1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Disney+ TV] Star Wars: Andor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 26, 2022.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

It's hard to put into words how well the characters are layered. It's all so believable, and relatable. So good. And Cassian barely said a word as he navigated the prison, but you could feel several emotions from confusion, to hopelessness, to disdain, survival... and then layered in there you just know Cassian was observing everything and trying to formulate a plan. Loved it. Meanwhile all these players will have to learn how to trust each other and they obviously do not because of the empire and their own personal imperfections. All that comes across with barely a word.

Also, that other new Star Wars toon on the Mouse Channel was informative as well.

#61 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Jontro, K mf G, GRENDEL and 2 others like this.
  2. Beezy

Beezy Member

Yeah, this show has no right being this good. It's excellent.

GRENDEL likes this.
  3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This is probably the best SW series and it appears that people don't really care all that much....

“Andor” Viewer Engagement Is Rather Low

Though it may have scored the best reviews of any “Star Wars” series to date, the still airing “Andor” is proving to be unengaging with audiences, it would seem.

Brandon Katz, a strategist for Parrot Analytics, has posted a report indicating that viewer demand for “Andor” is currently charting behind all of its other Disney+ series predecessors so far – and by far.

As streamers only release their numbers at their discretion, it’s not clear exactly how many people are watching the series. What can be tracked is online engagement, discussion, and so forth. This is where this fourth “Star Wars” live-action series is falling behind those that came before.

The analysts posted a graph of the ‘Daily Demand’ of “Star Wars” series in the weeks up to and after their launches. The key value is the multiple by which the show is exceeding the demand of the average title in the market.

The first season of “The Mandalorian,” “The Book of Boba Fett,” and “Obi-Wan Kenobi” all launched to demand of around 25-30 times (25-30x) that of your average show for that day, whilst the second season of “The Mandalorian” launched at around 60x.

The first season of “The Mandalorian” skyrocketed up in its first two weeks, hitting highs around the 130x range mid-run, whilst its second season hit a high of around 97x. Both “Boba Fett” and “Obi-Wan Kenobi” peaked at just over the 40x range.

“Andor ” on the other hand, had a start around the 6x range and has only dropped in the weeks since. What this suggests is “Andor” is struggling to reach an audience outside of the hardcore faithful.

Already there’s speculation as to the reasons for this. “Star Wars” fatigue is being cited as one, but another big reason is that much of the online conversation is being redirected elsewhere – namely to HBO Max’s “House of the Dragon,” Amazon Prime’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power,” and even fellow Disney+ series “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law”.

With “Rings” and “She-Hulk” having finished their seasons last week and “Dragon” set to wrap this Sunday, it is possible attention will turn toward “Andor” in the back half of its first season release. Others may simply be waiting for it to wrap so it can be binge-watched.

As reviewers of the series have described, “Andor” has avoided the fan service and callbacks of its predecessors in favor of a patient, deliberate tone and a slow burn three-act structure to the season that doesn’t lend itself to week-to-week discussions. This has led to another question – should this have been released as a full season rather than weekly episodes?

A clearer picture is expected shortly, with Nielsen ratings later this week to announce the top 10 from the week “Andor” had its season premiere on the Disney+ service. That should offer a clearer picture of the show’s actual viewership.

“Andor” has just aired its seventh episode. For those waiting to binge-watch, the series will close out its run on November 23rd – just in time for the Thanksgiving weekend.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/andor-viewer-engagement-is-rather-low/

Jontro and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

The future is inevitable in the form of bite size entertainment. The lack of patience by future audiences isn't wrong, it just is. Dune wanted 5 hours, lol, and it deserves 5 hours, but the future won't allow it. Those Directors will die off because nobody will watch what they produce. All of it will soon fall under an umbrella I will just call Dark Hollywood. A place where long form quality movies, tv, and stories will exist for a minority of people who still want it. We've all come along at a critical time for the industry. This is the end as we know it. Andor is being subsidized by all the other Disney stuff, but I can't imagine that model working for long. Bite size is profitable and consumable.

Jontro likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

im through like episode 5.

easily the best star wars thing ive seen since the originals, so 30+ years.

Its on par with stuff like The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica in terms of sci-fi... a step below at the moment, but i can see it getting there.

What a fantastic show - well written, extremely well acted, with incredible visuals.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm two episodes in and it's such a snooze fest. When does this get good?

Jontro likes this.
  7. Beezy

Beezy Member

The third episode. The first 2 are a bit slow. If you don't like it after the 3rd, move on.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well that's what happens when you half-ass Boba and Kenobi with trash writing and cringy side characters (speeder gang, Reva), Disney is losing fans with their nonsense and everyone but Kathleen Kennedy knows it.
    She should've been sacked and replaced by Filoni years ago.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Okay, after watching the 3rd episode, it definitely got better. They should've condensed the first 2 episodes into 1.

Jontro likes this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Going to have to watch this. I completely forgot about it. Too much **** going on, lol.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

After watching 3 episodes of Kenobi I thought I was done with Star Wars. I reluctantly started this earlier this week, It is pretty damn good. Some very intense moments in the heist, and the prison stuff is captivating.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This show ***** on every other Star Wars media ever in existence. People really need to see this show. It's the only Star wars media I can think of that is actually good without needing a "Star wars" setting.

This show does one thing that George Lucas and other Star Wars media just doesn't do well. World building. It actually makes you care about the stakes of the rebellion. You actually see how the Empire effects normal people. You actually see the crawl into absolute authoritarianism.

And the acting delivery by pretty much all the actors is A+.

Rocket River and GRENDEL like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Sad isn't it.

Mandalorian is a fun series. It's very easy to digest and it's very simple. But it's sad that it's a much more popular series than something like Andor.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is sad that people like fun?

Jontro likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

It's sad that people don't enjoy some depth. Some basic world building. It makes the actions the characters do more meaningful.

It's not that I don't wish shows like the Mandalorian to succeed. I wish shows like Andor would succeed(in terms of viewership) as much as shows like the Mandalorian.

#75 fchowd0311, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    GRENDEL likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

While Andor is good, it's a spin off of a spin off and doesn't have something to draw in the general public. I think Mandalorian did well mostly because of Baby Yoda. Book of Boba Fett plays off Boba Fett's popularity, but it was honestly trash.

Many shows that get critical acclaim are more serialized and harder for public consumption, so unfortunately they suffer lower ratings. As I mentioned before, the first two episodes were an absolute drag to get through. The Kenari subplot hasn't paid any dividends and should've been focused on closer to its payoff.

blue_eyed_devil and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

People like what people like. I don't find it sad that people find things that they enjoy even if it something I don't like/appreciate as long as it doesn't interfere with what I like (Phillies fans can rot in hell for the next week).

A rising tide lifts all boats. The success of shows like the Mandalorian allow more shows to be made. Sure more will be copycats of success, but it also allows for different things to be made.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is truly a great show
    the problem is
    It's TOO Star Wars for the non Star Wars fans
    and
    NOT sStar Wars enough for Star Wars fans

Rocket River
    If either gave it a shot they would like it.

Jontro likes this.
  19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I believe the issue with the show is that it doesn't have any sex appeal, meaning characters with Jedi or Sith storylines. It's just Star Wars without the bigger overarching powerful good vs bad.

This is probably the best Star Wars show on par with The Mandalorian. The acting and storytelling is top notch, though it started really slow. Glad I did not quit on it. Solid 8/10

Jontro likes this.
  20. Entropy

Entropy Member

As far as low ratings go, I was neutral towards Andor in Rogue One, so there was no reason for me to watch him in a series where he's the main character. That being said, I do love Diego Luna's acting in other things.

Jontro likes this.