1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disney Rejecting Woke Approach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 11, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still haven't seen Shang Chi but from the moment I saw the trailers I knew Marvel had the PRC in mind. I highly doubt the original 1973 Shang Chi had much to do with it being banned in the PRC, although PRC netizens can be both diligent and sensitive about past history. I'm guessing this has far more to do with current tensions between the countries and Simu Lieu's past comments.

Still one of my criticism about Shang Chi, Mulan and Crazy Rich Asians is that just putting in a bunch of Chinese actors and characters means that it will automatically be popular for a Chinese audience or speak to Chinese experience. As far as cross cultural understanding I'm not sure how much a Marvel storyline based upon an originally racist depiction can foster cross cultural understanding. If people want to understand how people in the PRC think and why they act the way they do movies like Ip Man are far better for that.

B-Bob and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that Disney is headed by Gringos who think that if you put Aquafina in every movie with Asians and give her a weird friend only role as herself that Asians in China and the east are going to flock to see it.

the strategy of Disney and Marvel in this phase is very clear. Take the obscure characters like the externals and do whatever you want with them to make money. A few race and gender swaps to gain some woke cred and a new audience

3. tinman

Supporting Member

IP man is hilarious on how they depict Americans as these cartoon characters.
    Those Asian movies make Jean Claude Van damme look Oscar worthy

4. tinman

Supporting Member

The Chinese version of Shang Chi
    Is Chow Da
    @Jontro
    [​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Well, duh. China is a huge market. You can see Chinese actors, culture and locations being included in big budget movies for the past decade.

You can bet they pirated the **** out of this movie and you can buy it on the street in any city in China.

jiggyfly and Slyonebluejay like this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

But Disney ain’t making money on the pirate versions
    See the problem for them ?
    They have to bend over and look for any cracks in their movie but forget the western Asians don’t like the communist party

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Disney is a multinational corporation....

The spate of hispanic/latin american animated movies ain't about wokeness but about that paper.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I mean the MCU has made more money in 10 yrs
    than Marvel Comics ever made . . .unless I am mistaken

I think K.F. is doing fine

Rocket River

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well it appeals to me but I guess I do care a little about what mainlanders think.

Raya was actually a movie that tried to appeal to South East Asian by mixing a bunch of non Chinese cultures into a hotpot storyline. Don't think it did well during covid but even then it got criticism for placing mostly Chinese actors as the voices and having a Caucasian director.

Sure it's about money first but they are trying more than before and still trying to figure what can please everybody

I'm guessing that's the same thing with them figuring out Latin American heroes. Some folks still fondly remember and like Speedy Gonzales while others think he and the other mice are offensive caricatures. Some Latinos hate Mexican culture being in the limelight as the media representation while others rather have anything as a sign of progress

#89 Invisible Fan, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    jiggyfly and Slyonebluejay like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I am completely right that the second half of Shang Chi is that crap Great Wall movie with Matt Damon except it’s Aquafina instead of Matt Damon with the arrows
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

didn't see great wall and skipped most of shang chi cept for the end and post credit. glad i did so.

is awkwajarjar still not cancelled yet?

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

This is the second half of Shang Chi
    Explained before that movie was created or copied

@rocketsjudoka

#92 tinman, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Jontro likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't like her much, but she is "Asian American" (yay I guess) rather than a bone to pander at the Mainlanders.

Apparently they think she's too ugly and don't "act asian" (yup). I know my Taiwanese mom don't like her much and spotted her out in Shang Chi as the 'loose dragon' from Raya...

As for that Farewell movie, kinda boring and don't remember the ending.

jiggyfly, tinman and Jontro like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Woke used to be a term from black subculture regarding racial awareness before it got commandeered to mean being politically correct

jiggyfly and Haymitch like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Our hero Shang had to do probably a thousand sit-ups a day and cut carbs
    while it looks like Awkwafina doesn't have to do anything but eat cheetos is probably not what the movie goers want
    regardless of origin country

nobody wants fat superheroes or fat sidekicks
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Some people are in to that potato-shaped body.

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

@Jontro
    I guess the Chinese mainland audience wants sweet potatoes instead of mr potato

Jontro likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just roll my eyes when someone starts talking about something being “too woke”

anything that isn’t straight white male centric gets that label these days

since the pandemic, I’ve only been to the theater once

Marvel hasn’t put anything out since Endgame that requires rushing to the theater, and no, it’s not because of being “woke”

I didn’t even know who tf Shang Chi was…never heard of that character…I’m not running to the theater for that

Black Widow? She’s cool and all, but I’ll wait and watch that at home. Still haven’t seen it.

then they’ve got all those shows on Disney+ that need watching

I’ve had superhero overload and need a break

19. Xerobull

The acting stuff legends are made out of

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I haven’t seen anything Marvel has put out post-Endgame, and I’m wondering, has anything been a must watch?

at this point, I’m like wake me up when the next Dr Strange, GOTG, or Black Panther comes out…or hit me up when they introduce the next main villain…the next Thanos