1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disney putting Offensive Content label on the Muppets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

As usual you don't really have a point and now want to drown me in words.

Not gonna continue with this one has worse than the other because I would like to talk about solutions for everybody.

Good day sir.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So are you denying that boomers and gen xers own a larger percentage of the home market than millennials therefore disproportionately benefiting from the skyrocketing cost of home values compared to millennials?

Are you denying that millennials sought higher education when it was much more expensive relative to when boomer sand gen X'ers sought higher education?

Healthcare costs negatively effect all. That I agree with. But not homeownership and education costs. Those disproportionately negatively effect millennials and gen Z'ers relative to boomers and gen X'ers.

Gen Z'ers are going to have it even worse if we don't do a course correction.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

and futurama which is now also on the disney platform is being labelled transphobic

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related:

A Simple Way to Reduce Polarization: Learn the Other Side Thinks of You in Surprisingly Positive Ways

https://www.allsides.com/blog/simple-way-reduce-polarization-learn-what-other-side-thinks-about-you

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look I get it,

if Gorilla Glue has to tell people not to put their product in their hair

Disney has to tell that the Muppets are a bunch of Puppets that tell jokes and sing

People are falling off cliffs taking pictures for instagram likes which falsely boosts their self esteem

[​IMG]

6. tinman

Supporting Member

The rappers now are named Da Baby

appropriately because their generation is a bunch of cry babbies
    @Os Trigonum

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I had no idea the implications of this were so broad and that we should be concerned about who or what the Russians laugh at.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

Don't you have Russian friends? I do.
    99ers have lots of interesting friends of all backgrounds and cultures.
    We're a well cultured crew.

#88 tinman, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

By who?

And why do they matter?

10. tinman

Supporting Member

WARNING!!!!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

#91 Buck Turgidson, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. Buck Turgidson

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Finally. I find the high squeaking sounds offensive to my ears.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

on some level I feel like “spark conversation” is analogous to “just asking questions”

neither are bad . Both can be annoying AF

I’m not outraged . But I feel somewhat aligned with the “this has gone too far” crowd.

I’m not against offensive content labels
    And warnings etc , but there is someone that can take offense towards anything . At some level , a certain amount of risk to offensive exposure should be tolerated. I don’t know what that balance is .

ryan_98, Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As for the outrage...some old folks can't cope what the new normal is.

If I were to tell you that writers born in 1940-50s were cooking up shows you know and love, and the definition of "diversity" in that group were white jewish males, yeah maybe the content is one sided and contains some cultural landmines.

Threaten to "punish" your wife and send her to the moon?

Just a joke p*****s!

A content warning isn't that bad. South Park and Family Guy aren't canceled yet, so quit yer b****in.

TV raised me and I sure as hell didn't get the jokes when I spent hours and hours watching it. Heck, if I were a kid, I'd look out for those warnings...makes the show cooler.

Almost everything pre 2005 is transphobic.

#95 Invisible Fan, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    ryan_98, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am with you on all of that if they removed it I would feel some kind of way but putting a label on it is pretty innocuous IMO.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

The new normal everyone is some soft Porzinguses because their no talent generation can’t create good content like the Hakeem generation
    @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Look at all the reboots of TV shows or movies

This generation has no talent and creativity, the whole 'I'm offended thing' shields that that can never touch the genius of the Muppets

I mean you suckers deserve DA BABY and LIL TWIST and TEKASHI69

YOUR GENERATION HAS NO TALENT

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Come on, now, everyone. The Muppets run around bare-assed. We all knew this day would get here.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/opinion/bon-appetit-cancel-culture.html

Woke Me When It’s Over
    In the humorless world of Woke, the satire is never funny and the statute of limitations never expires, even when it comes to hamantaschen.
    By Bret Stephens
    Opinion Columnist
    Feb. 22, 2021

In 2015, Bon Appétit ran an article by the food writer Dawn Perry about hamantaschen, the triangular cookies that are a tradition during the Jewish festival of Purim. It was headlined — brace yourself for outrage — “How to Make Actually Good Hamantaschen.”

Six years later, a woman named Abigail Koffler found the article while researching hamantaschen fillings. She was not amused.

Perry, Koffler wrote on Twitter, isn’t Jewish. Perry’s husband, Koffler added, had been forced out of his job at Condé Nast last year based on accusations of racial bias. Above all, Koffler objected, “Traditional foods do not automatically need to be updated, especially by someone who does not come from that tradition.”

Most Jews would probably be grateful for an “actually good” hamantasch. Yet within hours of Koffler’s tweets, Bon Appétit responded with an editor’s note atop the article, now renamed “5 Steps to Really Good Hamantaschen.” It’s a note that defies summary, parody and belief.

“The original version of this article included language that was insensitive toward Jewish food traditions and does not align with our brand’s standards,” the editor wrote. “As part of our Archive Repair Project, we have edited the headline, dek, and content to better convey the history of Purim and the goals of this particular recipe. We apologize for the previous version’s flippant tone and stereotypical characterizations of Jewish culture.”

Behold in this little story, dear reader, the apotheosis of Woke.

No transgression of sensitivities is so trivial that it will not invite a moralizing rebuke on social media.

No cultural tradition is so innocuous that it needn’t be protected from the slightest criticism, at least if the critic has the wrong ethnic pedigree.

No writer is so innocent that she should be spared from having her spouse’s alleged failings trotted out to suggest discrimination-by-association.

And no charge of cultural insensitivity is so far-fetched that it won’t force a magazine into self-abasing self-expurgation. What Bon Appétit blithely calls its “Archive Repair Project” is, according to The Associated Press, an effort to scour “55 years’ worth of recipes from a variety of Condé Nast magazines in search of objectionable titles, ingredient lists and stories told through a white American lens.”

George Orwell warned in “1984” of a world in which “the past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth.” At the Ministry of Truth, Winston Smith was obliged to rewrite what had been said about sweets — chocolate, not cookies — to hide the fact of ever-dwindling rations.

What Bon Appétit — which saw its editor depart last year after a 16-year-old Halloween photo of him trying to look like a Puerto Rican stereotype resurfaced on the internet — is doing with its recipe archive may seem like a farce. But it’s a telling one. If a major media company like Condé Nast can choose to erase and rewrite its food archives for the sake of current Woke sensibilities, why stop there?

In the summer of 2008, The New Yorker ran cover art of Barack and Michelle Obama giving each other a fist bump in the Oval Office. He was dressed in Middle Eastern garb. She had a machine gun slung over her shoulder and wore her hair in a big Afro. A portrait of Osama bin Laden hung over the mantel, and an American flag was burning in the fire. Even by the comparatively liberal standards of 2008, the cover was considered egregious.

At the time, The New Yorker’s editor, David Remnick, defended the art by saying that it was satirical. But in the humorless world of Woke, the satire is never funny, the statute of limitations never expires, Remnick’s intentions are irrelevant and his judgments inherently biased. If Condé Nast is serious about “repairing” its archives for the sake of rectifying past sins, there’s no good reason not to erase that cover, too.

What comes next? In January, Jason Kilborn, a law professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, was placed on indefinite administrative leave, barred from campus and kicked off his committee assignments after students protested that he had included “n____” and “b_____” as part of his semester exam on civil procedure.

No, he didn’t use the slurs themselves. He just wrote the first letter followed by a line. It still didn’t spare him.

“The visual of the N-word on Professor Kilborn’s exam was mental terrorism,” claimed a petition from the Black Law Students Association.

Whatever happens to Kilborn, every professor in America has now been put on notice: In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.

A friend of mine, a lifelong liberal whose patience is running thin with the new ethos of moral bullying, likes to joke, “Woke me when it’s over.” To which I say: Get comfortable.

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor. We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here are some tips. And here’s our email: letters@nytimes.com.