1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Americans Support President Biden ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

agree on the money/expenditure point, particularly as regards the green new deal and climate change. but the problem(s) go deeper than simple spending.

to take but one example, I don't think the federal government has any authority to institute universal pre-school. It can I suppose create financial incentives for the states to institute such policies, but there is no constitutional authority that I know of that would allow the federal government to impose such a policy.

this to me is the "Bernie-like" overreach that critics are noting

B-Bob likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

@Os Trigonum

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait wut?

So what's the difference between universal K -12 and this?

What does the constitution have to do with anything it's pretty much opening up Head Start for everybody.

I think you got got your talking point mixed up.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Biden is saying to institute universal pre-school but give universal access. Per the BBC article B-bob posted:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53575474
    "
    Universal pre-school, expand free college
    In a notable shift to the left, he has endorsed several big pieces of education policy that have become popular within the party - student loan debt forgiveness, expansion of tuition-free colleges, and universal preschool access. These would be paid using money gained back from withdrawing the Trump-era tax cuts."

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Calling universal PK access overreach is ridiculous. As a teacher I see the importance and difference it makes with educating our youth at that age. The research and studies support this.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

good point, and one that reinforces what I was saying about creating state incentives, but that article's section is only five lines. hard to tell from that what the details are. And the philosophical objections to the federal role will likely remain anyway

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

'FEDERAL" overreach. reading is hard

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doing the smart thing seems hard for many. I don't call it federal overreach. I call it a smart move.

astros123 likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I've looked and it's true -- can't find the pre-K stuff (at least not easily) in his campaign stuff.

Research on pre-K child development really does suggest we're losing half the battle to a well-educated population right there, but that seems like something more about our culture than anything the government could fix (to me).

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

hey, as a parent of two daughters who struggled through day care and all of it, I'd love to see fully subsidized pre-school. But again, I just don't see how that's a federal responsibility, nor do I see how we grant the federal government the authority to involve itself in what is essentially a state and local matter. Unless that is we start encouraging the interstate commerce in small children. Then the feds can take over. Perhaps we require folks living on state borders to enroll their kids in pre-school in the adjoining state. Then we would all reap the benefits of sucking at the federal teat, so to speak. ;)

B-Bob likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So do this people have issues with the federal role in K -12?

Do they have an issue with the Federal role in Head Start?

What exactly is hard to tell do you think he is gonna penalize anybody that does not want pre K?

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is it an overreach?

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Federal government has long provided funding for all sorts of things that are administered by the states. The involvement they have is that the states are free to take the money or not. For example the 21 year old drinking age is tied to Federal highway funding so that states that didn't want that drinking age could still have a different age but in turn wouldn't get federal highway funding.

My guess is that this will work the same way. The Federal government could tell the states that if you provide universal access to pre-K we will help to fund it.

DaDakota and Andre0087 like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

exactly. and I've already said this:

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude the federal gov involves itself in a state matter with all of education.

What are you talking about?
    What does that have to do with this?

Are you advocating that the federal gov should have no role in education at all?

How is advocating for universal pre K an overreach

Use your words.

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

state and local leaders dont get to deficit spend so your theory is r****ded. Its the federal governments job to establish subsidized pre k and childcare. Im so tired of hearing this bullshit that we cant help the middle class and working class. The federal reserve said yesterday they are keeping their 300b a month QE program active. Show me on conservative senator or leader thats throwing his hands up about the hundreads of billions our fed is pumping to keep the market liquidated and pumping? Its time that we start focusing on the American people versus big corporations and the rich. I know many friends who own jewelry stores and there saying business is insane in the past week because rich people want assets the government cant touch easily.

its really surprising seeing biden propose these big programs but he has that old grandpa mojo that people dont think hes too liberal. The recent poll shows only 1 out of 3 people think biden is too liberal even though hes proposing the biggest spending plans in our history. He has alot going for him that sanders and other leaders could never dream of.

Crazy time we live in

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

"Almost every American found something to be pleased about and something to complain about in this motley collection of bills, but it was clear to all that FDR was taking the “direct, vigorous” action that he’d promised in his inaugural address."

Stay the course, President Biden...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like people are pretty happy with the Biden they voted for-

63 percent approve of COVID-19 relief bill: poll
    Gallup found that 97 percent of Democrats support the American Rescue Plan, up from the 79 percent that supported the CARES Act.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/news/545075-63-percent-approve-of-covid-19-relief-bill-poll

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol