1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Americans Support President Biden ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Mar 5, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's been an adjustment period not waking up turning on the morning news and seeing what the President rage tweeted at 4AM.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My own view is that at the moment Biden support is broad but it is shallow. Biden is benefitting quite a bit from not being Trump. He is Boring Joe and I think a majority of the population likes that. Most of the population also recognizes that the COVID-19 crisis isn't just going away and that stock prices and jobs reports aren't fully addressing the economic pain that many experience. Biden pushing COVID-19 relief is not only popular but is what Americans expect him to do. Some of the other stuff as having a nominee with unfriendly tweets or even bombing Syria aren't gaining much traction and likely having little impact on most of the populace.

I think things could turn if we see things like protests during the CHauvin trial end up becoming riots like this past Summer. Also if the COVID-19 relief doesn't do as well as predicated and we don't see a rapid return to pre-COVID economy this Summer.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Rocky start but he can turn it around.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Most president starts off good (they just won!). Even Trump has a small good blip at the start. Since 1/27, unlike what @Astrodome said, his approval has essentially been unchanged at ~55%. Pretty good by itself and especially given that he stole the election according to 2/3 of Republicans. It probably will dip soon.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not a huge Biden fan. I think he's boring as milk toast. But like others have referenced, I think "boring" is exactly what this country needs after 4 years of that imbecile Trump and the constant chaos that came with him.

I'm not gonna lie though..... I do kind of miss Trump's press conferences. If nothing else, just for the unintentional comedy...

Also. SNL has really gone down since Trump left office. The last 3 episodes have been as bad as they've been in a long time.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I disagree. If the Democratic Party comes up with a good candidate to run against Abbott, Abbott will lose. In my opinion. I can’t speak to the other states, but Abbott has been an unmitigated disaster for Texas. Every major city in this state is Democratic and the suburbs surrounding them are trending that way. Yes, there will be likely be unprecedented voter suppression here, but that will take Abbott only so far. Not far enough to win against a reasonably good opponent.

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I wish that were true. But despite population changes and a slight "purpling" of national voting, the state's own government is still solid red and gerrymandering has and will continue to protect if not grow that. I can't think of a single statewide candidate that might win a statewide race... even Hidalgo (and to me, she is the state's best hope).

TWS1986 and ElPigto like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Gerrymandering won't affect a statewide race.

I agree though if the TX Democrats can't come up with candidate that could win after the disaster of the Abbot governorship TX Democrats are practically moribund.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hmm, I thought Alec Baldwin was horrible as Trump. Other than that the Weekend Update would be the most affected. Also don’t like how they would use women to play other Trump characters like Giuliani, Graham, etc.

I thought this was funny:

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Give the man a break. Have you ever tried to tweet with a flip phone?

Tomstro, jiggyfly, Andre0087 and 3 others like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We have some different tastes in comedy. I thought Alec Baldwin was great as Trump. I thought Kate McKinnon was great as Giuliani and Jeff Sessions. Her Lindsey Graham was Ok and they used her a couple of times as Fauci and even Robert Mueller that I though was pretty bad. I don’t think Aidy Bryant worked very well as Cruz.

I don’t know if SNL had women doing those impressions was for “woke” purposes, that might’ve been a reason but I think in general Kate McKinnon is a good at impressions. Aidy Bryant isn’t as good and I think the main reason they wanted her to do Cruz was she is heavy.

TheFreak likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually, gerrymandering can impact local elections (at least indirectly... voters less willing to vote if their votes impact is lessened). But other republican efforts to protect their majorities also include changing/limiting voting locations, changing voter requirements (voter IDs) also make it difficult for Democrats to win statewide positions.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree gerrymandering is a problem, changing voter requirements are a problem but that is a different problem than gerrymandering. Still if the Democrats can't come up with a decent candidate to take on Abbott they have even more problems in addition to gerrymandering and voter suppression.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't care, best part about him is not having to follow every god damn detail; like Supreme Court justices before Bush v. Gore. His "what the ****" look at the camera during the first debate was all I needed to know. Trump's nomination and election was such a confounding betrayal and not only will the 63 million assholes never explain it, we'll be dealing with all their resentment and bullshit for another 25 years or as long as Facebook's around.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Don't have to worry about Biden slacking off work at the golf course, or a 3am rambling Tweet storm.

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The man is the definition of a "con" and about himself that is easily as noticeable as a villain on a kid's television show in every public outlet. It goes to show that the only thing he offered was a reassurance of hate catered to his base. That's what they wanted to hold on to.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Beto is almost certainly the Dem candidate. And I'd point out he lost to even-less-popular Cruz in one of the most massive blue wave years in history - it was close, but he still lost. And then Dems took a big step backward in 2020 with an ideal Presidential candidate to compete in Texas and less-than-popular opponent. I feel like Texas is the white whale for Dems. They keep chasing it and always think "this is the year", but never quite figure out how to get there. We don't know what 2022's electorate will look like, but it's not likely to be a blue wave. It'll be either neutral or lean red.

If Abbott loses, it would be in a primary - and probably to someone like a Dan Patrick.

Buck Turgidson, ElPigto and adoo like this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wish someone could pry Bill White away from that sweet advisory role he's in now and convince him to run for Governor of Texas. Probably the only Dem that would stand a chance of beating anyone with an R beside their name.