1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disturbance at Griffin house

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CiscoKid, Oct 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i agree, this way atleast he knows hes wanted(i dunno if thats true anymore), and still thought of as a good prospect

2. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I was there when Eddie started the fight in the cafeteria I saw everything. The guy he fought was the center for the team. he was in my chemistry class....Marcus something i gotta check my year book. Eddie got into lots of fights durin highschool.

3. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

i was thinking the same thing..and wonder if the rockets mantra this year of "no excuses" was taken to the extreme...to EG's detriment....

but we all have to own up to our own choices in life...with that said, i have a daughter of my own..i can't imagine the the pain of being separated from her..and if were 21...i dont doubt i would have done some pretty stupid stuff because of it...what a mess...i hope the best for eddie

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Off this weekend, here defending my position once again, hell I don't even know why I try.

West Palm next week....

Hope you're having a great weekend in spite of...
    :(

5. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

the messed up part was the center got expelled and eddie did not cause the entire faculaty was on his nuts. he was a pretty cool guy. o yea and eddie elbowed the principal who tried to break it up.

6. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

hey diddy got money. not this diddy, the other one:p ;)

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Jeff
    Interestingly the name of this lady is not the same one that was rumoured to be the mother of his child. Romero is not the same as the rumoured Jessica Jeminez.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Damn. It's amazing what you can miss when all you've been focusing on is college football Saturday. Just got done reading this thread, which includes the following highlights:

1. Stories from local news
    2. Jokes about Eddies shooting %
    3. Racial discussions between AB and RIET
    4. Codell's David Weekly home
    5. Elsik and Hastings close proximity to one another
    6. Eddie's house cost $266K
    7. Some guy from EG's high school, claiming he saw him fight.

9. Fegwu

Interestingly no one picked this up. Miss Romero's name struck me immediately I saw the report as different.

So please fellas this case has nothing to do with any child or children. What learnt from a fellow BBSer is that the name of Eddie's baby mama is Jessica Jeminez not Romero. Hope that throws a monkey wrench in this bizzare discourse.

One thing is fair here - to avoid confusing miss Romero as a money seeking gold digger. She is NOT the baby mama. So lets wait for the full report Monday or even as early as Sunday so that we can fully understand what is really going on.

One thing is clear - Eddie needs help and good people around him now 24/7.

10. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN POSTED BUT YOU GUYS (Jeff and Clutch) WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!:

Rockets player is accused of assault
    Woman alleges beating, gunshots

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2180148

By PEGGY O'HARE
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The blood on the driveway and shell casings in front of Houston Rockets forward Eddie Griffin's home early Saturday spelled further troubles for an already precarious career.

A well-profiled fight with a teammate at Seton Hall, a mar1juana possession arrest in April and indefinite suspension from the Rockets for conduct detrimental to the team have now been overshadowed by yet another incident -- a woman's claims that Griffin, 21, beat her and shot at her at his home in a gated community in southwest Houston.

Joann Romero, 21, who told police she was Griffin's girlfriend, was not hit by the gunfire, but was taken to Spring Branch Medical Center with what one officer described as "serious injuries" to her face. She told police she wants to prosecute, although Griffin had not been charged later Saturday.

Griffin's attorney Rusty Hardin talked to the player Saturday night and said Romero is not Griffin's girlfriend, but an acquaintance.

"She entered his house without his permission on other occasions, and she did the same thing this (Friday) night and the incident occurred," Hardin said. "I don't want to comment on the details of what she said, but let the police investigation speak for itself. As far as he's (Griffin) concerned, she broke into his house."

Hardin said Griffin was staying with family and friends in Houston on Saturday night and he did not believe Griffin had been in contact with police.

"He's obviously upset and concerned about it, but I just don't want us talking about it until police finish their investigation," he said.

Griffin, a 6-foot-9, 210-pounder who played at Seton Hall for one year, was the seventh overall selection in the 2001 NBA draft. The Rockets acquired rights to Griffin in a trade with the New Jersey Nets for three first-round draft choices. Although he was named to the NBA all-rookie second team in 2002, his talent has been marred by personality conflicts.

In 2001, Griffin was suspended for punching Seton Hall teammate Ty Shine in the locker room after they lost to Georgetown. It was not the first time such troubles had surfaced. In high school, Griffin was expelled for starting a fight in the school cafeteria, according to the ClutchCity.net, a fan Web site.

"Character may come into question after he sucker-punched Ty Shine and refused to apologize, the second off the court fight in as many years. Must prove that off the court temper problems are not going to be a continuing problem," states Griffin's profile on the NBAdraft.net Web site.

Griffin was a candidate for the Rockets' starting lineup this year, but troubles continued to haunt him in pre-season camp. He has been indefinitely suspended "for conduct detrimental to the team."

The suspension began after he skipped a trip to Sacramento, Calif. Griffin, the youngest player on the team, then missed a practice and a special workout Friday as part of the process for working his way back from the suspension.

Saturday's incident could further complicate the Rockets' decision about Griffin's future since the team has to decide by Friday whether to exercise the option on the fourth season of his contract. A decision not to extend the contract beyond its third season would diminish Griffin's trade value.

All Houston police have right now is Romero's side of the story. Her allegations -- that Griffin shot twice at her and beat her, causing her pain and to fear for her safety -- will be referred to the Houston Police Department's family violence unit for further investigation.

Police have not spoken with Griffin, HPD spokesman Alvin Wright said. Officers hope to obtain a statement from the athlete, he said.

"She says she will prosecute," Wright said, but added, "no one saw him do it. It's just going to be her word against his."

Romero, of the 9600 block of Maribelle, was treated and released from Spring Branch Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Kim Long said. A Houston police report states an officer noticed "serious injuries" to Romero's "facial area," Wright said.

Romero told police she left Griffin's home in the 3900 block of Shadow Trace Circle after the alleged assault and gunfire. She called police from another undisclosed location to report the incident, Wright said.

When police received Romero's call at 5:03 a.m. at HPD's Northwest Patrol station, officers went to Griffin's home, where a relative claimed not to have seen the assault and said he didn't know where Griffin was, Wright said. Police supervisors found the blood on the driveway and two shell casings outside, Wright said.

Police received another call at 5:28 a.m. from a man claiming to be Eddie Griffin, reporting someone had just broken into the athlete's home, Wright said. But officers did not find Griffin there when they arrived, he said.

Wendy Baker, an assistant district attorney serving as acting chief Saturday, said no charges have been presented to the Harris County District Attorney's office. She said a case number hasn't been assigned.

Rockets spokesman Dan McKenna said the team was aware of the situation but did not have a comment.

Brian McIntyre, NBA senior vice president for basketball communications, said, "We are aware of the incident and we are looking into it."

Griffin started 66 games for the Rockets last year, averaging 8.6 points and six rebounds a game.

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said this month he hoped time away would allow Griffin to "get himself together."

Griffin has an unresolved mar1juana possession charge stemming from an April arrest.

Reporters Robert Crowe, Jonathan Feigen and Todd Ackerman contributed to this report.

WoW!!!

11. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Who's blood is in the driveway? If it's the woman's, how did it get there if she was breaking *in* the house? This gets stranger and stranger.

12. SLA

SLA Member

WTF....really? When did Eddie punch someone in high school?

hmm..exposure...

Ahh it's too late. haha time change! Yay! We gained one hour..

Griffin lost one inch and 15 pounds this past week?

13. Fegwu

Peggy O'Hare please stand up :eek:

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man...Griffen! You suck. Why can't you get your **** straight?!

15. begis

begis Member

kill da t weed *****

16. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

from eddie griffin's standpoint, I'd think it'd be good to trade him - just so he can get away from all this crap. If he goes to another city he'll have more time to concentrate on ball and get away from these thugs.

He'll be able to start a new life..heck he might even be good one day.

17. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Damn... just damn...

I was one of the few people that still believed the dude could pull it together and even show us something this season.

Say it ain't so, Eddie... Say it ain't so. :(

18. fatman510

fatman510 Member

you like saying the n-word dont you?

19. NathanSkinner

NathanSkinner Member

I reckon if you have nothing good to say about Eddie Griffin don't say anything at all...

He is coming into his 3rd season.. a player with alot of potential who I think just needs a bit of confidence. He CAN shoot.. rebound and is a great shot blocker. You gotta remember he is starting his 3rd season as a NBA player.. it takes time.. Kwame Brown was the #1 pick that season and hasn't shown much more then Eddie has. Players like Jermaine O'neal took around 4/5 years to really stamp his authority on the league.

Give Eddie a chance as a player and a human being, his innocent until proven guilty. Lets support Eddie, not put him down further.

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

uprising is that really your attitude. i mean lets be men here, men who all have it coming to them one way or another, and lets not be rationale.. or logical.. or come up with the some great clever point... and lets...uh...let it be....let it be...oh let it be.....like john lennon...wasnt that john lennon.

hey Griff, if you're reading this. f()ck basketball. Just pull yourself out of this cause i know,,,i know...lve been up **** creek without a paddle for 9 straight years...but we cant fight fate but its how face the challenge of fate...thats what its all about.