1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets need improvement via trade and if so ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMO (DJ remix), Jan 26, 2017.

?

Should Rockets make a trade that will help short term, but might impact our future

Poll closed Feb 10, 2017.
  1. Yes, let's do this, we can't waste prime years of Harden

78.3%
  2. Na bruh, let's try to get PG or some other star in offseason

8.7%
  3. Bruh, how many same topics about same thing we can discuss?

4.3%
  4. A clearly in disguise DMO topic

8.7%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, I think Morey would trade his own mother for the right player. Codman has hinted at our interest in Millsap and "the birds"; he has also mentioned losing some of our heart in a trade for a star-ish level player, and, to me, that's Ariza (Beverly we need).

The numbers would have to work anyway if such a trade occurred. Again, Ariza. (Or, hell, Ryno, but Morey has coveted him for too long.)

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The problem with trading Ariza is that you don't have a wing player who can shoot if you dump him. Dekker has games every now and then when he hits 3s, but for the most part he's not a very good 3 point shooter right now.

D-rock likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Get rid of Sewer. Addition by substraction.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You'd be surprised at the number of people with 4 posts in 10+ years. Every once in a while a few pop up. It's like they created an account and totally forgot about it.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. blackistan

blackistan Member

What would we have to give up for Melo he would be lethal in this offense

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

A minor trade will be made at the deadline-2:59pm CT.

JUST IN to SportsCenter: Rockets trade Tyler Ennis for Jordan Hamilton

Jordan is someone we've coveted for a long time. We really like him & think he can help us as we make a push for home court in the playoffs. Obviously it's up to Mike where & when he plays but we think he can be a great player for us off the bench.

We thought we had some other [bigger] deals lined up but obviously that didn't happen. I like our roster. I think we have a good roster that's gonna make a push here for home court. We want home court. That was our goal coming into the season, that's still our goal. I think we can do it. Obviously we're not the favorites in the West - Golden State, San Antonio, maybe the Clippers - but we like our chances in the first round. COY [candidate] Mike D'Antoni & the no doubt MVP in my mind James Harden, we like our chances. Now we still have to go out & play but we feel good about it.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is this the ex Rocket Jordan Hamilton?

8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I voted trade, but I change my mind. Keep the pick. Keep building towards the future as long as GS and CLE run the league.

True. Look at how many boring teams those two teams alone created.

Heat - Thanks to LeBron
    Thunder - Thanks to Durant
    Wolves - Thanks to Love (word was he was not gonna re-sign in Minny IIRC)

Portland - Thanks to LA going to SA
    Bulls - Thanks to Pau joining SA

If Bosh stayed in Toronto he would have been better off long term, and most likely would have won a chip as the leader vs the 2 he won in Miami and still have chances to win. Right now with the heat he is at 0% chance of winning.

That's 3-4 elite teams and 2-3 playoff teams that are a bore to watch this season.

Also, trying to form a super team in Brooklyn has turned them into one of the worst teams in the league with no hope to be good anytime soon.

#28 Brown Lost It, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  9. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Jordan Hamilton's not playing on an NBA team this season so i don't how we trade Tyler Ennis for him....Though i remember reading i think a Houston Chronicle article a couple years back when he was with the Rockets that he was the hardest worker at Training Camp.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's way too many needs to acquire in straight trades although I belive that is the one thing entire board is united on, Rockets need an upgrade/depth at 5, another 3 pt shooting point and a true 3-D wing backup. Getting proven vets at all 3 spots via trade may not be realistic.

There are good players available, even vets, that don't require trade:

3 point shooting PG
    *Reggie Williams, Jimmer Fredette, Gabe York

3-D Wing
    *Lance Stephenson, Jakarr Sampson, Jamaal Franklin

Long Rim Protector
    *Larry Sanders, Smoove, Isaiah Austin

If anything, Morey may be able to swing trade for one of the above positions only. If that was scenario then I would trade for Ariza backup/eventual replacement and sign Nerlens Noel in off season and bring in Joe Chee to push Wiltjer.

Beard-Splash-Gabe York
    Bev-Jamaal Franklin
    Ariza-Aaron Gordon-Hezonja
    Ryno-Harrell-Isaiah Austin
    Capela-Larry Sanders-Nene

Harrell and Austin can also back up 5 if Nene has to rest or in event of injury. But acquiring a young lock down wing is critical for playoffs. Aaron Gordon is also capable of ball handling and distributing for short periods. That would give Rockets the flexibility of having 3 facillitators on the floor at all times, 4 if Smoove replaces Austin. Rockets could even forgo a trade entirely by signing Lance Stephenson or playing Jamaal Franklin behind Ariza, both options are not as good as acquiring PJ Tucker, CJ Miles or AGordon.

No Chance and kjayp like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Personally, I see plenty of opportunities to improve our roster without mortgaging the future...

I'd take a flier on Larry Sanders... 2 yr deal - team option on the second year... He may give us the defensive presence we need down low.... have him splitting time with Capella...

same with Lance Stephenson or a similar player... gotta be a better option than Brown or Ennis...

Use our future 1st to jettison Corey Brewer and other debris for future flexibility...

D-rock likes this.
  12. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

A few things, this is a Houston Rockets problem the defense is improving, but part of defense is rebounding they are still improving on the rotations aspect, but are not at the boxing out and rebounding aspect of defense yet. As far as our bigs go I do not see enough criticism in regards to ShaNenes rebounding and him skipping games when our team needs him. If he needs to be this restricted the our priority number 1 needs to be a 3rd big and if good enough maybe Nene gets traded in exchange for that big. We need consistency and reliability at that position and other that our spacing and turnover issues, this is the biggest problem for the Rockets. Also if we got Tyson Chandler he should start and Capela should come off the bench and improve our bench against second units.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yuck

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rockets fan: What's going on? We wanna know the truth!
    Morey: All right, I'm gonna level with you. There is no reason to panic. It's true one of the pilots is ill. (nose starting to grow) Slightly ill. (nose continues to grow) But the others are doing juuuust fine and they are handling the controls (nose still growing), free to live a life of religious fulfillment.
    Rockets fan: Um, I asked you about trades?
    Morey: Oh! Sorry. Yes, we thought we had some bigger deals lined up....

J.R. likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm sure Morey will engage in all trade talks and see what shakes out, but I think at best we are looking at a very small trade for cap relief or picks. I agree that Houston can't hang with the Cavs/Warriors of the world, but it just takes one slip on a Dmo wet spot for the entire fate of the playoffs to change so Houston is best served mostly keeping this team in tact, and hoping they catch some breaks because there isn't going to be any way for them to add a star to help compete with GS.

If we found a way to add a better defender or 3 point shooter than Brewer then I would say that would be a home run but again - I can't see too many ways to improve this roster with the available pieces we would be willing to trade which likely includes Brewer, KJ McDaniels, and whatever else is sitting on the bench. Maybe Morey would be willing to throw a 2nd rounder in that mix, but I doubt it and unfortunately Brewer/KJ/and some more bench trash would get very much of anything. You are probably more likely to see the classic Morey deal facilitation help where Morey helps two teams consummate a trade by offering cap or assets to satisfy the deal and picking up something like a 2nd round draft pick in return...

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Steps Curry is an UFA at seasons end. He might want too much money to be a backup to Beverley.

To that you are the master!!

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm in agreement other than I feel the Spurs are right there as well. They are the only team that I feel can make an adjustment and rattle the Warriors in a 7 game series. I don't feel the Cavs have that this year (but anything will go in the Finals as we already saw).

I am remembering 1995 when the Rockets got Drexler at the deadline. This may be the year we need to make a similar impact move to show that we are contenders and not just an early favorite.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  18. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Can you imagine Curry on this team, though? Damn, I can only wish.

19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I had not even considered that. Great point. Im no longer a proponent of that trade scenario

Jatman20 likes this.
  20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

True. I lurked daily for nearly 10 years before making my first post.

JamalP. likes this.