1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do room-based air filters really work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by br0ken_shad0w, Jul 18, 2007.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

My bedroom is always filling up in dust and no matter how much I clean, it also seems to come back a few days later. I see dust bunnies by the dozens and see the sunlight rays reveal a very polluted room. I haven't developed respiratory problems (yet), but it's becoming annoying and most likely harmful to my health. I ask because I want to know if they can really clear a room and which types are actually effective and which are gimmicks (I heard bad things about that Ionic Breeze).

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

a true HEPA room air filter (if you buy one that's meant for a room of the proper size) works well. Especially if you place it in an optimal position in the room. Don't use one that involves ionizing/putting out ozone.

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I agree, I have a really nice Ionic Breeze and it doesn't filter worth a damn.. The only time I turn the thing on is to use it as a deodorizer if we cook something that smells up the place or it smells stale inside.. I highly recommend staying away from any sharper image "filter" for your house..

I've found have a good cleaning from top to bottom in your house along with having your Heating/Cooling ducts cleaned and using high merv rated furnace filters will help more than buying a few hepa filters.. Also, if you have carpet make sure it gets vacuumed every week and clean all the drapes and ceiling fans in your house once a month along with a good dusting every week..

#3 Davidoff, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

HEPA filters work, but can be effing noisy.

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

word, they are noisy

They sell some at target that work well. I think the brand is Holmes. You want to vomit when it is time to replace the filter and you see how much stuff the filter captures.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Unless it's like annoyingly loud, I won't mind the noise (coming from someone who has six fans on his computer), but yeah thanks for the advice everyone.

7. kaleidosky

i've never had a problem with the noise.

But I agree w/the above poster about the cleaning. You'd also want to change your bedsheets/other linens weekly if possible (bi-weekly otherwise) and wash them in hot water.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dusting is a losing cause when you have a major dust problem...even with a HEPA filter. Your best bet is to move. That's the only way I solved my problem. And, I can't tell you how many hours I wasted in my life cleaning and dusting. NEVER AGAIN! LOL.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Paint your house.

A lot of dust in older homes is paint and ceiling dust from old paint jobs.

Replace AC filters more often. Get a good vacuum and vacuum more often.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's exactly what I'm doing. ROFL. Moving, I got tired of all the dust building up. It was nasty. I'm moving in 2 days after my 36hr shift is over.

11. kaleidosky

forgot to say.. the noise doesn't bother me, but I keep it running on "low" all day. If it was on anything higher, the noise would be too much to sleep through probably.