1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO's agent "Rockets not doing enough to re sign him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Sep 14, 2016.

1. BackdoorHarden

JR Smith is still a free agent also

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm talking about how ppl say RFA contract offer operate under free market economy principles. Not as much as UFAs.

So, in those terms, what you just said simply means the health issue drives his price down. It's a hindrance to DMo getting what he thinks he's worth.

So, I agree that health is a hindrance to DMo getting what he thinks his market worth is, but I don't see how you can't agree that RFAs constraints hinder discovery of actual market vs UFA markets. Every year we have RFAs who can't sign until the end who aren't injured. DMo is the same as Landry and Bledsoe and others before him.

3. alethios

alethios Member

I'm sure the rescinded trade to Detroit didn't help his marketability. If we hadn't tried to trade him in the first place, he might not be perceived as too risky amongst teams looking for his height and skillset.

4. heypartner

Again, yes, the failed trade drives his price down. You don't have to quote my posts to say that. I was talking about how RFA markets operate a little different than UFA markets when it comes to teams extending their offers. This is true for Landry, for Bledsoe and for DMo. They all have a price...but for reasons peculiar to RFAs, no one gave any of them offers until September, when the QO deadline is near.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I can't go with that logic because other RFA's did get offers. Players that teams really wanted were pursued. I could see your point if teams weren't putting contracts in front of others.

As far as Bledsoe goes, he wasn't pursued because Phoenix said they would match anything. I agree the market isn't exactly the same but if teams really want players they will "shoot their shot".

6. alethios

alethios Member

I went back and read some of your other posts and I do see what you're saying in that the RFA market is a on a bubble with potential for over-valuation, but it's also constrained because it causes buyers to balk. Not to mention the typical speed with which UFAs get contracts as opposed to RFAs.

Did I nail it? :grin:

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Now that the signing frenzy is over lots of teams are having buyers remorse and are thus being way more stingy with the money they have left, unfortunately this has severely affected anyone who isn't signed yet and I doubt any FA left is going to be able to close a good deal.

Just like how JR Smith's "cancer" status has destroyed his stock, I think Dmo's injury and especially Detroit backing out of the trade has also demolished his value on the market, teams hate paying for injured players and considering Dmo hasn't exactly stuffed the stat sheet I guess they'd rather pay for someone who is assured of being healthy.

Which I guess works really well for the Rockets, it seems their offer is the only one on the table and DMo's agents can't drum up anything better lol. I guess DMo can get the QO but from their comments it seems that would just be a desperation move, my guess is even Dmo and his agents think his back is whack and they also want long term security.

If it all works out I can see DMo signing a 5-10M PER which is crazy considering his current skillset, the P-word, and the crazy summer where no-names have been getting the max contracts.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Close! RFA is actually best looked at as a supply-side subsidy, if you consider the league as its own economy.

A real life economic problem that's similar is rent control. Essentially, rent control causes slower investment, which in turn elevates the valuations of the property, when compared to its actual value. All because profits are basically limited, whereas other vehicles for real estate investment are not.

9. heypartner

The simpler example, imo, is when companies put out mandatory large RFP renewal bids for products/services and many legitimate competitors of incumbent vendor choose not to submit bids because they don't consider it a fair opportunity worth spending a lot of sales energy on ... So they pass without making an offer.

The result is we don't really know what the competitive bid is.

10. alethios

alethios Member

Tell me about it. We're going through one of those right now.

11. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I'd rather keep josh smith than Dmo. Jbb did a terrible job rotating him in, but then again jbb might be the worst coach I've ever seen in a nba/college/high school/Ymca type league

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, honestly I'd rather keep Smith too (and that's not saying much), at least he helped get the Rockets to the WCF, where was DMo??? Oh right.... broken. The only thing DMo did was break Curry with his sweat.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith is done as an NBA player has been for over a year....at least DMo there is hope.

DD

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Where was Smith last season? Oh yeah sucking on the bench and DNP'd the last month.

15. heypartner

Smith was benched by Rivers, too. When we got him, he helped us bench Jones, until we got Beasley and DMo came back.

If he wants to stay for some injuring insurance, fine. But he had a terrible season on two NBA teams last year.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Josh Smith ship has sailed. Besides, who would you cut in order to keep Smith? The team already has Anderson, Capela, Nene, Beasley, Harrell, Onuaku and Wiltjer at the big spots, with Ariza also likely to see some minutes as a small ball PF next season and D-Mo's situation yet to be resolved.

17. mockster

mockster Member

It's ashame Josh smith has declined but much like dwight he's a guy that relied on his athlectism.

Also JR Smith, he's going back to cavs just like the tristin Thompson thing

18. heypartner

Agree. There's no room for Smith. He got opportunities from two teams/two different coaches last year and laid an egg on his career.

Wrote my above post to be nice to him. But after DM drafts another big and signs Anderson and the return of Dekker possibly allowing Ariza to get more PF time in a D'Antoni offense ... and DMo likely resigning ... like you say, that boat has sailed.

Don't you just love the way you can blame everything on JBB and say every NBA player will do well in D'Antoni's offense, though?

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. Forgot to mention Dekker. To the extent he gets playing time this season, it'll probably be as a small ball PF.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, that's why I said (that's not saying much), both DMo and Smith are garbage. If we're just going to go off of an "okay" small stretch of games from DMo and think he's the player that's going to be the difference for the Rockets... And then act like Smith didn't help in Clipper series that's stupid. I also think Smith relied too much on his (now declining) athletic abilities (and agree w/ everyone on that) and DMo got dealt with a bad back, and also as mentioned the Rockets don't need Smith due to other signings and there's no reason for the Rockets to play into more than QO for DMo, because unlike BJ Armstrong's career, DMo hasn't done much.

He probably still can't pass a physical, because if he could he would have been signed for more. Maybe if his injury recovery goes well he can do more but I wouldn't count on it and I still am not sure about Anderson/Gordon injury history.. Yay, Crutch City!!