and lots of veterans. His style just wasn't right for a young team like we have now. Young teams need a teaching coach, not a players coach.

I thought all along that this team could be very good as is with a different coaching philosophy. I say lets wait and see.

Unless we can get TJ Ford...

12. Greg M

Greg M Member

Oh great. :rolleyes:

I have to watch Mo Taylor at least one more season until VG realises that he's a waste of a space?

Hook shot or not, I don't want him.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

The Rockets could make a move if it involves relieving some cap space for a rookie contract, on a rookie that shows a lot of promise on being an immediate impact. I mean the Rockets could try going the direction of the Clippers this season and try acquiring some rookie contracts to alleviate some of that cap space.

14. nolan

nolan Member

Rocket's #1 most true diehard fans wouldn't HATE and BOYCOTT a coach based on a trade....

so you may want to put an * in you sig line saying:

*i only support the rox if they don't make such and such trade.

fickle fans.... fickle.

I think we should expect some sort of move, but not be TOO surprised if it's not a big blockbuster one... the big move may come after the draft ~> instead of rockets trading for a spot to pick, they may just let teams pick and make a trade for the player they want.

other than tj ford, what other players have worked out for the rockets???

15. Greg M

Greg M Member

Are you suggesting trading Moochie for TJ Ford? :p

I don't see any team willing to part with a potentially great player for the likes of Mooch, MoT or Cato. I also can not see Mobley being traded for a draft pick. No way. This team needs cool headed high percentage players and draft picks are almost never that.

16. silent j

silent j Member

As much as I see the logic in this post, acquiring an early enough pick to nab Ford or Heinrich to play behind Francis would be a 100% improvement over Moochie during the 2-3 years it takes for them to develope, and I really don't think it would take 3 years for either of them.
    j

17. W Texas Rocket

We have a young team. We need to learn to play together. There is plenty of talent.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This is at the core of our problem.They haven't been playing well together! JVG is going to start from scratch. He doesnt realise it yet, after he views the tapes he will!

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I half-expect some sort of draft-day trade (re: with Toronto, NY, or Miami, maybe).

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Draft picks sometimes make exisiting players expendable. Rox may find someone they like available. It looks like teams are less and less able to take on contracts, however, so I wouldn't expect anyone to take Taylor, Cato or Mooch. The market is trending down, with a lower cap and bad ratings and luxury taxes to worry about. I'd think the free agent market will actually yield some cheaper contracts, once the top dogs move out.

Will the Rox be willing to carry the payroll they have now? Do they need Rice's cap relief for themselves?