1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Vikings have the good oil on QB's?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Wattafan, May 5, 2014.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Came across this article in my travels and it appears to be associated with someone from the Minnesota Vikings organisation.
    Warning - it is only for those who are truly objective in finding the best QB options for our team.
    Takes about 10 minutes to read and digest but has a certain amount of "Aha..." or Hmmm... about it. Only those who stay the course will be rewarded.
    Pick away.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

I saw this too, it actually has a pretty good track record too

If this holds up, its safe to assume Bridgewater will be at the very least a top 8-12 qb

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The short version is that based on this one random blogger's arbitrary and subjective rankings, Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB in the class and the only one this random blogger predicts to be "successful". Random blogger also predicts Manziel, Bortles, Mettenburger, and Jimmy G to be "busts" based on his arbitrary and subjective rankings.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The analysis only looks smart because his "results" is actually a combination of his own stats and NFL scouting results. What he should've done if he was trying to be truly fair is list ALL the QBs taken in previous NFL drafts. By limiting history to 1st round QBs, he's essentially taking out all players that may seem successful based on his own chart, but not by NFL teams.

For example, his list this year include 8 QBs that he considers at least Average. Based on the chart above, "Average" to him implies perennial Pro-Bowlers like Phillip Rivers or Matt Ryan. I will bet the house that not even half of those 8 QBs will have careers even close to that of Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, etc. that he used as threshhold for being an "average" NFL QB.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This reinforces something I already had concluded. The NFL really needs it's version of Daryl Morey/Billy Beane to appear.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The way I see it, he played with numbers till he got a chart that said what he wanted it to. It's not a coincidence that he managed to work Bridgewater's numbers till they got to the "successful" rank and worked Mettenburger, Manziel, Bortles, and Jimmy G's numbers till they said "bust".

One could easily add the "-4" to Teddy for not having a strong arm and add potentially even the "lacks accuracy" due to the fact that he lacks accuracy over about 10-12 yards down the field. Also they could add the "poor mechanics or fundamentals" due to his odd throwing motion and his inconsistent footwork. The numbers could be made to say whatever you want them to say, and IMO they just show what the random blogger wants you to see. I do give him credit though, he went through a lot of effort to churn out some interesting Bridgewater propaganda.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Anytime a post like this is made I wonder if the OP is actually the author of whatever link they send us to.

10. Remii

Remii Member

That was a complete waste of time. You could have put this in the Teddy Bridgewater thread.

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

You might as well imply I might be Teddy Bridgewater too. :rolleyes:

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Alex Smith has the highest ranking of any of his NFL QBs - almost 50% higher than Aaron Rodgers.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WTF is the "good oil"?

1 person likes this.
  14. carlosc

carlosc Member

I think most NFL teams actually want to win.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well, according to this formula, Derek Carr is the next best potentially successful QB left after Teddy.

Get it done!!! :cool:

16. conquistador#11

it's black gold but less racist.:p