1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Texans draft for Defense or Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketMania1991, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be all over that. Earl Thomas has been a stud in the UT secondary. Not a big fan of the two Browns or Gideon, but this guy (Thomas) just seems legit.

2. msn

msn Member

No, he's not. He's being outplayed by a freaking rookie. He's getting burned, and he's missing tackles. In a contract year, no less.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, he's getting burned. Everyone is getting burned.

4. msn

msn Member

And he's missing tackles. And he's blowing coverages. I've seen McCain and Quinn make as many plays, if not more, than PayMe the last few weeks. I don't think the Texans are losing much by letting him walk.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

not an excuse. he wants franchise money--he's supposed to be a stud in the secondary and a supposed shut-down corner. Doesn't matter what everyone on the team is doing...HE shouldn't be getting burned so often.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah that.. and I also never know if I just dislike Gideon so much that I like Thomas by default

But I disagree w/ Joe Joe...UT secondary players have done pretty well in the NFL in the last 10 years..right? Aaron Ross, Jammer, Griffin, Griffin? Vasher maybe not so much

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

When they replay catches made, DR's not even in the camera shot most of the time. When he does appear, he's already in whiffing torpedo tackle mode.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

How far would they have to move down to pick up an extra second round pick?

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I say, we should go for defense. Either a run stuffing NT or a possible elite Free Safety. Depending on how Barber finishes the year, I favor DT myself.

And Dunta is not being franchised, we are likely to use that on DeMeco or even Pollard before Robinson this off season. I think they might try giving him another smaller contract (probably on par with what Reeves is getting right now) then what was offered before, but no way should we pay him anything near top 5 money he was holding out for.

Only a dumb GM on caliber to the former Lions one would give Dunta anything close to what he was holding out for last off season.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Versus how good they were in college and draft location, I would have expected more out of these guys in the NFL, in general.

11. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

looks like its us and yall to battle out for better records in the our division, but yall should handle the rams like we did, they SUCK ASS

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It is looking more and more like Brice McCain and Glover Quinn will be capable of holding down the CB position next season without the Texans losing much. They need another safety with Pollard and a big DT. I say draft one in the first round and sign a good FA for the other spot. Center also really needs to be looked at. Myers is garbage

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Very good points. McCain will forever be a nickleback type, but GQ impresses me. In fact I feel better with him than "pay me"...

Mr. fear the spear Pollard is absolutely great. We need a top Free Safety as a priority, and a defensive lineman who can actually penetrate. We can't keep relying on our top notch LB's to do it all....

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

If I had to pick between drafting a FS or a CB, gimme a CB. (can't I have both?!)

Order of need:
    1) G/C (studdard and caldwell are not the answer)
    2) CB (dunta is done)
    3) DT (big dropoff in "need" after this)
    4) RB (we need, at the very least, a reliable short yardage back)
    5) FS (depth would be nice)
    6) K (lol :()

15. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I really like Joe Haden, but would prefer a RB in the 1st RD. I know Kubiak doesn't like drafting these in the 1st round and like to sign over the hill runners but our rushing is near the bottom of the league and think a guy like Best would be a good fit. Besides, does anyone feel that Slaton is going to be similar to Domanick Davis?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

If we fix our interior OL, we won't be b****ing about an RB.

Unless the fumble-itis continues.

But, we shouldn't have to blow a 1st or 2nd rounder to get a guy who doesn't fumble.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Don't jinx Slaton like that man.

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I don't think Texans should draft a running back in the first three rounds. Arian Foster had a real good game and showed some nice potential. I still have not given up on Steve Slaton. Also, don't forget about Jeremiah Johnson. He missed the whole season with after shoulder surgery. He averaged 7.4 ypc in college as a senior. Also the free agent class for running backs has some good backs. Bigger needs at nose tackle, offensive guard, free safety, and cornerback.

19. theimpossibles1

Our most immediate and dire need is a new kicker. Kris Brown has cost us dozens of points and potentially a couple of games. He CAN NOT be our kicker next season.

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Honest, I think FA will deeply impact what draft with our 1st round pick. Pollard's asking price probably just tripled today.

Has anyone EVER drafted a kicker within the first 3 rounds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.