1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Disturbance at Griffin house

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CiscoKid, Oct 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. droxford

droxford Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2179689

the chronicle's story has been updated with the following new info...

In the initial call to police, the woman who alleged Griffin had assaulted her said the basketball player had punched her, Wright said. He said the woman was treated at a hospital, but he did not have her name.

Wright said the case would be referred to the district attorney's family violence unit Monday and that the district attorney's office had not accepted any charges today.

Wendy Baker, an assistant district attorney who was the acting chief today, said no charges have been presented to the D.A.'s office yet. She said a case number hasn't even been assigned to the matter.

She said she had taken a few calls from police with legal questions, which she said is customary during investigations.

Today's reported incident was news to Griffin's lawyer.

"I know absolutely nothing, " Rusty Hardin said this morning. "I'm trying to find out where everybody is and what is happening. There's really nothing I can tell you." Rockets spokesman Dan McKenna said the team was aware of the situation but did not have an immediate comment.

Officers at the scene early today refused to comment.

Griffin's next-door neighbor, Seetha Raman, reported he did not hear any gunfire, but was awakened in the middle of the night by police officers in his driveway.

Griffin, a two-year veteran out of Seton Hall, was projected as a candidate for the Rockets' starting lineup this year, but has been a problem in pre-season camp. He has been indefinitely suspended "for conduct detrimental to the team."

The suspension began after he skipped a trip to Sacramento. Griffin, 21, the youngest player on the team, then missed a practice and a special workout Friday as part of the process for working his way back from the suspension.

This morning's incident could further complicate the Rockets' decision about Griffin's future since they have to decide by Friday whether to exercise the option on the fourth season of his contract. A decision not to extend the contract beyond its third season would diminish Griffin's trade value.

Griffin started 66 games for the Rockets last year, averaging 8.6 points and 6 rebounds a game. In 2001-2002, after becoming the first rookie to lead Houston in blocks since Hakeem Olajuwon did so during the 1984-85 season, he earned NBA All-Rookie Second Team honors.

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said earlier this month that he hoped the time away from the team would allow Griffin to "get himself together."

Griffin has an unresolved mar1juana possession charge against him stemming from an arrest in April. He was the seventh overall pick of the New Jersey Nets in 2001 and was traded to the Rockets for three first-round draft choices.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's still going to effect the team just as much as it would have if he would have been active.

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I guess everything got resolved between joepatc and David.:)

4. Timing

Timing Member

Judging from the scazzyness of how this girlfriend has been portrayed it's certainly possible it's all bullcrap and some kind of a setup, especially since at least the neighbor interviewed heard no shots. People in upscale neighborhoods kinda pay attention when gunshots go off in the middle of the night, there would have been calls to the cops I would imagine reporting gunshots.

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good God, this thread has gone in a lot of directions. So many drama queens in here :D
    Hope Eddies okay, I'm sure he'll have some trade value still...but one things certain- He need him off this team!
    He's a perfect example of how NBA players shouldn't be: a druggy, in trouble with the law, wife/girlfriend beater(allegedly), several no calls-no shows from work(come on! ev1 has a cell phone these days!) , and has shown absolutely no improvement after being in the league for 2 years.
    I'm not supporting this cat, he's screwed up. Damaged goods. The rockets were screwed by the Nets, lets move on and look forward to supporting the other 12 guys that actually give a damn about having the best job in the world. So long Eddie, thanks for giving and taking away our hope for you.

6. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Frankly, I could care less

With all the breaks he has had in life and the for all the Rockets have given up for him, I think it is time for him to give an apology rather than the Rockets whiping his a$$

7. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

About custody, I'm no expert, but the man is usually the breadwinner of a family. If the man gets custody, how is the woman going to do her part in the support the child? Financially? Not likely. Generally, I'd say the woman could barely afford herself. The financial responsibility is usually bestowed upon the man.
    Just my opinion of course.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He's going to jail,....If I broke out my Bushmaster and put a bunch of holes in the house of my ex-wife toward her...this act doesn't help me see my kids...

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Chron.com has updated their story again:

Police investigate alleged shooting at Eddie Griffin's home
    By PEGGY O'HARE
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Houston police are investigating allegations that Rockets' forward Eddie Griffin beat his girlfriend and shot at her at his southwest Houston home early today.

Joann Romero, 21, was not hit by the gunfire, but told officers Griffin shot at her twice, police officials said. Griffin has not been charged with any wrongdoing, said Houston Police Department spokesman Alvin Wright. The case will be referred to HPD's family violence unit for further investigation, he said.

Police have not yet spoken with Griffin, and his whereabouts later today were unknown, Wright said. Officers hope to obtain a statement from the athlete, he said.

"She says she will prosecute," Wright said, but added, "no one saw him do it. It's just going to be her word against his."

Romero, of the 9600 block of Maribelle, was taken to Spring Branch Medical Center, where she was treated and released, said hospital spokeswoman Kim Long. A Houston police report states an officer noticed "serious injuries" to Romero's "facial area," Wright said.

Romero told police the assault and gunfire happened at Griffin's two-story, $266,000 home in the 3900 block of Shadow Trace Circle, located in the gated, upscale Shadowlake community off Dairy Ashford Road. She left the house and called police later from another undisclosed location to report the incident, Wright said.

It was not immediately known how much time may have elapsed between the alleged disturbance and Romero's call to police, he said.

After receiving Romero's call at 5:03 a.m. at HPD's Northwest Patrol station, officers went to Griffin's home, where a relative claimed not to have seen the assault and said he didn't know where Griffin was, Wright said. Police supervisors found blood on the driveway and two shell casings in front of the house, Wright said.

A man claiming to be Eddie Griffin called police at 5:28 a.m. to report someone had just broken into the home, Wright said. But officers did not find Griffin at the home, he said.

One of Griffin's next-door neighbors reported he did not hear any gunfire early today, but was awakened in the middle of the night by police officers in his driveway.

Police found Griffin's cousin and another woman at the home in an upscale Houston neighborhood this morning. The cousin told police he hadn't seen or heard anything, Wright said.

The woman at the home, however, told police Griffin had been downstairs talking with a female and had "beat the woman up and shot at her," Wright said.

Wendy Baker, an assistant district attorney who was the acting chief today, said no charges have been presented to the D.A.'s office yet. She said a case number hasn't even been assigned to the matter.

She said she had taken a few calls from police with legal questions, which she said is customary during investigations.

Today's reported incident was news to Griffin's lawyer.

"I know absolutely nothing, " Rusty Hardin said this morning. "I'm trying to find out where everybody is and what is happening. There's really nothing I can tell you."

Rockets spokesman Dan McKenna said the team was aware of the situation but did not have an immediate comment.
    Griffin, a two-year veteran out of Seton Hall, was projected as a candidate for the Rockets' starting lineup this year, but has been a problem in pre-season camp. He has been indefinitely suspended "for conduct detrimental to the team."

The suspension began after he skipped a trip to Sacramento. Griffin, 21, the youngest player on the team, then missed a practice and a special workout Friday as part of the process for working his way back from the suspension.

This morning's incident could further complicate the Rockets' decision about Griffin's future since they have to decide by Friday whether to exercise the option on the fourth season of his contract. A decision not to extend the contract beyond its third season would diminish Griffin's trade value.

Griffin started 66 games for the Rockets last year, averaging 8.6 points and 6 rebounds a game. In 2001-2002, after becoming the first rookie to lead Houston in blocks since Hakeem Olajuwon did so during the 1984-85 season, he earned NBA All-Rookie Second Team honors.

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said earlier this month that he hoped the time away from the team would allow Griffin to "get himself together."

Griffin has an unresolved mar1juana possession charge against him stemming from an arrest in April. He was the seventh overall pick of the New Jersey Nets in 2001 and was traded to the Rockets for three first-round draft choices

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Guys,

Does anyone have factual evidence, other than heresay or rumors on the BBS, that shows that his giflfriend was withholding custody of his child???

I do not recall seeing a single official report anywhere to that fact. I've seen plenty of wild accusations and rumors reported.

So, until we can substantiate that this is truly a custody battle, maybe we should avoid jumping to further conclusions.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

That's changing, most families these days have both parents work. And I think if the women can bairely afford her self, the man should get the custody while the women visits on weekends, that would seem more logical to me. Like I said, the traditional roles in families are going away real fast and I think we should revamp the system to match it.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

What fun would that be?

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm in a wait and see mode with this Griffin thing.

BTW, didn't it turn out Lugo was innocent?

14. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

That's 3 first round picks (which I was pissed off about back then) - being an RJ fan (UofA),

though what you are saying is a bit too strong . . I believe it is time for the Rockets to say enough is enough. All of this crap will be hitting the national airwaves soon - so goodbye to EG's trade potential.

I believe I can honestly say that this kid has been the biggest disapointment in Rockets history. Not that he was the big hope, though in relation to what was given up for his sorry ass

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

In the movies the bad guys always use silencers. :)

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

That's some pretty damning evidence. I hope there's a good explaination for this.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't condone violence to women in anyway. Any man who hit's a woman is a coward plain and simple. That being said kick that b**** out of your house, Eddie. She will destroy you. Do whatever it takes to get custody of your child. Go back to work and play hard and earn your salary and use that money to do whatever it takes to get your child. But do not stay involved with this woman. She will destroy you.

Stay away from her. Do not have anything to do with her and only communnicate with her through your attorney. Also spend some of that money on therapy. You have issues and if you want to ba good father than you will need to deal with those issues. Get away and get help. Oh and play hard for the Rockets.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Why does it always come down to this? It's ALWAYS black and fu*king white, get over it already DAYYYYMMMNN!!!!

Being BLACK is the only thing I have in common with Eddie? Being BLACK is the only reason I ask for a little civility? Being BLACK is the only reason that I ask for support for a fellow human being? NEWSFLASH RIET: I would do the same for your pathetic, racist ass.

BTW "kumbayah" means "Come by here" and I don't think that you really want that...fo real

19. wizardball

wizardball Member

Griffin

was an idiot...

is an idiot...

will remain an idiot!!!

Sorry but why in hell will you not use your head!!!....shooting at someone!!!...how dumb is that....he thinks he's still in the hood....sad little fart...he wasted our three picks....i had nothing but bad feeling about this guy when we drafted him... the biggest BUST in NBA histroy...well atleast Rockets history....wish he shoots himself next ...before he harms anyone else...hope he enjoys jail...

hey ...i guess CATO & Boki will get more playing time.... :D

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Practice what you preach brother.