1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do people outside of the greater Houston area not consider themselves Houstonians?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Feb 5, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do you live outside of Houston city limits (Pearland, Missouri City, The Woodlands) and claim Housto

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    84.5%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Last night I was surprised when Chris Broussard on the ESPN broadcast said that Jimmy Butler made it clear that he's not from Houston, and that he doesn't claim Houston. He claims Tomball.

Which got me thinking, who else outside of the greater city limits doesn't say they are from Houston even if they are within driving minutes of the greater Houston area.

Edit: To rephrase the question, if you were out of state and someone asked where you are from, would you say I'm from Houston or say I'm from The Woodlands, Tx (or any outside city)

#1 Scionxa, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As someone who lives inside Houston I agree with Butler's stance.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, please don't rep Houston while living in Katy.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I was more surprised at the lebron/Akron/Cleveland comparison to Butler. Tomball is much smaller than Akron.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What television stations are on in Tomball? I know in Galveston, all the local stations are still in line with Houston.

If that's the same in Tomball, like it or not, he's part of the greater Houston area.

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

The Woodlands is not it's own city, parts of the Woodlands are in Houston City limits and parts are in Conroe City limits, other parts are in neither,

I live just outside of Tomball and claim Houston because I was born and live din Houston for so long

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ "its", not "it's", man. :eek:

Excellent point. I never repped Houston because I didn't live there at that time. I said: "I'm don't live in Houston." <- true fact at the time

Different thing, but related:
    Now, if you want to be a fan of a team that's nearby... that's cool. Just imagine if people from Boston didn't rep the Foxboro Patriots! :grin:

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I spent my first 4 years in Texas City, then 13 years in League City, then 1 in Arlington, then 4 in Huntsville. I've lived in Houston for the 5+ years since then.

When people ask where I'm from or where do I live, I say Houston; but if they ask something more specific like "where did you grow up" then I'll say League City. I like to pretend the years in Texas City and Arlington never happened.

I think I'm answering the question accurately.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm from the Crosby area, barely 30 miles outside of the city. You can clearly see the downtown skyline when on Hwy 90 far before you get to the Beltway. I always tell people I'm from the "Crosby Area", usually people will ask where that is if their not familiar and I just say "30 miles NE of Houston."

10. AXG

AXG Member

If I'm talking to someone from the Houston area, I say Cypress. If not, I say Houston.

11. SwoLy-D

FYI, question on thread title isn't the same as the question on the poll. :eek:

It's one thing to be a person outside the greater Houston area and consider themselves something, and another to LIVE outside the Houston city limits and "claim" Houston.

Haymitch and HR Dept bring up the place where they were born, which is also different.

In my personal case: I was born outside Houston and way farther than to claim it. I lived in Houston starting at 12. I lived in Katy starting at 28. I moved back to Houston at 38. Being born in, claiming, living and repping are all different.

12. K mf G

message boarding while working not proof reading, you're excused for being an ******* tho

1 person likes this.
  13. SwoLy-D

LOL! :grin: That's hilarious! How do you know I don't have permission to 'message board' (I doubt that's a verb, but I will use it like you did). Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program. :cool:

14. K mf G

i was describing my actions

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Tomball is not a ****ing city. I don't care what anyone says. If someone says they're from Sugarland, but not from Houston they're full of **** too. If they say they're from the Woodlands I'd say that's far enough from the city they can claim it's elsewhere.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If I'm talking to someone outside of Texas, I say Houston. If I'm talking to someone from Texas, I say Kingwood. Or more specifically, occupied Kingwood.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I just respond with my full street address anytime somebody asks.

1 person likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Where are you from?

19. SwoLy-D

OK, but you could have written "its" without the apostrophe from the get go... and that was my point. AND you have time to edit, just after posting up to a day. I see you're a contributing member, man, so you CAN. :cool: Why am I an ******* for telling you how it's supposed to be?

20. K mf G

you're an ******* for being a grammar nazi, i know the difference, why bother to correct it now?

if i was submitting documents for legal purposes, or for work purposes my grammar would be on point, you want me to read every single one of your posts and point out the grammatical inconsistencies? no, because it's a message board

above you capitalized all the letters in the word and, that is incorrect you only need to capitalize the first letter, starting a sentence with the word and is also terrible writing, the three periods between go and and are also incorrect you should have used a comma