1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dissecting the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 21, 2007.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Shane Battier loses effectiveness coming off the bench, imo. His one enormous strength is defense. Why throw him out there against other teams backups, who generally, aren't as good offensively anyway?

With either Francis/James starting at PG and likely Scola starting at PF (regardless of adjustment period), you don't need any more than Battier's spot-up 3 point shooting offensively.

Having Francis/James both start also seems odd. They are too similar a player. They have differences sure, and I certainly expect to see many minutes with both in the game, but having one or the other be the first off the bench makes the most sense. Either one could be the Bobby Jackson of this team.

Otherwise, good post, except for the obvious over-optimistic tone...but that's been pretty contagious lately. The last 10+ years of watching this team has turned me into a realist, though...this team does appear to be stacked, but there are some potential chemistry issues, a new coaching staff and the West is still strong. Slow starts are really painful, and often hard to recover from.

This team could be really good...or it might not work...

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full; it is at 50% capacity. But the word I'd use for how I feel about the Rockets is cautious optimism. And it's going to remain that way until one of the following two things happen:
    -The season starts, and the Adelman team clicks and gels smoothly (then it's just optimism)
    -Bonzi Wells discovers Lopez Mexican Restaurant (then it's just pessimism)

3. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

I thought you meant he had a 12 lb. wallet.

Or he caught a 12 lb. fish that was making all those splashes.

I enjoyed the read, but I disagree with you on a few things here:

1. Glen Rice for John Amaechi was a pretty good deal for us. Rice barely played after that trade and I think the $9 million trade exception helped us get around Francis' BYC status in getting McGrady.

2. I'm not sure, but I don't think Les has to pull out his 12 pounder until next offseason - so there's still time to avoid the luxury tax.

3. Luther Head is more expendable than Rafer Alston IMO. Francis AND James are combo guards that will take every one of Luther's minutes (and shots) - but Rafer could possibly occupy some time as a change-of-pace distributor at the point. I do, however, recognize that there's probably a better market for Rafer at this point (MIA, LAC, etc.)

Great points all over your post, though.

4. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Not to be overly dramatic, but this is not only the most exciting off season we have ever had, but it may be on paper, one of the best off seasons in NBA history. Honestly, when is the last time a team has potentially added this many impact players while giving up next to nothing. Even more important, it is a team coming off a 52 win season.

Yes, the Lakers brought in Malone and Payton to add to Shaq and Kobe in one offseason. But Malone and Payton were clearly on the back end of their careers. At least we have added younger players and experienced vets, and more importantly, addressed our major areas of need. Brooks is a rookie, Scola only 27, James 31, and Francis 30. Then there is Bonzi who did nothing last year but seems ready to go this year. All should be able to come in and play somewhat effectively if not make major contributions.

Most impressive, is we did it all with the 26 pick in the draft, Juwan Howard, a useless Vspan, and two second round picks. And of course the off season isnt done and who knows what else might still happen.

Lastly, I do realize Bonzi could be a bust again, Francis could play like his NY days not his Houston days, James could bring a bad attitude, Scola could be slow to make the transition, and Brooks' size will show up as a problem in the NBA unlike in summer league. However, I do know that the fans from just about every other team are jealous about the changes we have made so far.

5. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

i dont understand how bonzi could be a "bust"

he has already proven himself on several teams, in several postseasons, he IS a proven nba impact player. he rebounds and defends above average for his position and when his offense accompanies, he is a valuable asset. he just chose not to put up last year for vangundy, and i hope its not coming again this year. i think its possible his tank is out of gas, because slow guards don't age well and i dont see him getting anymore athletic. but how would he be a bust? eddie griffin was a bust. langhi: bust. bonzi is in absentia.

bonzi is a fading star at worst, but not a bust. this season he seems committed to putting it all on the table, so his year should be the perfect litmus test. new system, management.

last chance bonzi

6. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I wouldn't let go of Deke just yet. The guy probably has a year or two left and still contributes. I love his shot blocking and rebounding.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I just could never like that trade. I hated and kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. The thing that hit me the hardest was that we gave Utah draft picks to take Rice off of our hands.

8. YaleYoung

YaleYoung New Member

support!
    If We get Foster, just put him in the lineup instead for Scola. So our bench would be the best in the league.

MJ/Bonzi/Scola/JB beat every team at the end of 1st & the first of 2nd!

9. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I meant a bust for the season or a bust in regards to a FA signing. He has had a good career, but obviously if he were to leave the Rockets, his tenure here would have been considered a bust even though we got him for so cheap, mainly because so much was expected of him when he signed.

10. devin23

devin23 Member

I would start Battier. Especially if we play teams like the lakers, wizards, heats, cavs, etc. Otherwise, our offensive minded starters have to guard the likes of kobe, areans, wade, james, etc. Better to have a defensive minded player for that.

11. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

If the season started today, the only question in my mind about a starting position would be point guard. It's either going to be Steve Francis or Mike James.

1) Steve Francis / Mike James
    2) Tracy McGrady
    3) Shane Battier
    4) Luis Scola
    5) Yao Ming

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Outstanding post, excellent anaylsis. I especially like the backcourt of James and Francis. Plus, I love TMac back at the three. It will be interesting to see what Adelman does.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

great post, you should work for ESPN.

14. tsunami

tsunami Member

Should Steve start? or should he play Bobby Jackson's role?

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Come off the bench like Bobby Jackson. James and Francis look too risky together.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They do look risky, and it may not happen, but we will definitely see them playing together during stretches of games, and if by some stroke of luck they mesh together well, Adelman will go with the best backcourt combination. It's really a trip. Thinking about the suddenly endless combinations the Rocks have to put on the court is the most fun I've had in awhile, outside the sack. ;)

Great post, crash, and while I wonder about those two in the backcourt starting, I like the idea of McGrady at the three. True, as one of the best wings in the league, he fits no pat description as to his position, but Adelman said he intended to make it easier for Tracy on the court. I believe him.

17. Astockmarketgod

nice post... looks like we will have a few disposible assets to trade for another solid starter material... looking forward to seeing what Morey does now...

18. g1184

g1184 Member

With their ability to get to the basket, it would be a real problem for opposing teams' defenses. How many teams have a guard good enough to guard one of them, let alone two to guard both? Should be sweet.

off-topic: With Adelman's offense, more alley-oops from Francis to Yao, or from Yao to Francis?

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats one crazy signature there man. i may have to change mine to that.

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I rather have Shane in the starting lineup with Yao, Scola\Chuck, Shane, Tmac and Mike James. With james and shane in the starting lineup the spacing is alot better for yao and Tmac to work with. I rather have Francis come off the bench and give the green light to James, Bonzi and Francis to dominate the ball as our 2nd unit.