1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Mavs have enough cap space to sign Deron Williams?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Been reading about Dallas' effort to trade Odom without getting any salary in return. The latest is involves Odom going to the Clippers but they need a 3rd team to take the $8 mil owed to Mo Williams.

So, I took a look at their salary figures: If they let everyone without a guaranteed contract go, and also waive the partially guaranteed contract of Vince Carter and Lamar Odom, they will have 6 guys under contract for $39.6 million (including the upcoming cap hold for the 17th pick). Adding roster charges for empty roster spots and you are at $42.4 million, leaving them $15.6 million in cap room, which is $1.56 million short of what the max salary that Deron can make ($17.18 mil). So, it seems that they need to reduce their total salary by $1.56 million or more. Am I missing anything here?

Also, I wonder what it will cost them to get this done.

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th> Name </th><th> Notes </th><th> 2012-13 </th></tr> <tr><td>Dirk Nowitzki</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$20,907,128 </td></tr> <tr><td>Lamar Odom</td><td>Waived</td><td>$2,400,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Shawn Marion</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$8,396,364 </td></tr> <tr><td>Brendan Haywood</td><td>Amnestied</td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>Vince Carter</td><td>Waived</td><td>$2,000,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Rodrigue Beaubois</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$2,227,333 </td></tr> <tr><td>Dominique Jones</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,276,560 </td></tr> <tr><td>Kelenna Azubuike</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,069,509 </td></tr> <tr><td>17th Pick</td><td>Cap Hold</td><td>$1,302,600 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Sub-total</td><td>$39,579,494 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td># of Remaining Players</td><td>6</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td># of Empty Roster Charges</td><td>6</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Roster Charge/Spot</td><td> $473,604 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Roster Charge Total</td><td>$2,841,624 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Total Salary</td><td>$42,421,118 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Projected Cap</td><td> $58,040,000.00 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Projected Cap Space</td><td> $15,618,882.00 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Needed for D.Williams</td><td>$17,177,795 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Need to Clear</td><td>$1,558,913.25 </td></tr></table>

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Bring back Bill Garnett!

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

what about trading Shawn Marion for a trade exception like the Lakers did for Lamar Odom?

4. Carl Herrera

Sure, but then what does the playing rotation look like? Marion is the 2nd best player left on the roster going into next season.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They need to trade Marion to sign Dwight and Deron, don't know if any team bites.

6. cdastros

cdastros Member

Miami did not care about the rotation when they signed James and CB. You do what you can to sign superstars and then build role players around them through the draft and whatever money is left.

7. Carl Herrera

Marion is irrelevant to signing Dwight. Dwight and Marion both have contracts that expire in 2013.

Sure, that's with 3 superstars. Dallas will have only Deron Williams and 34-year-old Dirk. I don't see that team, minus Marion, Kidd, Terry, etc., being any better than the 2011-12 Maves team.

And getting rid of Martion won't give them the room to sign Dwight next year, either. Between Dirk and Deron, they'll be owed $40.7 million. Even if you sign absolutely nobody, them two plus 10 roster charges gets you close to more than $45 million, which is only $13 million under the current cap, and well short of the $20.5 million starting salary that Dwight Howard will be eligible for. There really is not any way to fit Dwight, Deron and Dirk under the cap.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Carl Herrera, Y U NO check your Twitter?

I could be missing something myself, but I believe you got Deron's max salary wrong.

He's a 7 year vet, which means he qualifies for $15.5M, not $17.2M in his first year.
    $17.2M would be what he would qualify for if the cap were to go up by a little over $3M next year, which is highly unlikely.

You probably just looked at the wrong column.

9. Carl Herrera

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Williams current salary: $16,359,805.

$16,359,805 X 1.05 = $17,177,795.25

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/nets.jsp

Am I missing something?

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Thanks, I didn't know about this rule.

I guess in that case the Mavs would have to dump someone to offer Williams the max.
    You probably could get a some kind of future pick for Roddy Beaubois I imagine.

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

I guess this means they would have to waive or use the stretch provision on Dirk or Dwight will take less money.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They want to trade Odom out...but what team with an ~$8M TE/cap space would take him without some kind of draft pick as a sweetner? A high cap team might want him in order to cut him and shave salary or to keep him (Miami..on both counts)...but that kind of team would have to send equal salary back.

Dallas could also work out a S&T with the Nets to clear the last bit of cap space....but who would the Nets even want?

13. what

what Member

The luxury tax is 70 million. As long as Cuban stays under that, he'll be fine.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cuban is fine... it took him awhile but now he knows what he's doing. He'll figure out a way to do what must be done if it comes to it.

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Because we own Dallas's (protected) 1st round pick, is there a limit on the Mavericks trading away draft picks? Any way we can stick it to them, like we did with the Knicks?

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The tax threshold is irrelevant to Dallas's ability to add big time free agents. The maximum salary cap ($58.044 million next season, most likely) is the key figure. The Mavs cannot exceed that figure to add anyone without using a cap exception, and even that wouldn't be more than $5 million.

Yep. The Rockets have got the Mavs all tied up on their ability to offer (palatable) first round picks. Essentially, no one is going to value very highly whatever Dallas first round picks they can actually offer.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

And here's their current attempt to do so:
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...gaged-dallas-mavericks-trade-talks-lamar-odom

Odom to Clippers
    Mo Williams (with sweetner?) to 3rd team with cap space
    TE to Mavs

Paging the Raptors....

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I am willing to bet Dwill would take a mil cut to play in Dallas. It helps Dallas a lot that he WANTS to play for his hometown. No other team can offer that.

My question is, if we trade for Howard, do we own his bird rights? Can we do a sign and trade to ensure that Howard gets the max?

19. Carl Herrera

Doubt Deron takes a further $6.66 million pay cut to play in Dallas (which is the 4-year sum of what it would mean to take a $1.56 million pay cut in year one) after already taking a $25 million pay cut (by taking one less year and with lower % increase) that is required to sign with any team other than the Nets.

20. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

Correct me if I am wrong but with Deron opting out and going to free agency does it hurt our chances for 2 mega stars? I don't think there is a way for us to sign or sign and trade for both Dwight and Deron.

I am not a BimaThug capologist but it seems to me that we don't have enough assets to do a sign and trade for both players.

I could see us with a sign and trade for Dwight but I don't see Deron signing with us for less than a max deal and I don't see enough assets afet Dwight S&T left for a Deron S&T.

Anyone know a way this could work? Also did I hear right that Josh Smith opted out also?

a lineup of ...

williams/dragic/llul/fortson
    lee/dragic
    parsons/morris
    smith/monte/leuer
    howard/camby

makes me salivate!!!!!

that starting lineup could be the best two way lineup in the league,
    just don't think these players salaries would fit under the cap unfortunately.