1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Diva in the making: HS no one Shabazz Muhammad

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SPF35, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SPF35

SPF35 Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216648/Shabazz_Muhammad_Surprised_When_Coaches_Mispronounce_Name

I get correcting them and even being annoyed of people mispronouncing your name, but something about his tone and the way he is going about it makes him seem like the 2nd coming of lebron, just really egocentric, not humbeled, in the way they better correct it real quick and that he has power of all thees coaches. It is not surprising and like I said, I get his reasoning or annoyance, but the way hea ppraoches it views it and his tone is almost like intimidating the coaches. That if they mispronounce your name you are off the list that basketball itself and the system is secondary on who can praise and kiss his a%s the most

2. AFS

AFS Member

Hmm... I'm not reading it that way at all. He just doesn't like when people mispronounce his name. Not seeing any ego there.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah him wanting people to pronounce his name right makes him a diva.:rolleyes:

4. SPF35

SPF35 Member

As I said before, I said I understand him not liking that. I wrote that twice, I think it is natural to get annoyed.

I am reading into his tone and wording. That these head coaches and assistants that he is name dropping are all scared of him and better get that fixed 'real quick'. The fact that if they mess up more than once he will not goto their team. This is supposed to about hoops and a system for him and it seems it is more about being held up and treated like a boss and feared basically, it is mroe he is searching for a power above them. I read that he won't be very coachable. Like I said, I criticize what I read in his tone, mentality, and wording rather than just the name thing

5. 757

757 Member

I don't think wanting his name to be pronounced correctly is too much to ask for. I can see the logic behind his statement; if recruiters and coaches care enough about the individual then they should at least learn the correct pronunciation. It would be the equivalent of the head of a venture capitalist firm receiving a business plan written in crayons. It indicates that they aren't completely serious about their endeavors, even if they actually are. IMO, this isn't diva-ish at all. You also have to remember, these kids have grown up being the absolute best at what they do. They provide a service whose quality almost none can rival. It's understandable that these kids do get a bit egocentric. Even so, I still feel that this is not crossing that particular line.

6. WestendMassive

so how are you supposed to pronounce it then? The article only tells you how not to pronounce it...

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The title and premise of this thread are both ridiculous. He's not a "HS no one." He's the top ranked high school player in the nation. From everything I've heard and seen, he's a good kid as well. Take your hate somewhere else.

Edit: On top of everything else, you even butchered the spelling of his name, smh, lol.

#7 Kwame, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Shay-bazz?

10. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

WOW this Shabazz Kid is apparently the Consensus Number 1 Pick in the 2013 NBA Draft?

Check out Shabazz Muhammad's Profile(Get er Done Morey)

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/shabazz-muhammad

Shabazz Muhammad

NBA Comparison: Kobe Bryant/James Harden

Strengths: Left handed SG with elite level speed, athleticism and skills ... Great scorer who can fill it up in a variety of ways ... Very smart, intense individual who is highly motivated and driven to be great ... Mature offensive game, already has a strong NBA body, INCREDIBLE length (appears to have a wingspan in the neighborhood of 7-feet), is a man amongst boys, very athletic and explosive ... Quick first step and handle make him difficult to contain one on one ... Improving jumpshot and handle, wired to score the ball, can physically dominate his opponents, pull up jumper and ability to put the ball on the floor have improved considerably ... Box game is very advanced for his age ... Great on the offensive glass for a 2 guard ... Knows how to work the baseline and score, terrific in transition, hard worker ... Shows signs of having a killer instinct and will assertively get on his teammates when they're not living up to his expectations ... The most prolific scorer in the country ...

Weaknesses: Has improved his jumpshot but still needs some work to become more automatic ... Relies too much on his strength ... Needs to look to impact the game in other areas besides scoring ... Too left hand dominant, ball tends to stop when it gets in his hands ... Not a great creator for teammates ... Can lose focus sometimes if not involved enough offensively ... Handle needs to tighten up ... prone to offensive fouls, needs to continue to round out his overall game ...

Overall: Muhammad is a terrific long term prospect ... He can score the ball in his sleep and is just scratching the surface of his ability ... Once he improves the consistency on his jumpshot he will almost be impossible to defend, great work ethic and drive to succeed will take him a long way ... Is a one and done candidate if rules stay as they currently are and and will likely compete to be the top overall pick in 2013 ... Best 2-guard prospect and scorer at the high school level to come along in quite some time ...Ian Powers 6/23/11

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, you are overreacting. Nothing makes me think he's a diva.

This guy should do very well in college but he'll have to develop his mid-range game to excel in the NBA. Doesn't appear to be much of a playmaker.

His strength seems to be off the charts for an 18 year-old of his size. Goodness gracious.

I guess Wade would be a good point of comparison (not saying he'll end up that good).

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

What type of tone are you reading into? He said he lets it slide and politely corrects them but if they keep doing it then they're off his list. Nothing wrong at all about what he's saying.

13. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

14. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

I want this kid on the Rockets

Get er Done Morey

15. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

OP will be eating his words when this kid is a Houston Rocket in two years. :grin:

16. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Nah, I think lebron is probably the most impactful player in the league, he would make us better, and I would still have a hard time rooting for him if he was a rocket. I like the character guys, lebron, now dwight, and this type of deal is not something I like to root for. Now this kid is announcing his 'decision' April 11th, sure to be on TV...what a joke

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

C'mon dude, if Lebron was a Rocket you'd love it.