1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DJ StevO video breakdown of Udoka schemes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApacheWarrior, May 19, 2023.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Here is nice breakdown of how and what Udoka may bring to us.

Try to envision Jalen Green, KPj, Sengun, Jabari, Garuba, free agent(s) and a draft pick you like
    is his system and schemes.

Place your comments below and discuss. Hope this helps in understanding of what to expect.

BigMaloe, ico4498, burlesk and 5 others like this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Ball movement and Defense.

Can't wait!

3. vince

vince Member

Udoka is going to be bringing intensity and schematic acumen to the play book.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Motion offense, can't wait!

(ICYMI, udoka coaching vs stevens coaching)

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is not exactly true on the offensive side. Udoka's team was 14th in assists (mid table). They were one of the more iso oriented teams at 6th place in iso frequency (Houston Rockets for example actually had 1.3% fewer iso possessions that season). The Celtics had more assists and fewer iso possessions under Mazulla (this one I'm not sure, going by memory).

They had the second highest scoring duo but only finished 9th in offensive rating. He runs a motion offense much as Pop does, it's nothing mind blowing. It's not like a Warriors motion offense or anything. It's just good, solid movement with a lot of cutting. Like every coach he wanted his team to be elite at motion but it didn't happen often. What's great about this kind of offense is that it's really solid, rugged and reliable in regular season and playoffs.

He's a good enough offensive coach but Kerr destroyed him in the Finals tbh because he's his equal as a defensive coach too. That's totally fine and acceptable to me given he was a rookie HC going against a coach with all-time level Finals experience as player and coach. I'm happy to give Udoka another shot at that. However, Kerr beat him with a simple plan: if you're going with your double big line up that limits your shooting, I'm going to shoot you out of this gym with volume 3pt shooting and your bigs literally have fewer opportunities to matter. Celtics were not doing anything wrong in the Finals, their math was just off. On the court they were excellent defensively and were making their shots just fine.

My prediction is he will have learned from this and since we gave birth to this 3pt revolution I bet he'll learn a thing or two from the organization as well. I like it that way with the HC pushing for traditional motion and the organization bringing peak advanced stats to him. Such a great fit here.

EDIT: A Celtics fan tells me that we should take into consideration that the first half of the season they were still building chemistry and were impacted harder than most teams by COVID. The second half of the season they were far better with assists and relied less on iso. Then the playoffs roll around and naturally all teams play a little more iso in the postseason than regular season. Fair point.

#5 Mathloom, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
    saleem, Drift Monkey, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Really like that thank you

ApacheWarrior and Mathloom like this.
  7. kpdark

kpdark Member

Excited to see!

DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Saw your edit; I was posting Schroeder was a free agent pick up from Lakers in off season.
    They gave him the keys and started around 18-18. I believe Udoka made a change to Smart at PG near 9 games before the trade deadline when he was traded to the Rockets.

May have changed the dynamics at that point.
    I seem to remember they traded with us for Theis because Robert Williams got injured.

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

(ESPN Houston)
    'Ime udoka revealed his vision for how to maximize the strengths of rockets' young core'

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Everyone expected to screen for others. This is why I believe in
    big point guards and why Udoka does as well.

Marcus Smart is 6'3" but solid frame....Brogdan 6'5"

Not just for the assists; but rebounds, blocked shots, deflections, boxing out

larry cook, DaDakota and DeBeards like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know what's funnier, that the Granato guy is totally unaware we were tanking with Silas or that he still uses a yahoo email account.

ApacheWarrior and RasaqBoi like this.