1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO should post up more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Dec 9, 2014.

1. jaychi

jaychi Member

When the season started, I thought Dmo would just be another case of a player who peaked quickly. I thought we won't get much from him. I think he proved everyone wrong. He may not have improved or progressed if Howard or Jones did not get injured. I do see a special talent in him that is rare. I also see a problem that may happen down the road.

Just watching the last Minnesota game, Dmo sets a lot of picks. It is good but it takes away the post up opportunities that he should be doing. it takes out a lot especially for a big man to set picks all the time. I understand that it should be one of his functions as a big man but it does not have to be 90% of the time. Yes he does get fronted but I think his teammates should pass the ball better the same way when Howard is fronted.

The problem I see down the road is when Howard gets back. He'll have less opportunities. He will probably resort again to being a stretch 4 which will delay his progress. I think he should be better as a substitute to Howard so he can be the post up center. I assume when Howard and Dmo are together, Dmo won't be given the chance to post up because the coaching staff prefer Howard to post up. I am sensing a "Omer Asik" type of problem if Dmo becomes unhappy with the touches or playing time. Hope we won't lose him because of this because clearly Dmo is better than Howard in posting up.

We should not let Dmo go or use as a trade chip because I think he is special. Name a post up player in the history of the NBA that is good with either hand. I think it is big advantage. Even Olajuwon is not that good with his left hand. You can say Kareem has a good left hook shot but it is not that consistent. I am not saying he is better than Kareem or Hakeem but the consistency in using either hand is remarkable. Morey envisioned him as a potential to be a Dirk type of player. I think he won't be like Dirk but I see him as a very good post up player.

I hope we give him more plays. I understand if Harden or Howard gets most of the shots but we will waste his talents if the coaching staff just want him to set more picks and shoot 3's when Howard comes back. We don't want to lose another player to free agency or through trade. I am ok with trading of Jones because his game is replaceable and very similar to most PF in the NBA except of his ball handling skills. There are getting few post up players in the NBA. I don't have the stats but I believe his efficiency in FG percentage is better than Harden and Howard not because he is shooting less than them but his FG attempts are better and in a higher percentage.

2. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Howard will get the post and Dmo will play stretch with both on the floor.

3. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Latest form Zach Lowe on Grantland:

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Dmo is the real deal

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I love the D-Mo post up-

The problem is the entry pass

Say D-Mo shoots the post-up at 100% rate-- it seems we cause a turnover 50% of the time do to a poor entry pass

that or we waste 20 seconds of the clock and jack up an awful value shot before the shotclock goes off

so that 100% fg rate is now 50%

What I'm saying is our entry pass included is going to D-MO as efficient as his post up numbers lead you to belive

on a side-note its ****ing pitiful that we cant get him the ball consistanty

6. jaychi

jaychi Member

Yes but the intention to give him the ball is also few. He does more picks than trying to post up. He'll even gets less post ups when Howard comes back and to think Dmo is better than him in posting up. I think we should value his talents or else he might leave and lose another good player.

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

It seems like D-Mo works with McHale on post moves sometimes.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

MOAAAAR POST UPS!!!!

I hope he doesn't go back out the 3pt line when Howard is back, and that we use him offensively in the post.

9. dragician

dragician Member

couldn't agree more. I think he moves almost like Olajuwon.. I don't think Howard is close, he sucks basically, and worse he won't pass.

10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Check out Red Nation episode 2. He talks about how he emulated Luis Scola's game since he was 7. Then he worked out with Hakeem in the summer. And of course McHale coaches him. It shows in his moves.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It is very clear that Dmo watches him some hakeem footage and is smart/fast/tall enough to incorporate it into his game. I think a lot of NBA players don't have the IQ to perform at that level in a game. Dwight so far has improved, but overall not shown the versatility and fluidity needed to perform those moves.

12. omgTHEpotential

I believe there's also some level of finesse mentality needed to perform those moves. When you're a brute force / power player like Howard you often look to just dunk on people. A guy like DMo knows he can't dunk over people, so he is forced to look for more creative ways to score and in turn he is getting better at it.

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Okay I'm putting the flame suit on for this but this question should at least be asked and considered. (Disclaimer, I in no way think Dmo is in the same tier as D12, Dwight is a game changer and impact both ends of the floor and I love him as a Rocket)

That said, if we have a guy like Dmo who
    1) is young and can continue to develop on both ends (D12's window is now and closing after 3 years)
    2) can be locked up on a much cheaper contract relative to Dwight monster contract (which will expire the same time the cap adjusts i assume)
    3) can play both 4 & 5 positions and has more versatility

If Dmo can develop more defensively (in the mold of say Asik) is it worth considering trading Dwight if say it could net us a top tier player should one shake lose (LMA, KD, etc).

Of course the likelihood of such thing happening is minuscule but if a tier 1 player became available that plays SF or PF, would you consider doing it? Would it be poor form to trade a guy who came in of his own volition in FA?

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Too much if.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dwight just flat out sucks at posting up. Of course, DMo is better. Dwight has absolutely no shooting touch. If it's not a dunk, it's a safe bet that it won't go in. He had one amazing playoff series last year, and then he has shown nothing in the post besides.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lmao, I like DMo but c'mon. 10 good games and people are ready to trade Howard.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Isnt that a good thing?

18. conquistador#11

not only post up but low post, down post, east post and most importantly high post. oh man in the high post his passing would open up so much. think lithuanian yao under the fuhrer but lesser.

19. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

His footwork is great. Its hard to find 7 footers that move that well.

20. cruwinas_lawona

Howard will get the post and DMo will get the bench.