1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO connundrum - my authentic article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amazingskills, Dec 31, 2014.

1. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

DMO connundrum

Contradictory facts about DMO reconciled

For the end of this wonderful year of rockets basketball I want to make contribution to clutchfans with writing this article. As the saying goes ‘the painter must paint and the writer must write in order to attain the peace of mind’. However, an old sage said that the very term peace of mind is self-contradicting since mind activity is contradictory to having peace and that peace is attained by going to no-mind state. Be it as it may, it seems to me that enter this no-mind state when I write, that wonderful flow state, and I feel good when I write so I am going to spit some of my last thoughts in this year in order for you to deepen your insight in the state of rockets basketball.

Many people are puzzled over what what's happening with DMO and his usage with rockets. Many of the rockets and non rockets fans spotted a great postup play by DMO (amongst his improved defence and other things this season). However given the fact that since Dwight Howard come back DMO didn't get many touches in the post those of us who still recognized that rockets have something special in DMO were met by suspicion and labeled DMO fanboys or homers for thinking that DMO post play is at an elite level.

However all of us were justified in a way by Daryl Morey saying publicly yesterday that DMO is rockets best option after Harden on offense. However this puzzled some fans even more because they find this pronouncement by DM as irreconcilable with the actual fact that rockets rarely give DMO any touches in the post since Dwight Howard come back from his back injury.
    So what gives? Was Daryl Morey sincere in his statement that DMO is the best rockets offensive weapon after Harden?

How do we reconcile the fact that DMO hasn't been used on offense lately, while rockets were struggling to score and losing games, despite the fact that he has an elite post game and is rockets second best option?

I had a lot of thought on this topic over these last couple of games so I decided to put them all at one place.

1. I don’t claim they are all true or correct and

2. I don’t even claim that any one of them is correct

they just offer a more plausible explanation for what is happening other than naive and utterly trite explanations such as McHale coaching sucks or Beverly/Ariza not seeing DMO or don’t know that giving a ball to DMO is an efficient play. They are just food for thoughts because a lot of stuff is going behind the curtains of which we don’t know nothing about and we can only guess. So let us not run to premature conclusions.

I find it very shallow of the fans to make derogatory comments or to deduce conclusion that coach sucks at coaching just because the coach didn’t give minutes to this player and instead he gave minutes to that player. For all we know there may be a potential trade upcoming and the coach is showcasing a player thus it has nothing to do with his coaching ability.

So after witnessing DMO excelling in replacing Dwight and especially excelling posting up in clutch situations winning us a couple of games and still don't getting touches the only way to reconcile these 2 seemingly contradictory facts is by believing that there are clans among rockets players with a lot of power struggles going on or rockets/coaches/management have other priorities, priorities we don't know nothing about, perhaps these:

1. Rockets are either hiding DMO (from trade suitors in upcoming trade-making him look less talented than he really is in order for other teams not to ask for him in trades) or hiding DMO as a secret weapon for playoffs ( yes if we go time and again to DMO this early in the season NBA scouting will get its job done and DMO may stop being this efficient when we will need him the most, so why not get other players going in the meantime and save DMO for playoffs)

2. Rockets are preventing his development and media exposure in order to extend him for much less than he is worth...If he establish himself as elite post player he’s due for max dollars (See Leonard case with spurs who asked for max money after just a couple of great games).

This may seem unacceptable to some, and it may seem devilish to these naive people for management to apply this tactic, but remember this is business, and Les, morey and all others are in this for money. Its is well established fact that haggling, negotiating and power struggles are a great part of every business. If you were owner and you had an elite player whose greatness is still not known to medi and public, wanting to extend him for half the dollars hes worth, how would you make him do it? Would you make your appeal in writing hoping he would kindly accept your offer or you would show him his place and tried any peaceful tactic possible to accept a more reasonable deal? Would you let him show his talent to other teams so that they may lure him away from you or to be forced to match high low-balling offers such as Cuban gave to Parsons.

3. Rockets are afraid of Dwight leaving after next year if DMO is allowed to shine and to become the main post player of the rockets...Dwight might opt out of his contract next year if hes not 1st option in the post. Dwight is publicly known as Diva. How do you think Dwight would take his sudden relegation to 3rd option when he came to Houston to be a leader. Media would be all over him.

4 . DMO didnt learned to be assertive yet and become one of the alphas of the group...or perhaps he is cunning about it and is advancing in a slow, clever and unobtrusive manner perhaps waiting for another injuries ridden period. Perhaps he is advised the same by management and they are gonna make him the 1st option slowly not to offend dwight and keep both DMO and Dwight.

5. Rockets are tanking to avoid Spurs or OKC in the 1st round
    6. Rockets priority is to get other players going before playoffs
    7. Rockets priority is to showcase others for a trade
    8. Rockets priority is to integrate newcomers thus they are experimenting and trying different things which are not as efficient as DMO postups

1 person likes this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Your 8th point is the most likely.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Didn't KlutchQT just call you out last night for posting this over and over? All you did was add stuff to that.

1 person likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

9. Rockets are showcasing Harden and Howard to trade them and rebuild around DMo. :) Now that you put these all in one place, I understand and I can't wait to see DMo become the next face of the franchise. Hopefully we don't get good return on H&H so that DMo will be the greatest player next to Dream that has played in a Rockets uniform.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The fact is that we now have a deep roster. Whatever is going on behind the scenes should not trump the fact that depth enables you to bench cold players and play the hot hand. If Smith/Howard are struggling, DMo should be getting minutes.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

I asked that same question. It's a shame because some of those points could be worth discussing and debating. But at this point the horse is dead and thoroughly beaten.

In another thread I posted another possible explanation:

- There is an unknown reason. Something happening to which the fans and general masses aren't privy to. Inconsistent practice(s), late for meetings, doesn't know offensive sets well enough, out of position on the glass, etc. The kind of stuff that isn't talked about by the organization and is impossible to determine from watching as a fan.

How many times do we debate these wild theories for months on end only to find out much (sometimes years) later, that it was something more simple that was the root cause of an oddity.

Occam's Razor my friends.

1 person likes this.
  7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

I Agree...very reasonable...btw these are not wild theories...if you believe they are wild you are naive very naive...Dou you think spurs are glad Leonard is asking for Max? and they will be glad to give it to him?...wouldnt they want to find a way to sign him for less?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Define elite. You really think he's on the level of Boogie or Pau?

Our first option is still Harden.

9. Mr. Clutch

They are wild. DMo is nothing like Kawhi. Everyone already knows Kawhi is worth the max.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

According to Amazingskills he's better than Anthony Davis.

11. Mr. Clutch

Lol .

1 person likes this.
  12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. craguin

craguin Member

^LMAO

1 person likes this.
  14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Interesting theories here.

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

I was speaking retrospectively. Over the years we've all read some crazy theories that attempt to explain behavior, success (or lack thereof) etc. And not just in sports. After the fact, most often it's the simplest explanation that is the answer, even if we had no way of knowing it at the time.

2 people like this.
  16. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Not going to be on the flaming bandwagon here. You clearly believe something more is going on behind the scenes, and wrote a nice piece to support your ideas. All in all, it always goes back to "we'll see."

Again, very appreciative of the contribution. It's a breath of fresh air to see these types of thought driven posts as opposed to the "Milkhair Sucks" posts and the other thoughtless drivel that is thrown around here. More power to you for putting yourself out there knowing you will be #plowed through by many users on this board.

1 person likes this.
  17. TheJet

TheJet Member

I was in your shoes the first time I read the theories. Counting this post it was the fifth time I had read them in two days. I suppose that says as much about me as it does the OP though :eek: :grin:

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Okay, Amazingskills, since you're not going the Occam's Razor (simplest explanation etc.) route. And I assume you're not trolling us... Then let me let you in on a secret. SAS aren't worried about losing Leonard due to owning his rights through RFA, and the fact that this whole TV deal might mean there's a lot more flexibility to sign him later. SAS might also be going through changes since Duncan will be retiring (soonish) they don't need to rush on this. It's not like the Parsons situation where they would be signing a role player to top dollar and be stuck, Leonard is in a different ballpark compared to his skills.

Back to DMo, since you didn't like my point 9 above (sorry just having fun), there's no reason to hide him since they have him signed through next season and even in 2017 have his RFA. If there's fear he will bolt or they won't sign him then they can trade him for value. Again though, if this TV deal is as big as LeBron thinks it will be there's no reason to hide him. Also I don't know if you watch non-Rocket teams (see AD joke above, sorry again), but I have never seen a team deliberately hold a player back, please show us an example. I have watched a lot of basketball and still can't see where this came from.

Lastly, since this isn't a contract year wouldn't it make sense to drop his value next year? That way the Rockets could keep him at minimum. I'm also sure DMo would be happy to sign with a team that is purposely holding his value back, sorry in advance for this, but you make it sound as if DMo is a video game player and can't think on his own.

1 person likes this.
  19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

DoMo's back to the basket game is better than The Brow for sure.

Everything else The Brow is better.

20. omgTHEpotential

Not quite everything.

- Post-game
    - Positional defense
    - Opp FG%
    - Passing

1 person likes this.