1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disney Rejecting Woke Approach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 11, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. conquistador#11

. Remember how people freaked out when Mr. Glover might play the new Spiderman in 2011. Reverse wokeness. Spiderman black? nooooo! That's not my spiderman!
    Superman an illegal Alien? Get off my lawn!

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Skinemax and Married With Children.

Reminds me of an ep on ds9 where Dax and her ex wife makes out for half the episode and as a teenager I'm thinking "is this wrong? Cuz it doesn't look wrong"

Deckard and Nook like this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That site has been running "red pilled" stories like this for years. Black Panther was going to end Marvel, right until it was a huge success. Then Brie Larson was totally getting fired for being "woke" for about two years - even after the Captain Marvel sequel was cast. Shang Chi was another target.

Their main complaint against the horrible Star Wars lady at Disney was "too woke" as well. They love dropping the alt right buzz words.

They are the Newsmax of comic book news.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I still don't care.

DD

Deckard, rhino17, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Shang Chi was awesome and the only reason it didn't have great numbers was because of Chinese censorship.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

How big is $1B in the box office nowadays? With inflation on ticket prices I would bet studios who'd say $1B was outstanding in the 00s would want $1.5B+ for the same movie today. Not as many people were seeing these movies in theaters and that is ore pandemic.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Generally agree and I'm a huge DS9 fan. That said they had a lot of "wokeness" and would club you at times with it.

For example the first same sex kiss on a public broadcast.

They were very overt too regarding issues of race and even did a whole episode of racism in the 1950's including noting police brutality towards minorities.

There were also many episodes dealing with issues of poverty, class struggle, and refugee resettlement. As the producers themselves said the Bajorans were based upon oppressed and poor people such as the Palestinians.

Why it didn't feel like it was in your face was that the story and acting were so good but DS9 was possibly the most woke of the Star Trek series.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

THIS!

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

This.

the most important thing I learned is that in 2021 there is a man with the last name "Doomcock".

How hasn't someone over the last 150 years not changed the name? Hell, change the spelling and pronunciation to "Doomclock"....

Nope.... he still goes around telling people he is Mr. Doomcock.

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

As a consumer, I watch these movies to forget how shitty society is. By bringing in societal issues to the storyline, you're not allowing me to escape. Just make the movies with the correct corresponding actor. If the entire movie should be played by a bunch of caucasian eunuchs, then go get 'em. If the character requires a strong "minority" actor, then go get 'em. Just stop pussifying because that **seems** to be the right thing. These films are supposed to be escapes...and by not allowing us to escape, it's turning the stories into mush.

At least pr0n is pure.

12. Invisible Fan

Widow wasn't really woke at all. The story was too much of a throwaway and wasn't tragic like Rogue One to make BW be even more legendary. If it were a five part series on D+ people would be eating it up more than Falcon.

I had issues with Captain Marvel because her one dimensional alien teacher was overbearing and paternalistic to set up the scene where she essentially says She don't need a man at all. There were other scenes like that that hits you with a ton of bricks.

I'm like sure you might've earned control over your powers but the ****ing cube made you more than your gender. Wtf does that teach the audience anyways...

clos4life likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

His family Americanized it when the immigrated from Bohemia in the 30's, it was originally Deumkak

Deckard, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Dr Doomcock: Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Lar, Deckard, xcrunner51 and 5 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

All In The Family is an example.

Everyone now that watches the show says how pathetic Archie Bunker is.... but at the time it was VERY split, and they approached the issues head on, but it was very well written.... and the characters addressing the issues were WHITE so it was not too overwhelming for the audience.

"Woke" has always been pushed by Hollywood, just a lot of it isn't controversial now because those that thought it was not "right" or "proper" died and those that grew up with some degree or acceptance remain.

16. dmoneybangbang

People are conflating “woke” with corporations trying to reach greater audiences.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's true. Disney was never woke. It was fake woke, where it just sends out some woke signaling in hopes of gaining the favor of morons and/or increasing cash flow. Most massive companies (probably all) are similarly using wokism.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2016 -- Captain America: Civil War was the highest grossing film worldwide --
    $1,153,296,293

2017 -- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 -- $863,756,051; Spider-Man: Homecoming -- $880,166,924 ; Thor: Ragnarok --
    $853,977,126 -- Only 4 films from that years reached over $1 Billion with the Last Jedi being the highest grossing. Fan favorites, like Wonder Woman, Justice League, Transformers: the Last Knight (previous sequel made over a billion), and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales didn't come close to a $1 Billion worldwide, either.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2017/

2018 -- Black Panther $1,346,913,161 $200 Million Budget -- No other film in 2018 made this much outside of Avengers: Infinity War.
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: Budget -- $130–195 million
    2019 -- Avengers:Endgame $2,797,501,328 $356 Million Budget
    The Lion King II ($1,656,943,394); Frozen II ($1,450,026,933)
    Captain Marvel -- $1,128,274,794. $150 Million Budget (7.52x against its original budget)
    Spider-Man: Far from Home -- $1,131,927,996 $160 Million Budget

Captain America Civil War - -$1,153,296,293 -- $250 Million
    Iron Man 2 -- ($600 million - $200 million budget)
    Thor ($440 million $150 million budget)

$1.5 is not realistic goal, outside of a big release Disney film or grander MCU-release. 2012 Avengers -- $1,518,812,988 ($220 Million)
    2015 -- The Force Awakens ($2,068,223,624); Jurassic World ($1,670,400,637); and Furious 7 ($1,515,047,671).

No film in 2000-2008, 2010-2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020, or 2021 grossed over $1.5 Billion. Avatar was the only film, before The Avengers (2012) that grossed over $1.5 Billion at the box office.

Even adjusted for inflation only 2 films have ever cracked $1.5 Billion ever. Gone With the Wind and Star Wars: A New Hope, remember both films have been re-released several times through a couple of decades.

I'll use Captain Marvel as an example. Not a film I liked or hated, nor thought it was great or terrible. But, if we go only by ticket sales -- it had sold more tickets than Captain America: Civil War, Wonder Woman, Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2/Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man (2/3 as well), and even Spider-Man: Far from Home. No Thor, No Hulk film, or the other Captain America movies made it into the top 200 (All-Time, Adjusted for Inflation).

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2019

It's silly fan-boy and political propaganda fulling the evil of "Wokeness," which is having absolutely no effect on the business. Perhaps, adding different types of characters for diversity, though I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing after a character has been introduced, unless it is poorly written. Though, the problem with that is that poorly written characters existed well-before these characters were added, so what is the problem exactly?

Deckard, Scarface281 and HI Mana like this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Anti-Woke, same as Gamergate.

No, it is a bunch of white males who think they are the center of the Universe and it should always be that way. Their small Genitalia can't handle how the world is changing.

jiggyfly and rhino17 like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There were scenes like this peppered through just about every Star Trek series. TOS, TNG, DS9, Discovery, etc. all had/have some "whoa" moments. I think the problem today is people congregate in bigger groups of opinion and feed on it until each opinion blows up. Much of that is thanks to social media, of course. Regarding your comment about the acting : one other reason may be is that if you disagreed with Dax kissing another woman or Kirk kissing Uhura, or Lokai and Bele fighting because the wrong side of each of their face is black/white, you only saw it in that one episode. It didn't carry over to the next episode (for the most part). I guess it's the difference between episodic vs. serialized tv. Star Trek : Discovery is serialized, so when you see that dude smackin' lips with that other dude, if you can't take it, tough... you'll probably be seeing it again. :D

Most of these so-called "woke" themes have been in comics for a few years. It's a change in how they're being talked about, I guess. Personally, a lot of these themes don't mean anything to me. The main reason I never watched comic book movies is that they seemed to ruin how I knew the characters or titles. I never really watched them for great acting (I guess). The "woke" themes are next-to-nothing for me -- I usually ignore them.

plutoblue11 and clos4life like this.