1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dive to the bottom of the World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rage, Sep 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rage

rage Member

I wonder if anyone watched a special on the Science channel last night showing the Nereus diving to the bottom of Challenger deep last year or heard about this dive before?

Before they reached the deepest part of the ocean, they made some test dives to other depths and in one of the dives, they brought back some kind of worms.
    On board the mothership, a guy picked out the worm from a container to show the camera and the worm looked perfectly fine.

My question is whether that worm should explode when it is exposed to normal atmospheric pressure?
    Were they trying to bs the public?

http://science.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=48.15713.118891.0.0

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Challenger Deep is very fascinating. Actually, most deep sea stuff/shows are extremely fascinating. There's so much down there that we've yet to discover. It blows my mind how diverse the deep oceans really are.

As for the worms...not sure. I've seen other shows where the deep sea subs bring up fish, jellyfish, crabs, shrimp, etc...and no ill effects. Same thing with fishermen who trawl deep seas and bring up creatures that live at high pressure depths. There seems to be no ill effects on those creatures.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Didn't see it. Will DVR it. These sorts of things attract my attention... especially if it's about sea life. It's difficult to believe that the trench is almost the same distance from sea level as some airplanes fly in the sky.

Not the same thing, but closely related: I've been reading the story on National Geographic about the dives to the Bahamas Blue Holes... just haven't finished it... been reading it in the can only :p .

[​IMG]

FASCINATING stuff. :eek: I recommend it.

"Is anyone here a marine biologist?!?!? :confused: "

4. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I haven't seen it. Are there youtube or online replays of that I can watch?

I downloaded Planet Earth a few years ago by BBC and loved the part about the deep sea. It's interesting that what we know about it is probably only a really small fraction of what really exists down there.

Deep seas and outer space is the shizniyt. You guys know any good sites or documentaries I can download?

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: ^ Click the link Mr. rage posted, sir. Show times are listed in EST.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Apparently, James Cameron is supposed to be doing some shooting down there for the Avatar sequel...crazy!