1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DJ Mbenga says Rockets have expressed interest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

A fan sent this in to ClutchFans (thank you Kevin) saying that this Belgian paper (La gazette des sports) reported that the Rockets are/were interested in trading for Lakers backup DJ Mbenga.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/zaal/basketbal/NBA/091121_NBA_vrijdagnacht

However, in translating it, I don't see reference to "trade". He told me it is a Dutch version of an article in French, so I'm not 100% sure, but in the (very poor) online translation, Mbenga does seem to say the Rockets are interested. Translated text:

"After this season am I end contract", says Mbenga. "I want to show me thus, become the next week and months crucial in my career. This is the moment for a new start. Particular teams, as Houston, want to have me nú already."

Mbenga is from Belgium. Wouldn't be the first time the Rockets traded for a player from Belgium: They dealt James White to Denver for the draft rights to Axel Hervelle.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd want him just for the sole purpose of getting posterized by the opposition on a nightly basis

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Cook for Mbenga, straight up.

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Winner!

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL dude you get rep points for that one. I love that movie!

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hmmm......
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwyZD6HSXZU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwyZD6HSXZU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

-rocketblaze

8. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

tracy mcgrady for d.j

Now I would pay to see them

Drick fisher
    Kobe Bryant /Tracy mcgrady
    Ron Artest /Lamar Odom
    paul golsal
    Andrew Bynum

9. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

From draftexpress: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/D.J.-Mbenga-3473/

DJ Mbenga

"Overview:7-footer from the Republic of Congo with a superb physical profile. Incredibly long arms, chiseled frame and excellent athleticism. Started playing basketball very late, after receiving political asylum in Belgium. Was spotted by the Dallas Mavericks at the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso and eventually signed. Mostly a project player in his first few seasons in the NBA with Dallas, but began to see rotation minutes this year after signing with the Lakers as a free agent. Primarily known for his shot-blocking ability, Mbenga is largely a 3rd string center who can provide energy and athleticism off the bench in addition to six fouls. He’s a black belt in Judo and speaks five languages.

Offense: Not a skilled player by any stretch of the imagination. Will always be his team’s 5th option offensively. Can run the floor extremely well, set massive screens, and finish around the basket. Hands are solid, and incredible size, length and explosiveness gives him terrific extension around the basket. Will make an open 12-foot jumper from time to time—has expanded this part of his game considerably. Will blow the open layup occasionally, as his coordination/reflexes offensively are just average, but still seems to be progressing slowly but surely. Has no footwork or post-moves inside, and no left-hand, making him completely reliant on others to create offense for him. Understanding of the game is nothing to write home about, but he’s gotten much better.

Defense: Can make a huge impact, thanks to his outstanding physical tools alone. Size, strength and gigantic wingspan make him an imposing hurdle inside. Works hard and really competes on this end of the floor. Can play an enforcer type role on the floor, dishing out pain Has solid timing going after blocked shots, and finds a good deal of success as an intimidator. Recovery speed rotating from the weakside is tremendous. Not quite as good when forced to guard on the perimeter. Quick enough to hedge screens, but awareness of team defense leaves something to be desired. Was incredibly foul prone earlier on his career, has managed to cut down on his blind hacks and biting for pump-fakes, but still runs into problems here at times. All in all not a bad guy to bring off the bench. "

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

To have someone over 7 feet this season would be nice.

11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

atleat he goes for the block unlike chuck hayes trying get a charge everytime.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If you have a link to the original french article, I could attempt a real translation.

13. echu888

echu888 Member

I've noticed the Rockets organization high interest in international players (Pops from UK, Scola from Argentina, VSpan from Greece, Yao from China). I'm speculating, but I believe this comes directly from Les's view of basketball as a business. The inroads that the Rockets have made in China is huge. You can hear it in Scola's interview yesterday -- just about every player on the Rockets has a contract with a Chinese shoe company.

I believe these are the parameters that Les has provided to the front office, and the front office tries to work within that -- thus covering the business aspect, and the performance aspect.

That's my suspicion on why Rubio was (is still?) so highly sought after by Morey -- he matches the international player criteria, and probably has some strong indications of having a good shot at being a player that sticks.

Les wants to make the Rockets into the World's Favorite Basketball team... It's good for business. I think its good for the Rockets too.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would dance around all of LA if this happen...not that I love Mbenga but it would be justice that Cook is back on the lakers

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

bye bye dorsey

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You mean you don't own a Flemish-French dictionary? Quel horreur...

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Do it..rather have Frankenstein on the bench then Cook...

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Kobe started that.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Look on the bright side folks. at least we are picking from other teams not named Memphis..

20. worzel gummidge